• Register Today It's free!

modulator valve location.

p2e1r12t

Reaction score
City, State
ocala, fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 sport 94 navajo 03xls
hey guys, i've got a 1996 explorer 4.0 auto 4x4 that i'm trying to replace the modulator on. i've followed the advice of some of the threads here by going thru the access panel under the carpet but i don't see a modulator anywhere behind the two servos. anyone know if it could be somewhere else? do all explorers have them? i'm baffled. thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for your reply. kind of a bummer to find this out after i have already torn it apart. autozone even sold me a modulator for my 96. do you know if there is another part that can cause a delayed shift from 1rst to second? it doesn't happen all the time and has been doing so for about 6 months. it's my daughters' truck and she lives in jacksonville so while she is home for holidays was hoping to get this and a couple of other problems sorted out. truck doesn't get the maintenance it used to since she moved. anyway, thanks for your help!

ATF level?

I assume that you've checked the ATF level and it was normal.

You may want to confirm what type of transmission you have by checking the door plate under the heading TR I believe. I'll have to look up the code for the 4R55E and the A4LD since I have the 5R55E.

Is your check engine light on? If so, have you read the diagnostic trouble codes?

Back