Moon Roof ?

skoville

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Springs, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi Gang,
I have a non op moon roof, as far as I know. But just under the head liner, in front of the moon roof is a metal box. what the heck is that? Strange truck. The control panel for the radio, etc. has a cassette slot yet has buttons for a CD also. Just a generic panel? Or did it use to have a CD player that's beem removed?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those radios as far as I know were also used in the trucks with the 6 disc changers in the center console. The box is the box that runs the moon roof, it's also probably why your moon roof doesn't work.

Those radios as far as I know were also used in the trucks with the 6 disc changers in the center console. The box is the box that runs the moon roof, it's also probably why your moon roof doesn't work.
So in other words, the seller pulled out the changer.
Where would the switch be for the moon roof? By that box? I was guessing it was just a non functional window.

Reading other posts there is no console on the ceiling, or evidence of one. Just the aluminum box under the headliner.

Well, I found a disconnected socket under the now ripped liner. This guy has so many wires cut I think I'll stop there. Thanks for replying.

Oh the the changer is inside the center console where you rest your arm, sorry for not being 100% clear, the radios were used universally and besides that after 20 years who knows how many have been in there. The switch for the roof comes on the upper console, it's supposed to be hard wired in afaik, not too easy to change if I remember right. Cut wires don't sound good though.

Yeah, I don't think I'll get to carried away. It runs good, needs a water pump, so I'll just keep it running. Thanks for the input.

Back