Muriatic acid to clean o2 sensors? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Muriatic acid to clean o2 sensors?

fbc

Reaction score
City, State
Guadalajara, jalisco, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4WD 4.0 OHV
I am ordering new motorcraft o2 sensors anyways, but my local Mechanic (here in Mexico) said it's a very common practice to dip the tip into some muriatic acid (which is commonly sold in hardware stores here to unclog drains). This supposedly cleans them and restores their functionality.

I'm really not inclined to try this myself, but if you're in a bind; who knows it may be worth a shot.

Anyone else ever hear of this? or confirm that it works?

I am ordering new motorcraft o2 sensors anyways, but my local Mechanic (here in Mexico) said it's a very common practice to dip the tip into some muriatic acid (which is commonly sold in hardware stores here to unclog drains). This supposedly cleans them and restores their functionality........

As a bit of an aside, sink and floor drains usually contain liberal amounts of grease, soap, and hair. Grease is loosened by acid, but hair and soap are not; they respond to the OPPOSITE of acid, highly BASIC materials, like LYE (sodium hydroxide).

The gunk collecting in O2 tip slots is carbon-containing, mixed with oil, and acid probably WILL aid in cleaning it. Damage to sensor? Unknown. No experience with this.

Be careful with muriatic acid, especially if concentrated, it EATS flesh!

Back