Modifying Ford Explorer Leaf Springs for Lift using F-150 Leaf Springs | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modifying Ford Explorer Leaf Springs for Lift using F-150 Leaf Springs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the lift that I got by doing this on my '98 Sport 4x4 (3" rear, 1.5" TT):
Explorer013.jpg

Explorer003.jpg

Explorer004.jpg

With the 285/75/16 BFG AT's and Fiberglass fenders:
Explorer008.jpg

Explorer011.jpg

Explorer012.jpg

Explorer013.jpg

Sorry the pictures came out so big!

Those fenders look good. Where'd you get them and for how much?

Yeah, those look sweet!

I got them from Fiberwerx in Santee, CA. They were $300 +tax. I had to do some trimming on them and they still don't fit all that great because the sport fenders are a little different from the 4-door fenders. I still have to spray them with a gloss black to match.

I went to a boneyard today that had an '89 and a '94 F150, don't remember how many springs were in the packs. Thinking seriously about doing this mod. They only want $20 a set. I think that if I can lift the rear end up 1.5 to 2 inches it will look better. I do not have much arch left in my ex springs. Does it make any difference if the F150 is a lwb or a swb?

question on explorer springs

I just installed new springs and add a leafs on both sides off my 92 explorer. Everything went well except for the drivers side front hanger that is next to the gas tank. Imagine that one did`nt want to come out but with patience it finally came. was all excited that I had cured the dreaded drivers side sag but when i dropped it it still has some droop to it. was wondering if i could pull a spring out of the passenger side of the old set and it to bring it up. i neeed about 1/2 inch to be level but i have no idea which spring tp pull out. anybody have any idea? i read about the 150 springs but thought since i have old passenger side that is good i could use something off of it. thanks

Would this work with WAR 153 shackles that i jsut put on? Then i would definately need a TT for sure? How much lift in the rear would these '86 F150 springs give? the shackles already gave me about 1.25-1.5 " of lift in the rear which makes my truck slant ever so slightly downward, please let me know how much lift the F150 springs will give overall.
-Kug

Went to the junkyard today, they didnt have any F150 leaf springs left. They only had 1 random one laying around. My next question is does it have to be from a 150? can it be from a 250 or an econoline, or are those springs too long? please let me know if anything else is comatible, i will still keep looking around.
-Kug

*formerly FishinFord*

Has any body had any issues with the drive shaft from the lift mod? How much lift can you go before issues with the drive shaft start to appear?

No problems at all with this mod.

I ended up ordering a set of military wrap leaf springs for my X w/ 5" of lift, and the stock driveshaft worked fine, even at full droop it doesn't fall apart. So as long as you're running with a 1st gen (as I know absolutely nothing about any other X's) you should be good to go.

Been watching this one. So the consensus is that you just use the Explorer main leaf and the entire F150 pack? This is my understanding. I have the Duff lift on my 1st gen Sport that netted 3" up front, but even after swapping in 4-door leafs and extended shackles in the rear, the rear is still about 1.5" lower. Think the F-150 leafs are going to be too much?

Rake doesn't bother me that much, but rear sag does!

The local yards here want $100CAD per side for the f150 5 pack of springs, that is a non starter for me. So I was thinking of just taking the 2nd or 3rd leaf from my donor (93 4dr Ex) and making my own 5 or maybe 6 pack for my 92 4dr. I may not get as much lift, I am looking to get a stiffer ride and less sag when pulling the boat.
Thoughts on my idea, is going 6 pack maybe too far?

Do we have a definitive list of what year/models F150 springs to use? I'm about to embark on this and I think it'd be a good idea to have that info available for all of the people interested in this mod.

Thanks

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't get hung up on the F150 only leaf spring. Just find some that are the correct width and length from anything and try them out. Leaf springs are not that application specific. I've stuck leaves into spring packs from just about everything at one time or another.

Back