mounting a winch on a previously totalled truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mounting a winch on a previously totalled truck

Tat2dExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport 4.0
Ok be prepared for a few dumb questions ;)
I've searched for a bit and couldn't really find what I was looking for....

My 95 sport has been totaled b4, a guy didn't stop at his red ligh and i plowed the side of him.... so it smashed my whole front end and pulled everything to the right... including the frame

fast foward 3 yrs...
frame was pulled everything is fine now.... but i still have huge cracks in my frame on the front...
So now i decide I want a winch, but i do not trust my frame infront... I would like to mount in the rear actually maybe inside or underneath? I was wondering if it would be possible to mount it inside the back like right in the middle all the way towards the back so if i needed to use it I can open my hatch, which i have no problem with, plus it would stay out of the elements. butttt it would really limit my winching radius....

orrr could i mount it underneath like right behind my rear bumper, where a hitch would be?
btw i have no hitch or spare tire

thnx for baring with me lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mounting it behind the rear bumper would be cool. Get a swing up or down license plate frame. Swing the plate to reveal the winch fairlead :D

Or just mount the fairlead where the stock plate is, and put the plate somewhere else.

Or install hitches front and rear (the front hitch would strengthen the frame) and have a hitch mounted, movable winch.

Originally posted by Alec
Mounting it behind the rear bumper would be cool. Get a swing up or down license plate frame. Swing the plate to reveal the winch fairlead :D
hah i like that

so you think getting a rear hitch would be the best advice? i still don't trust the front because both rails are cracked

If you're not gonna mount a front reciever then I would mount the winch behind the bumper. You could still get a hitch for towing though. Maybe do a totally custom rear setup that incorporates both the winch mount and hitch reciever.

hmm ok thnx for the help man, i think i will go behind the front bumper for sure, i'll let ya know how "creative" i get lol

one more thing right quick.... do you think it would get too muddy there or will it be fine?

ahh sorry for all the posting i meant behind the back bumper for sure, jesus lol

I would shield it with aluminum to protect it from as much weather and debris as possible; just make sure it gets proper ventilation.

Back