• Register Today It's free!

My 1st or 2nd Explorer

angelo bovara

Reaction score
City, State
joliet, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT
4 weeks ago I bough a 2016 Explorer XLT, plain white, AWD, 3.5L. A former lease car with 55000 miles and no options beyond XLT 200A.
I wasn't planning on spending 5th Gen Explorer type money so I was looking for a Kia Sportage or a Hyundia. When this XLT came up for $20000 I took a look. It was clean, didnt look beat up or neglected and had a clean CarFax. The throttle body had been replaced. I felt it was alot more vehicle than any Kia or Hyundia.
Before this Explorer I had a 1999 GMC S15 Jimmy 4x4. I had it 9 yrs. When traded in it had 149000 miles. I only drive about 8400 miles a year.
Now that I have done research on the 2011-17 Explorers I probably should have went ahead and bought a 2016 or 17 with under 20000 miles with HD trailer pkg and BLIS.
I do think the Explorer has some pointless features or some things that wern't very well thought out for example, front seat bottoms are too small. I am 5' 8" at 156 lbs and I am hanging off the seat. My cousin has a 2017 F150 and his seats are great! The seat bottom is 2" longer than Explorer.
The distance from the seat to the door sill is far too wide. Measure the distance from steering column center line to the side window. Do the same on an F150 or any other vehicle see what you get. Theres alot of wide wasted space. A person, child or pet could get hurt from the manual folding 3rd row seats with the way they fly back & forth with no dampening to the point where they will crush and aerosol can.
For me, I can handle it.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum Angelo:chug:

Back