Multiple Electrical Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GTJon

Reaction score
City, State
Southeast Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
The basics: 2001 Explorer XLT. This afternoon on the way home I stopped at an auto parts store. When I returned to the truck to drive home I noticed the dome light did not come on. Strange. I assumed a burned out bulb and proceeded home. I got out of the truck and headed in the house and noticed I left the lights on. I opened the truck door to find no warning chime. Weird. I put the key back in the ignition. No chime.

I decided to check other things out. Here is the short list of items that now do not work:
Windows, Windshield Wipers, Rear Window Defroster, Rear Wiper, Dome Lights, Door Chime.

To my knowledge most if not all these items worked this morning. I know I used the wipers and the dome light worked too.

I would appreciate some input as far as a starting point on where to do some diagnostics.

Thanks in advance.
Jon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a couple of relays responsible for more than one function, in the driver's footwell, right side up half under the dash. Accessory Relay and Battery Saver Relay.

Those were what I first suspected. However other things like the wipers and defroster, do not appear to use these relays. Because it would seem just a little too coincidental for multiple different things to fail at once, the one central thing that might affect all of them is the GEM failing, but the GEM is far more expensive than fuses, relays, a wire short or break that needs soldered so I would explore the less expensive things first.

If your time is more valuable than the cost of a GEM then you could get the part # off your GEM, find a junkyard with near if not same year of vehicle and see if they have a GEM with that part #. If they have a good return policy so you can try it and return it right there in their parking lot for a refund if that's not the problem, then it could be the easiest attempt at a solution if all these factors work in your favor.

You have too many things failed at once for a single forum topic if it's not the GEM. If you have a multimeter and familiarity using one, you could pick ONE of those non-functional circuits, check out the wiring diagram for that respective circuit. You can download them all following the link below in my sig, and get some idea what measurements should be if it's something other than the GEM affecting everything.

If you pick one and start tracing it with a multimeter, I can give some assistance on how to figure out where something is going wrong. For example on any of those if it runs through a fuse and the fuse is good, so it's getting power to the respective relay for it, but the relay is not conducting to the functional part because the GEM isn't grounding the relay coil, then you'd have a GEM problem.

If on the other hand power isn't getting to the relay, either the main supply contact or the coil power contact, then you have a problem before the GEM has a chance to ground the relay coil to energize it.

If the problem is the GEM not grounding the relay coil, you can run a jumper wire from the relay coil ground pin to a chassis ground and see if that completes the circuit and allows the problem function to start working. It is harder to try to talk about this in general than to narrowly focus on one function and follow through on that circuit.

Oh, there is one other thing to try. There are a couple big connectors under the hood that connect a lot of different circuits together, you might unplug, inspect, clean if needed, and plug them back in. However many of those are exterior sensors and such, not as much things like the dome light as far as I know.
2nd gen issues? Try this first!

It's also possible that it's late and I overlooked something. I mean that I wouldn't rush to a junkyard and buy a GEM just yet, but at the moment that's my best guess based on the info presented.

Because it would seem just a little too coincidental for multiple different things to fail at once, the one central thing that might affect all of them is the GEM failing, but the GEM is far more expensive than fuses, relays, a wire short or break that needs soldered so I would explore the less expensive things first.

First of all, thanks a bunch for your reply. Your link to the wiring diagrams is fantastic!

Second, I spent the evening reading about the GEM. Wow. Sounds like a definite possibility. To have all these things fail simultaneously is pretty strong evidence that it is the GEM. I will check my local pull-a-part and see if they have one at a reasonable cost.

In the meantime I will check the relays and/or see if there is any possible broken wires. I fully understand the complexity involved and fortunately so I will take my time and do some investigation.

I have another car I can drive. I just hope the snow is over for a while. I hate driving the Mustang in the snow. That's why I have my Explorer. Thanks again!

Do you have the original owners manual? It describe the fuses and relays, both under the hood and in the drivers door. Could be something real simple. Could be one of the maxi fuses or relays under the hood.

UPDATE: Well, I have some interesting news. First, this morning the more I thought about it the more I convinced myself it must be the GEM. Still, I went out and checked all the fuses (inside and in the engine bay). The all looked good. I checked the malfunctioning items and they were still dead. Therefore I decided to dive straight into the dash and find the GEM. I disconnected the battery and took out the center of the dash.

I got the GEM out and took it in to my computer and checked on eBay for a used one. Found one, exact match for $28 (free shipping). So I ordered it. It will be here Tuesday.

Some time goes by and I'm talking to a buddy and describing the issues. I want to show him the problem. I go back out, plug in the original GEM and reconnect the battery. Suddenly the door chime starts to ring, the dome light comes on the the wipers come on (I must have left them in the on position). I am floored! Everything that was not working now works! Windows, rear defrost, 4wd. Everything.

So, I suppose this makes things a little more complicated. While I am happy everything is working, it concerns me that it could happen again at a moments notice. Could I have moved a wire going to the GEM? Does the GEM have a micro-fracture that reconnected after I took it out? Lots of unanswered questions.

Any guesses out there?
Thanks.
Jon

I would suspect some type of corodded wire that was not making good contact until it got reconnected. Since the GEM has so many wires it could have been any one of them although a ground wire cna affect many things and cause the most unpredictable issues. Maybe take it out again and spray the connectors it with some contact cleaner.

Yeah could be a wire, connector, crack in the GEM circuit board. Is there any chance a prior owner had an alarm system installed, then removed it and what remain is dodgy wiring somewhere that's crimped or even worse just twisted and electrical taped?

If it's a wire, effecting all those things I'd sooner think it was the power or ground lead than the others because a lot of the others are signal or relay lines and if one of those went out then you should lose only the related vehicle function.

Tough call what to do next. I mean I'd be tempted to leave the original GEM in and keep the spare in the vehicle, see if it goes out again, see if unplugging and replugging fixes that.

You could go through every wire connecting to it, go to the next point in the circuit and check resistance with a multimeter and maybe find something if that's the problem, but if it's a corroded connector then the mere act of unplugging and replugging can improve the connection, for a while at least.

If you do unplug it again, inspect all of the pins and sockets for corrosion and damage. If you see any corossion use a small item like a wire or an exacto knife to scrape it off. Then apply some electrical contact cleaner and reassemble.

Back