• Register Today It's free!

Modify AWD programming?

Marc S

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Is anyone modifying the AWD programming to get more rear bias?

Anyone experienced the performance in a sport with torque steer compensation turned off?

The 2013 is great, but the FWD takes some getting used to!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is anyone modifying the AWD programming to get more rear bias?

Anyone experienced the performance in a sport with torque steer compensation turned off?

The 2013 is great, but the FWD takes some getting used to!
Welcome to the Forum Marc.:wave:
When you state "torque steer compensation" are you referring to Traction Control? No one here has posted about modifying the AWD bias. Not sure it is even possible since it would likely affect all TMS settings. I've read various post about torque steer but can't say I've experienced it.

Peter

There is a setting on the forscan Excel sheet by platinumOwner for the power steering module that is called Torque Steer Compensation.... Not sure what it is ... (Thanks for all of the info platinumOwner!)

I've read that the PIU has a different tune for the AWD that has more rear bias. I was hoping there's a way to tune the AWD lol like the motor tunes.

Well if this help you out any here's my as built I have a 2015 PIU 3.5 ecoboost awd. Compare it to yours and let's see what is actually different
1516725665783.jpg

I have a 2013 Sport:

2015 PIU 3.5 ecoboost awd
PSCM 730-01-01 0 5 0 3 0 0 0 1 0 0 4 2
PSCM 730-01-02 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 A
PSCM 730-01-03 0 0 0 0 3 B

2013 Sport
PSCM 730-01-01 0 7 0 5 0 0 0 1 0 0 4 6
PSCM 730-01-02 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 B
PSCM 730-01-03 0 0 0 0 3 B

I'm looking at "PlatinumOwner" 's excel sheet with definitions (FORScan 2011-2018 Explorers)

The first byte is labeled as "vehicle variant tune selector"
05=3.7L TiVCT FWD Police,
07=3.5L GTDi Sport 20" Hankook Tire,
Seems to be correct for my sport, but incorrect for the PIU AWD Turbo.......

Second byte is labeled "tire size"
03=18" Tire,
05=20" Tire
Seems to be correct for both, for RIM size anyway...

First byte in second block (730-01-02) is labeled as "Torque Steer Compensation"
00=Disabled
01=Enabled
Looks like the Sport has it enabled while PIU does not. I'm wondering if that is due to the fact that the Explorer is more FWD for gas mileage, while the PIU has more rear bias and therefore does not need. Something seems to be incorrect in teh spreadsheet though, as the 05 in the first byte is thought to mean a 3.7 FWD, which I would really expect to have torque steer compensation....

Any Ideas?

following. I'd be interested in a more even if not rear wheel bias like my subaru used to be.

following. I'd be interested in a more even if not rear wheel bias like my subaru used to be.
I believe 'Sand' mode will do that but I don't think it can be left in that mode for regular driving.

Peter

Just wondering if there are any Ford Engineering types out there who can chime in on this.. Love to put more bias in RWD for my Sport vs shifting. I think Peter could be right in that driving with selector in sand all the time may not be ok for transaxle

Vehicle Variant Tune Selector = PSCM = Power Steering Control Module.

That's going to change a handling strategy, not a torque bias.

Just wondering if there are any Ford Engineering types out there who can chime in on this.. Love to put more bias in RWD for my Sport vs shifting. I think Peter could be right in that driving with selector in sand all the time may not be ok for transaxle

ITCC Control Only Tranfer 100:0 In Normal Condition And 50;50 On Deman :( This Suck

This Generation In Ford Explorer Is More FWD Layout

Good Awd System Send 100:0 50;50 0;100

I would agree, I think that is the only part of the Explorer I can't get used to. As a matter of fact, it is the main reason I can't enjoy driving this car (I should have test driven this car). I really hope somebody figures this out. It would be amazing if it shifted RWD.

I would agree, I think that is the only part of the Explorer I can't get used to. As a matter of fact, it is the main reason I can't enjoy driving this car (I should have test driven this car). I really hope somebody figures this out. It would be amazing if it shifted RWD.
There is no way to do that with this setup. It is a fwd transmission with an added ptu to allow power to the rear wheels thru the passenger axle shaft. Unlike Subarus that are basically a rwd transmission with front ouput shafts . Your normal mode is left side front power and passenger follow. Other modes only send more power to the passenger side at the same time allowing the rear shaft to spin the same amount.

I'm not quite following your post Phil. What is there to "get used to"? What takes the enjoyment out driving it? I've driven plenty of RWD cars in my lifetime and I have no issues with the handling of the Explorer. I personally feel it is a great driving vehicle. Rumour has it the 2020 will be RWD with AWD availability.

Peter

Yes, I agree with Phil, that's why this thread was started... This thing definitely drives like a FWD car.
I thought that I'd read somewhere that the PIUs were programmed differently to get more RWD bias, so I was wondering if anyone knew for sure.
Like one of the previous replies said, we probably need an (ex) engineer from Ford to confirm any of this.
I suppose many people are complaining about this if Ford is thinking to go back to RWD.
I can't wait to drive a 2020 and see!

-Marc

I have driven mine in sand mode for tens of thousands of miles, currently over 100K miles on QuickSilver. However my PTU whines as speed increases, does it have anything to do with sand mode? Not sure. Probably has more to do with not changing my PTU fluid until 60K miles, it was bad, very bad. Black, thick, chunky and horrible smelling. I should have changed it at 40K as reccomended by MANY owners here but was lulled into complacentcy by the 'water cooled PTU' theory that '13 and up models were less prone to PTU fluid degredation. Change the fluid by 50K folks...

Doesn't sand mode keep you out of high gear?

What is driving on "Quicksilver"?

Yes, I agree with Phil, that's why this thread was started... This thing definitely drives like a FWD car.
I thought that I'd read somewhere that the PIUs were programmed differently to get more RWD bias, so I was wondering if anyone knew for sure.
Like one of the previous replies said, we probably need an (ex) engineer from Ford to confirm any of this.
I suppose many people are complaining about this if Ford is thinking to go back to RWD.
I can't wait to drive a 2020 and see!

-Marc
When you start off from a stop, the rears get more power for a instant before moving to the front. I have seen that several times on the diagram on the dash.

Peter

I have driven mine in sand mode for tens of thousands of miles, currently over 100K miles on QuickSilver. However my PTU whines as speed increases, does it have anything to do with sand mode? Not sure. Probably has more to do with not changing my PTU fluid until 60K miles, it was bad, very bad. Black, thick, chunky and horrible smelling. I should have changed it at 40K as reccomended by MANY owners here but was lulled into complacentcy by the 'water cooled PTU' theory that '13 and up models were less prone to PTU fluid degredation. Change the fluid by 50K folks...
Sand Mode holds gears longer with a more aggressive throttle. I don't think it was really meant for highway driving. I believe the only mode other than Normal that can be used for highway driving is Snow.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see that SOMETIMES... Especially if I'm starting uphill. Usually though it's all FWD from a start...

Back