Modify to a different STOCK nav system question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modify to a different STOCK nav system question

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
Well, I've got the bug. I want a newer Explorer. So I have a question about the nice Nav-system style radios I see in some of the 2008-2010s for sale. I want to buy a 2010 (or '08 or '09) Eddie Bauer V8 4x4.
I really am interested in the pewter color, but I would really like the dark blue or black for sure. Leather, power third row, the two-tone leather would be pretty cool... Basically, I would like all the extras. I mean, that's why I buy used and not new. So I can afford the nicer amenities, right?

So basically, it comes down to this: If I find exactly what I'm looking for with +/- 100K (or lower) but it doesn't have the infotainment/nav stereo that I want, how big of a deal is it to buy one ($1400) and install it? I hate wiring projects, but would power through as long as it's not too crazy. I'm a plug-n-play kind of guy when it comes to electronics.

Also, tell me what I need to look out for. Like, I can't figure out the door handle deal. The 2006s had the handle low below the console, and then they thought "hey, let's just put a pull notch in the armrest" for the '07s - '10s?
Is there a reason I DON'T need to buy Eddie Bauer again (I love my 2nd gen EB).
I do want to put a 2"-ish lift kit and some minimally larger tires and some better looking wheel flares, maybe a roof rack, etc.
I'm kinda excited to move from the AWD to the 4x4 situation. Am I justified in this assumption? I'm getting that roaring sound only on acceleration right now on my '99 front end diff (230k) (or is it just my front drive shaft?), and it would be so nice just to be able to turn it off...

Well - I'm not really sure about upgrading stock radios but I do believe that it requires a reprogram at the dealer so keep that in mind. I know you capitalized stock in the heading - but seriously aftermarket radios are much nicer and MUCH (see what I did there) cheaper. You can get the wiring harness adapters that pretty much make them plug and play. I have an aftermarket unit in my Ex - I can put the old radio back in anytime I want just by pulling the radio and the adapter and plugging the old radio back in.
On the AWD subject versus 4WD then the major difference is the lack of 4 low in the AWD. Even on the 4wd some power is always sent to the front wheels so you never really turn it off. On my 2007 I can remove the front driveshaft for troubleshooting issues like your front noise - might want to look into that on your 99.
As for the EB - I have one and like the contrast color on the bumpers and flares. As I recall, the EB also came with the side curtain air bags standard along with a few other things including larger wheels than an XLT. Not a limited but a definite step up from an XLT.

Door handles - the lack of the armrest handles was a major screwup on the new 2006 model that they corrected in 2007.

Back