Mustang Sally | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang Sally

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that the 4.6? For some reason, I was told/read somewhere not to use anything newer than 93 due to physical size problems of fitting it in the Explorer. I can't recal why or where i read that right now ( Cold medicine clouding my thoughts )

They didn't make the 5.0's in the 96 Mustangs, that year is when they started putting in the 4.6's. If you were to have the money or the capabilities to put this engine in, it would perform very well, I think.
I don't know about what GoFast is saying, he probably is right because he has researched this subject since he is doing the conversion himself. But, I don't know why a 94 or 95 5.0 would fit, maybe the heads or intake is bigger, or something, I don't know.

If it's a 96 Mustang, it's a 4.6 motor.

As far as fitting it in an Explorer, I believe if you have enough money and knowhow, anything is possible. But on the realistic side, the 4.6 is a wider and taller motor than the 5.0 (302), it's even wider and taller than a 351. So to fit one in, it would require a lot of custom fabrication. The Mustang was designed to accept this motor, the Explorer wasn't.

Motor size specs:

Width Height Length

302 - 18.75" 20.75" 27.50"
351 - 21.00" 23.75" 27.50"
4.6 - 28.625" 26.00" 28.00" (SOHC)
4.6 - 30.00" 29.875" 28.00" (DOHC)

The 1986-1993 5.0 motors are preferable. The 1994-95 5.0's will work, but they have slightly different electronics and induction differences that make them harder to deal with.

Thanks for the input, fellas...My mistake - the engine is a '95, the 5.0. I made a mistake and typed '96 Mustang Engine. Doubtful that I will do the conversion right now. I'm looking at the Superlift 4" kit before I do anything else...

Back