and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Mountaineer 2005 "check advancetrac" problem??

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by wjd73_59, April 30, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wjd73_59

wjd73_59 New Member

hi there
      i am a new member here, i got a used 2005 mountaineer AWD V6 4.0 L wth the option of advance track, i got it 2 months ago.
      everything was working ok until about 1 month ago when i took my vehicle to a local maintenance shop, the mechanic ran a computer test on the vehicle & after that i got the "check advancetrac" on the message center, when i turn my car on i got message "advancetrac off" then after starting to move and after short period i got the message "check advancetrac" on the message center & the advtrac lamp always illuminated during driving. i had a problem also with the tire pressure sensors saying "tire pressure sensor fault" on the message center, i replaced the 4 tire pressure sensors & the problem of tire pressure sensor solved but i still have the problem of advancetrac!!
      the mechanic told me that he got the following code:
      c1998 (module calibration failure) & told me that ABS module need to be replaced!!
      my question is that: does the mechanic cause this fault? because it was working well before his computer test?
      do i have to repalce the ABS module? because it is expensive here in the country where i live!
      thanx in advance for any help or assistance

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Reading Pa
      Year and Model:
      1999 Eddie Bauer
      You need to have the system recalibrated to get rid of that code. You will need a ford scanner or equivalent.

4. wjd73_59

wjd73_59 New Member

thanx a lot for ur reply
      does that code mean that my ABS module & other parts are working well?? & the problem is just recalibration?
      i live in Saudi arabia, when i took my car to the dealer to re program it he told me that he couldn't do that because of an access code!! as he explained to me something like a password on the PCM!!
      where can i find this ford scanner??

5. wjd73_59

wjd73_59 New Member

calibration was attempted several times but no success
      any suggestion plz