and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

My 1995 Ranger with a 4.0L starts & stalls with a rough idle when it's cold.

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by Ryan11383, December 7, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Ryan11383

Ryan11383 New Member

City, State:
      Rockford Illinois
      Year and Model:
      1995 Ford Ranger 4.0
      I have a 1995 Ford Ranger. Since it has gotten cold when I go to start it after a long cold soak it will run great untill the idle comes down then it will idle rough and stall out. But once its warm it will run fine. The other thing I have noticed is when it dies my clock on my radio and the station will reset as if the battery was pulled.

Here is a list of what has been done.

Fuel Filter
      IAC
      New plugs/wires
      MAF was cleaned
      EGR replaced
      I ran injector cleaner threw it

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Reading Pa
      Year and Model:
      1999 Eddie Bauer
      You probably need the upper intake/fuel rail gaskets.

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    5. Ryan11383

Ryan11383 New Member

City, State:
      Rockford Illinois
      Year and Model:
      1995 Ford Ranger 4.0
      rough Idle/Stall.

I have two codes, one is for the EGR and the other code is a left side Lean code. I no its kinda hill billy but I have capped off the EGR. I put a plate between the EGR flange and tube to the intake. I have just done this because I didnt no if a EGR would fix the issue. I was right it didnt it still acts the same way. Truck will idle fine when rpms are up when its a cold start. Then when the rpms start to drop it will start to run rough and die. After its warm it will sit and idle fine for a min or so then it will start to idle rough and my idle rpm will rise and fall, then it will run rough and die.

I think im going to replace the upper intake. Its only 20 dollars and its not a bad job. So wish me luck and hope it goes well...