• Register Today It's free!

Monroe replacement for ARC shock

95limited

Reaction score
City, State
Nice, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Limited
I'm replacing the shocks on my 95 Limited. One of the new Monroe shocks has rust on the piece the air line plugs into. My first thought was something corrosive had leaked out of the shock but it wasn't wet and nothing was in the box. If I had purchased the shocks locally, I would just take it back for an exchange. Should I be concerned about the rust? If I have to ship it off, I will just do the fronts for now and wait for the replacement to do the rears.

Al

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Al, do you mean that there is corrosion inside of the inlet connector? The connector locking ring is plastic, and the internal connector parts are either rubber, or stainless steel. The air bladder won't have any metal parts in it. Regards,

Where the air line plugs in there is a 1 inch diameter round piece the is 3/4 inch long. It has a 1/2 inch round black plastic piece that sticks out 1/4 inch. Inside the black plastic is a green plastic 1/4 inch diameter. The rust is around the top of the 1 inch piece. It goes all around the black plastic piece. Some of the rust has migrated onto the plastic pieces. I can take a picture and post it if that would help.

I have installed the front shocks and the ride is much better. The back shocks look even easier than the front. I've pulled the spare tire and I'm waiting to find out if I should send the rusted shock back. BTW: My spare is the original Firestone that came with the Explorer.

Thanks,
Al

Al, a good picture would be great. It sounds like light surface rust, like bare metal was exposed when it was made. By your description, I'm thinking it's nothing, and won't get worse. Regards,

I see why you question the rust. I would carefully steel brush the area, after carefully covering the hole and plastic. If after that it looks like surface rust, I would use the shock. I'd do a little cosmetic touch up, with paint or an anti-rust coating.

If it does look like it's deep into the connection or seam around it, then I might consider returning it. Chances are very good that the connection there is very well sealed, and unhurt. I think more dangerous is the thought of any rust particles getting in the connection, while handling it. Good luck,

When I compressed the shock, I could feel and hear something crunchy in the shock. The rust must have started on the inside and came out around the plastic air fitting. I might return the shock for a refund and buy another locally. Depends on the price. I was able to buy these through my brother-in-law for $126.77 each. Thanks for your help.

Al

It sounds like you have a handle on it. Sorry to hear about the trouble, good luck,

Back