MoonRoof Has Mind of It's Own

Fcal124

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Sport
2018 Explorer Sport.
So if I tap the TILT button for my roof, it slides open. If I push and hold it, it tilts.
All of the buttons act differently if you just tap them as opposed to pushing and holding.
Anyone else experience this, or is my truck haunted?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's very odd. My 17 sunroof buttons all work properly. I'd say a bit haunted. Maybe try disconnecting the battery? Otherwise I'd say take a trip to the dealer.

On another note, anyone else think the "tilt" of the sunroof is completely worthless? It barely opens and is covered by a piece of material. It really is worthless.

That's very odd. My 17 sunroof buttons all work properly. I'd say a bit haunted. Maybe try disconnecting the battery? Otherwise I'd say take a trip to the dealer.

On another note, anyone else think the "tilt" of the sunroof is completely worthless? It barely opens and is covered by a piece of material. It really is worthless.
I agree with the tilt remark. I believe it opened further on my 2011 Limited.

Peter

2018 Explorer Sport.
So if I tap the TILT button for my roof, it slides open. If I push and hold it, it tilts.
All of the buttons act differently if you just tap them as opposed to pushing and holding.
Anyone else experience this, or is my truck haunted?
According to the instructions in your Owner's Guide, it is working as designed. Best have the dealer check it out as jhu8 mentioned if disconnecting and reconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes doesn't solve it. Disconnecting the battery will also result in the vehicle having to relearn its trim and fuel strategy.

Peter

I'd just take it into the dealer, that is what the warranty is for.

I don't use mine as mine has a mind of it's own on closing after being open (no issue with tilt) of it not wanting to close and I have checked the rails/tracks and nothing blocking and honestly I really wish mine didn't have this moonroof as us in AZ hardly use it and should have ordered one without it.

Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster. Or, suggestion seeker is probably more accurate.

I have a 2013 Explorer Sport that I love. The only trouble started when I left the sunroof vented on a snowy day.
I came back out to the car with copious amounts of water in the cup holder and passenger floorboard. After everything dried out, everything was back to normal other than the sunroof.
It now wants to stay vented by default. The motor works fine, but it is either vented or the sunroof is fully open. There is no in between. It does not stop during its transition from fully open to vented or vice versa.

The vent button doesn't seem to do anything. Because of that, I replaced the entire switch. No difference 🙁

Any ideas? I tried to upload a video but I can't get one small enough to let me upload.

Update: Fixed!

I had tried the Sunroof Initialization (as seen on Youtube) a couple times before, but I saw the recommendation to try it with the passenger door open. I tried again with BOTH front doors open. It took 4 or 5 tries, even with successful sunroof movement (seeming like the initialization worked) but it finally did a full cycle and now works normally. Hopefully this helps someone!

Update: Fixed!

I had tried the Sunroof Initialization (as seen on Youtube) a couple times before, but I saw the recommendation to try it with the passenger door open. I tried again with BOTH front doors open. It took 4 or 5 tries, even with successful sunroof movement (seeming like the initialization worked) but it finally did a full cycle and now works normally. Hopefully this helps someone!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was combined with this one on somewhat the same issue. Thank you for posting your 'fix' and hopefully it will help others with the same issue.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back