Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Mustang Steering Wheel Conversion

Discussion in 'Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories' started by BonesDT, November 28, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Devan

Devan Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      01 BoostedXPLR Sport
      Callsign:
      Devman
      Hey CDW did u read the post that I posted 3 posts before yours? He was saying that the explorers have a splined shaft and that the mustangs have what he calls a DD shaft which is a circle that is flat on the top and bottom or something, He said he swapped the explorer steering shaft and clock spring for a mustang one. I said that I would have cut and grinded the explorer splined shaft so that is was flat on the top and bottom like the mustang shaft plus grind a little extra off so that I can adjust the wheel a little left or right so that I can center the steering wheel alignment because he was saying that his steering wheel wasn't center and that's prolly due to a rotational difference in the mustang steering shaft he had swapped in and then I would cut into the mustang steering wheel frame to accommodate the wiring from the clockspring. and then wire up cruise control, horn and air bag. also then you don't have to worry about the turn signal cam or even taking the column apart or any of that, just grind the explorer shaft to accommodate the mustang steering wheel and cut the mustang steering wheel frame to accommodate the explorer clockspring and wiring its simple. O and install the 1000 ohm resistor on the on/off cruise control buttons on the mustang wheel like Bones was talking about before.

Last edited: February 20, 2018
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      That is interesting. I never thought of altering the existing shaft etc. It sounds like a lot to do, but once you get into something, you might see it's not that big of as deal. I'll keep that in mind, I don't have plans for wheel swapping really.

4. Devan

Devan Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      01 BoostedXPLR Sport
      Callsign:
      Devman
      Modifying the mustang steering wheel frame and the existing explorer shaft has to be easier then tearing it and the clockspring out of the column and replacing it with an improper less quality shaft and clock spring based on Bones pictures of the write up. Not to mention the steering wheel will be properly straight and you can make slight adjustments to it.