1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Motorized pre-oiler

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by 2000StreetRod, December 9, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      The adapter is similar to the one I installed on my 4.0L Sport which is shown below in mock up form.
      EBA.JPG
      I applied gasket sealant to the ring seal and so far it has never leaked. The main criteria for the 4.6L adapter was the 0.5 inch NPT vertical ports and the correct filter threads. I plan to mount the check valve at the adapter with a short nipple. I wanted to change the pre-luber output port fitting from 1/4 inch NPT to 3/8 inch NPT to match the inlet port and for better flow. But when I removed the out fitting I found that a 3/8 inch fitting would not retain the internal check valve and spring. So I'll have to stay with the 1/4 inch fitting that had no O ring seal which I'll have to find. The photo below shows the inlet and outlet ports with AN adapters and some other fittings for comparison.
      ManyPorts.jpg
      In my opinion 8AN for the inlet and 6AN for the outlet is adequate since the time to pressurize the engine is not critical. The remote oil filter adapter ports are 1/2 in. NPT as will be the remote filter mount. I want to avoid restricting the primary oil flow between the block and the remote oil filter so I plan to use 10AN (comparable to 1/2 in. NPT) fittings and hose for those paths. I'll have to find a fitting to mate the 6AN pre-luber output hose with the 10AN hose.

Last edited: October 29, 2017
    2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      For the remote oil filter mount a chose a Derale 25708 because it has vertical 1/2 inch NPT ports and comes with a 3/4"-16 threaded pipe that mates with my favorite Mobil 1 M1-301 oil filters.
      Derale25708.jpg

4. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      How much space do you have where you are mounting that filter? I'm going to use the larger Wix 51773 filter, or NAPA 1773, which Rock Auto sells for $6.39+S; https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wix,51773,oil+filter,5340

That one is almost twice as long, but a lot of people use it in place of the FL1A etc. I got a 51714 from Amazon for $6.60 last year, to see how big it is. They raised the price right after that, but it is a big filter also.

I have an adapter that lets you use an Amsoil bypass filter on the same mount you have there, any 3/4"-16 thread mount like it. It's a short nipple with threads inside and out, and fits the bypass filter. I can use that for my trans and PS for my work truck, they don't need the tiny restriction for the bypass filter, because those fluids should have no debris in them normally.

5. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      The frame rail at that location is about 5 inches vertically - the same height as my M1-301 filter.
      RFRailMount.jpg
      The remote filter mount adds another 1 5/8 inches vertically so I'll probably make a plate and attach it to the rail. Then I'll attach the mount to the plate to keep the bottom of the installed filter slightly higher than the bottom of the rail. The suggested replacement interval is 15,000 miles for the Mobil 1 filters which would be every 5 years or more for me. I change my full flow filters annually. I prefer vertical filter mounting.

6. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I'm thinking the same thing, make a plate to move the mounting adapter up higher. In the 2nd gen, above that is the emissions hose and solenoid, and the bottom of the battery tray. The right side has the AC line and ABS wires etc, minor things. The plate to raise the mount up might need to be a "T" or "L" shaped thing, the frame rail is not flat on the sides in some places. I like the one year mark to try to get fluids and filters to reach. Then they can be done when I want to, say all of them in the Spring each year, or late Fall if you worry about cold affects.

7. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      The Derale 25708 didn't work out. The ABS module with mounting bracket above the frame rail interferes with the remote filter mount top port fittings. So I ordered a Wix 24764 remote filter mount with dual side ports (1/2 NPT).
      Wix24764.jpg
      The dual ports will allow me to eliminate the T fitting that merges the preluber output with the block adapter output. Since there is only about 5 inches of frame rail horizontal space available to mount the remote filter adapter I'll install a street elbow on the forward inlet port.
      StreetElbow90.jpg
      Attached to it will be a combination of fittings to achieve a -6AN connection for the preluber output hose. The remote filter mount aft inlet and outlet ports will contain 1/2 NPT to -10 AN fittings.
      .5nptTo10AN.jpg

8. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Good work, details make it a win.

Did you look at the 3+ versions of the TurboWerx pumps? Did yo compare them and think of which might work best?The largest lists it as pumping about 3gpm, to about 50psi. I'm watching the Mini version, the next size down, which says it pumps about 2gpm, at about 30psi. The Mini version has a motor about half the size of the big one, though the cost is the same.

I also liked those multiple outlet filter mounts. Chosen well, those can reduce the number of fittings needed(the "T" fittings), and they can come in left or right outlets.

9. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Don, click on the link in my first post for an informative and negative review of the TurboWerx pumps. I will be running full synthetic oil to reduce the load on my pump motor.

10. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      It looks like the Wix 24764 remote filter mount is going to fit so I'll start fabricating a support bracket for it.
      RFRailMount2.jpg
      The M1-301 filter has a specified height of 5.2 inches and extends below the frame rail so I'll purchase a shorter Mobil 1 filter with the same mounting thread (3/4-16) and approximately the same filter diameter. I may have to install the inboard aft fittings and hose before installing the remote filter mount due to limited accessibility.