Mountaineer AWD Disable? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mountaineer AWD Disable?

Originally posted by section525
You can remove the front shaft and run it that way. I am not sure what the long term wear would be like though. Heath has been running that way for at least a few months now.

Well does he loose alot of power to the front?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a 2WD option in the 4x4 system like my truck does, then you can leave it in that mode and remove the the whole front drivetrain and be fine, or so I've heard. When I swap in 2WD spindles, I plan on removing the CVs and front driveshaft. Eventually, I will dig out the axle. I'm gonna leave the t-case there too.

Originally posted by boominXplorer
Well does he loose alot of power to the front?

if you remove the front driveshaft you loose all power to the front and 100% is sent to the rear

Originally posted by Hartman
If you have a 2WD option in the 4x4 system like my truck does, then you can leave it in that mode and remove the the whole front drivetrain and be fine, or so I've heard. When I swap in 2WD spindles, I plan on removing the CVs and front driveshaft. Eventually, I will dig out the axle. I'm gonna leave the t-case there too.

AWD has no button's/switches..nothing..it's all mecanical

Since none of us work for Borg Warner and don't really know how the inside of the AWD transfercase really works, then let's stop guessing.

Things I know for sure about it:

1. It is an all mechanical transfercase. Absolutely no wires connecting to it.

2. You can still drive it with the front driveshaft removed.

3. If you do have the front driveshaft removed, use the parking brake everytime you park. If the truck is on an incline it will creep down the hill otherwise.

4. You can tow with the front driveshaft removed.
This last weekend I towed 6000+lbs with the front driveshaft removed. :D

410702160006-med.JPG

Duude.. did you notice anything weird going on? How was the power difference? Did you light up the wife's tires?

Originally posted by section525
Duude.. did you notice anything weird going on? How was the power difference? Did you light up the wife's tires?
No huge difference in power.
It did seem like I was getting slightly better gas mileage with the front driveshaft removed.
I was hoping that I could light the tires up easily, but it was not so. I guess there's too much weight over the rear wheels to make it easy.
You're one crazy guy
Nah!

Listen to Johnstone.
You MUST use the parking brake if you take the front driveshaft on an AWD explorer. The transfercase is a differential, that's how it allows it to be in fourwheel drive all the time, it lets the driveshafts turn at different speeds. So when you park on an incline, the rear shaft turns one way and the front output starts turning the other way.

I haven't seen any difference in gas mileage, but i'd imagine it's a bit better.

If i powerbrake it, i can peel out a small amount with 32s and 3.73LS. Now in the rain with my 35s and no front shaft, I can light em up good!

Originally posted by Ak LTD Xplorer
AWD has no button's/switches..nothing..it's all mecanical

The Control Trac system that Hartman is reffering to does. But the front-end setup is the same.

14 year old thread bump......

What do you mean

What do you mean

Your 2003 is a different system than this discussion. The original poster and all others have 2nd generation ( 1995-2001) explorers with pushrod v8 engines and an awd system with no shift switch.
You need to be looking in the 2002-2005 sub forum for answers for your sohc v8 with selectable transfer case.

I hope that clears it up for you.

I have a 5.0 AWD Mountaineer. Can I disable the AWD? I assume it is different than Control-Trac. If anyone has any info it is greatly appreciated.
I searched but didn't find anything about Mountaineer.
Thanks
Did you figure this out? My problem was the abs would activate sporadically and on right hand turns. I just unolugged the abs wheel speed sensor and the ADVTRAC and AWD DISABLED message appears on the message center.

Did you figure this out? My problem was the abs would activate sporadically and on right hand turns. I just unolugged the abs wheel speed sensor and the ADVTRAC and AWD DISABLED message appears on the message center.
His truck, and fix would be entirely different from yours, since none of your drivetrain is the same.

It’s also been 17 years. I’d probably fix your speed sensor.

Back