More Glass Roll Pans Info Here... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More Glass Roll Pans Info Here...

nice work BM, cant wait to see the finished product :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just finished reading throught this entire post word for word.

I was wondering why everyone is worried about cutting the pieces of frame off and "no going back" .... ever hear of a welder??? It would be no biggy to weld the pieces back on if ever needed.

BM- Project looks great. Keep up the good work. I personally think that the rollpan is a little to tall but its hard to tell in a picture. I think i want one though!!
Its great to see that this is going to happen and you are making everyone excited!

Even with a welder, it's real easy for the normal do it yourselfer to go back. Getting everything aligned right would be a pain.

No if wouldn't be that big of a deal if you cut it off cleanly. Then you just weld it back in place and bolt the bumper on...

Here are the fram horns, or what the bumper bolts on to:

DSC02750.jpg

So all you now have a side that looks like this:

DSC02758.jpg

Here is the cut I made:

DSC02760.jpg

All you would have to do is put it back where you found it and weld together.

Hehe my cuts weren't that clean because I wasn't sure how much to cut at the time.

You could probably reattach the bumper easily if you made a clean cut, but it wouldn't have nearly the strength it had before.

Heck, I've heard from veteran welders that if the weld is done right it can be stronger than the original.

Only if it's done by someone that knows what they're doing.

guess working at a metal shop with welders is a plus for me :p

Looking good there Matt, cant wait til its done! :bounce:

Luckly, I know what I am doing.

&

Thanks guys! I can't wait for it to be done!

I have 4 layers of glass over the gel coat on the plug. Two more layers then run metal arround the layers and tab them. Then pop the mold and sand, buff, and wax. Then I can lay the first rollpan.

<- waiting patiently

Originally posted by Black Magic
I know what I am doing.

Hehe... by looking at what you have done with your truck, we don't doubt this. I, too, am waiting patiently. :)

im impressed!

awesome matt.. i dont know if it looks too curvy at the ends or not. do you have any new pics of it on your truck ? and any plans for a wing mold?

lookin good. get pics up as soon as you get it out. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Making a mold of his wing will most likely be against copyright/patent laws. I think there has to be a certain percentage of difference to not violate any laws. I'm not sure how you would measure that.

Back