Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit

Thought I share my install currently underway. I am going slow and not rushing this as I want to get it right the first time. Started with the Morimoto Mini H1 4.1 Bi-xenon Projectors and graphite shrouds from http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ and the Black Crystal Headlights from ebay.

I didn't realize how transparent the shrouds are so I painted the insides with aluminum engine paint to fix that.
IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

I am also installing the dummy alarm LED's in them to flash when the truck is off. I used one of the existing holes in the base of the projector's and angle drilled it to fit the LED.
Here you can see the hole.
IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

And with LED.
IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

I attached the LED's with the same Silicone II that is recommended to install the projectors.
Here is a test pic with the shrouds installed.
IMAG0082.jpg

My goal is to hook both sides up to one of the flashers so they will both be flashing in sync with each other. That is as far as I have gotten so far and will update as I go. Again I am taking my time on these, so I may not have anything til next weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my head hurts now....

I don't know why your harness had spade connectors, are you sure he sent a 9007 harness? I would have called him up and asked about it. My hi/lo wire is a 9006 like the ballast.

Make sure you have the 9007 plug pinned correctly or it will kill the HID's when you flip to high beam.

I would suggest doing some reading on hidplanet.com or even better, joining and posting your Q's up.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

When I ordered the projectors and HID's, I didn't know that they also sold a kit to do this for the 9007. If it makes sense I bought them separately, but together on the same order. The harness that came in the box was actually part of the HID set. It matches their single xenon harness exactly.

Everything worked with this harness after I made a few modifications. I just need to figure out how to convert the regular high beam circuit (that shuts the headlights off) over to the "flash to pass" circuit (which keeps the headlights on.)

Head lights are mounted and just waiting for dark to aim them so I put it all back together.

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

I did get a shot of the "cut-off" of the one piece headlights last night before dis-assembly today. They are not as blue as they look in the photo.
IMAG0111.jpg

My projectors have the same thing above the the cut off line which looks like almost circles above the cut off? Yet I seen some cars with projectors that have the smooth clean line. Any ideas as to why that is? Great thread too. Retrofit is next on my to-do list. This thread will help alot.

My projectors have the same thing above the the cut off line which looks like almost circles above the cut off? Yet I seen some cars with projectors that have the smooth clean line. Any ideas as to why that is? Great thread too. Retrofit is next on my to-do list. This thread will help alot.
Cheap projectors that are made for halogen bulbs with HID's in them. These new projectors are completely clean above the line. I will get them aimed tonight when it get's dark and post some pics of the new cut-off.

Sweet, def looking forward to the pics.

My one piece setup looked similar. The cutoff is much straighter with the Morimoto setup.

Here is the much cleaner cut-off of the Morimoto projectors
IMAG0131.jpg

And fully assembled (what I could get with it in the garage)
IMAG0132.jpg

I am very happy with the end result. Not only is the cut-off actually a cut-off, but the light pattern is not blotchy like the one piece was. Very consistent, clean light. Love it!

My one piece setup looked similar. The cutoff is much straighter with the Morimoto setup.

Retrofit is coming Celly. Everything else I wanted to get done is done. NOW it's time for retrofit.

Looks damn good. I have those same black headlights in storage in the moment until I order my retrofit kit. Def getting tired of my one piece headlights and they don't even fit right. I have the same one piece headlights you used to have installed Jason.

Do you still have the factory long piece attached to the headlight to be able to adjust the projector?

Nice work Jason. That sweet cutoff looks pretty much like I get and why I keep saying this is the way to go on the 2nd gen. :)

Thanks for the comments guys, also for the help getting me through this. :)

Do you still have the factory long piece attached to the headlight to be able to adjust the projector?

Yes I still have all the factory adjusters. The black head lights I used came with them and I also saved the factory headlights with all the adjusters just in case I needed them.

I'm sure I'll be hitting you up Jason when I do mine here soon. But you never had to trim the back of the headlight housing to get the projector kit in or to fit at all? Reason i was asking was until I saw this thread and just realized it's a different projector kit.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209015

No trimming on the back of the headlight. I did have to trim the inside where the bulb shield mounted to. There was a little platform that stuck out and was hitting the projector. I also used the H1 projectors which are a little smaller.

I just got the projectors and HID's. Didn't order it as a kit. I couldn't find the adapters on their website, but I did shoot them an e-mail. Thanks again for letting me know about them.

So If I order the kit wonder if it will come with the adapters then is my question?

So If I order the kit wonder if it will come with the adapters then is my question?
From what it looks like, the kit comes with the right wiring harness and the 9007 adapters to mount the projectors.

And the full frontal

Morimoto.jpg

Looks nice man, Nice job!

Nice :thumbsup:

Looks really really damn sharp. For pure white? What would you guys recommend? 4300K or 5000K?

Plus Jason, what would you say was the hardest part of the retrofit?

Looks really really damn sharp. For pure white? What would you guys recommend? 4300K or ?

Not much difference between the 2. I've always used 4300K and they're pretty darn white. I did try a set of 5000K once and couldn't tell the difference.

IMHO, use the rating with the most useful light, i.e. 4300.

Back