• Register Today It's free!

Ben Womble

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford
Explorer XLT
Hey Guys...I am a new member to the forum only picked this truck up 2-3 months ago
So i just wanted to share my progress on it as i go...I am only a 17 year old kid so kind of a budget build here
have done some work just need to get some pictures and ill post them

some things that were problematic
1. The thermostat melted on day 1- replaced
2. exhaust split just before muffler fixed by welding
3. rear right brake locked up - minor adjustments fixed issue

GetFileAttachment

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So within a week of owning this explorer i decided i could not stand the stock stereo and upgraded to a 6.2" display pioneer
GetFileAttachment

GetFileAttachment

Next i decided to add a Push Bar.
I decided on a Go Rhino 3000 series

GetFileAttachment

Then came the sub woofers
I bought two Rockfordfosgate Punch P3x12's which came in the ported box

GetFileAttachment

After my original amp was a bust (it was a 2000 watt boss which does about 300 watt rms) having only lasted me about a week
I bought a Rockfordfosgate prime 1265 watt Rms amp

GetFileAttachment

Which also came with a bass remote wire that i used Velcro to mount to the side of the center console as i didnt want to add holes for screws

GetFileAttachment

I realize this is a long message and i apologize
Next i would like to add some small things such as aviator mirrors, rain guards, and a cargo cover.
And out of curiosity does any one know if its possible to add a overhead console to an ex that came stock w/o one

Sounds like your off to a good start. I'm starting my audio upgrade myself. Not sure on the overhead console. You should be able to bolt it up but not sure if your teuck would already have the wire harness to it. May have to get and run the wire harness.

Well I had Big plans for the truck and loved it. Was about to paint the wheels black...then i heard the timing chain and am going to get rid of it as my father
said he wont fix a timing chain on an explorer due to pulling the motor and said i can buy ja new motor or a new truck so stopping here and pulling sound system
and selling it.

It's not as bad as it sounds to change the timing chain cassette, but yes I'd sell it and get something else. I've had mine for 4 years timing cassette has been broken off since I bought it have put about 40k miles since then. I have another engine ready to go in before my beach trip at the end of the month.

I plan to swap engines make it last a little longer and let it belong to someone else after my wife finishes her RN degree

Ben Womble

I realize this is a long message and i apologize
Next i would like to add some small things such as aviator mirrors, rain guards, and a cargo cover.
And out of curiosity does any one know if its possible to add a overhead console to an ex that came stock w/o one

If you find one of the retractable cargo covers at a good price please let me know. All the ones I've found are $125-$175 and I just don't think they are worth that.

Back