and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

modulator valve location.

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by p2e1r12t, November 28, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. p2e1r12t

p2e1r12t New Member

City, State:
      ocala, fl.
      Year and Model:
      '91 sport 94 navajo 03xls
      hey guys, i've got a 1996 explorer 4.0 auto 4x4 that i'm trying to replace the modulator on. i've followed the advice of some of the threads here by going thru the access panel under the carpet but i don't see a modulator anywhere behind the two servos. anyone know if it could be somewhere else? do all explorers have them? i'm baffled. thanks for any help

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      no modulator

I believe that you have the 4R55E transmission on your 1996 V6 which is electronic shift controlled by the PCM. There is no modulator to find. The modulator was used on the A4LD transmission (1991 thru 1994).

4. p2e1r12t

p2e1r12t New Member

City, State:
      ocala, fl.
      Year and Model:
      '91 sport 94 navajo 03xls
      thanks for your reply. kind of a bummer to find this out after i have already torn it apart. autozone even sold me a modulator for my 96. do you know if there is another part that can cause a delayed shift from 1rst to second? it doesn't happen all the time and has been doing so for about 6 months. it's my daughters' truck and she lives in jacksonville so while she is home for holidays was hoping to get this and a couple of other problems sorted out. truck doesn't get the maintenance it used to since she moved. anyway, thanks for your help!

5. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      ATF level?

I assume that you've checked the ATF level and it was normal.

You may want to confirm what type of transmission you have by checking the door plate under the heading TR I believe. I'll have to look up the code for the 4R55E and the A4LD since I have the 5R55E.

Is your check engine light on? If so, have you read the diagnostic trouble codes?

6. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      transmission codes

Here are the transmission codes:
      T (1992-1995) A4LD
      T (1996-2001) 4R55E