My 2004 Explorer | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2004 Explorer

What diameter are the SCT big MAF's, the SCT 2600 to 3000 models? Are those still the best value, about $230 new?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or maybe less since the 3.5 inch is really outside diameter. lol Whoops!
Got to measure the inside diameter of that tube now.
At least now I will remember to use the area instead of the diameter, did I tell you I was blonde when I had more hair.

Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pump 11541 in a 2004 Explorer

11541_pump_complete[1].jpg

I finally got around to installing this fuel pump, the electrical connector was an exact fit so no cutting or soldering any wires. The stock fuel pump assembly needed some customizing to accommodate the new pump motor. A little plastic removed and then some rubber of the top insulator and it fit into the old stock assembly. All I used from the picture above was the pump itself. The stock pump filter fit on the bottom of the new pump.

Being a 2004 Explorer, there are two different fuel pump assemblies. One is an early build and the other a late build. The early build just has a pigtail coming off the top of the fuel pump/sending unit assembly. The late build has a connector on top of the fuel pump/sending unit assembly. I have the late build.
1 Tank.JPG
2 Fuel Assembly Part Number.JPG
3 Evap Line.JPG
4 Fuel Pressure Line At Filter.JPG
5 Electrical Connector.JPG
6 Filler Tube.JPG

That's a long and wild looking fuel tank.

That's what she said. lol
I like the torpedo shaped charcoal canister for the evap system, sure different from the old square ones from days of old.

Fuel Pump Duty Cycle on 2004 Explorer with Aeromotive 340 Fuel Pump

Here are two datalogs, one before and one after installing the Aeromotive fuel pump.
The duty cycle hit aprox 38% at WOT with the old pump, and 28% with the new one.
Fuel Pump duty cycle 1.jpg
Fuel Pump duty cycle 2.jpg

That's more than enough pump it looks like, ready for a big airflow increase?

I've got a 255ltr/hr pump in mind that seems like a reliable and quiet design/brand(Quantum). I bookmarked it until I get to my fuel tank project(4WD requiring a shorter tank(91-94 plastic 4dr is same length as 95-01 2dr tank)). I'm going to see if I can fit two such pumps side by side in the tank with a 2nd gen pickup assembly.

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-5210326-hfp-255lph-fuel-pump-ford-mustang-gt-5-0-4-6-1986-1997.html
Try one of those next time.

That quantum looks like a nice fuel pump, I wonder if it is a turbine style?
Why are you using the 91-94 plastic, is it for ethanol fuels?
Why two pumps, for huge horse power numbers/ethanol?

The 340 I got is a turbine style which is needed for pulse width modulated systems which my 2004 has.
As fuel pressure goes up most fuel pumps flow ratings drop. The Aeromotive 340 still flows around 250lph at 60 psi which would be needed if this truck ever sees 20 lbs of boost. I wasn't planning on that, but you know I never planned hitting 20 on my 1998 either.

Ditto, I'm planning for the future. When I convert the AWD to A4WD, the shift motor will interfere with the long 22 gallon tank. I'll have to use a shorter tank, and I noticed my old spare 93 tank is dead exactly the same length as the 99 Sport tank I bought for the project. I bought the skid plate from the 99 also, and the 93 tank fits well. It simply won't have the front two bolts that merge with the skid plate front edge. The same single strap holds them all on.

I'm aiming for close to 15psi with a 332, and the power could be enough to need more than the common 255 pumps. I've read a lot of people's experiences with next level fuel systems. I don't mind having a like OEM single lines and one pump if the pressure/volume don't begin to push the limits of the regulator or lines. I think the pumps being used to go beyond the 500hp level are pushing those limits.

So I thought of something different that will greatly reduce the fuel volume being pumped at idle and normal conditions. I'm going to install two identical pumps, with the wiring and relays to match. But with a WOT or TPS trigger, one pump will only run when the throttle is hit hard.

I'll install a DPDT switch also, into the relay trigger circuits, so that I can swap pump functions at any time. That will keep me from being stranded when a pump dies, since one will run the vehicle until the other one is replaced.

That's a cool idea for two pumps. Reminds me of a two speed fuel system ford used, but with two pumps instead of two speeds.

New old speakers

I decided to put this sub box in my 2004 Explorer.
I had it in my 1998 for a while but lately it has been sitting in the house collecting dust.
Definitely kicks way louder than the single 12 I had in there.
Subs.JPG

Cobra Supercharger on 2004 Explorer
Test fitting some vacuum and fuel lines on an engine that is sitting on an engine stand in my garage.
I found these adaptors from Aeromotive that allow you to attach a Ford Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor to fuel lines with AN fittings.
The adaptor part number for my 2004 is Aeromotive 15115.
3 Black primer.JPG
2 PCV fitting.JPG

That's a great find!
This is exactly the reason I have not wanted to go aftermarket, larger, fuel rails.
I wonder If I could find something that would work (Or if its the same part number for my pressure sensor).

So, the cobra supercharger? What is it?

Dono, I don't think you have a sensor on your fuel rail from the factory. The sensor I have is for an electronic returnless fuel system since this truck is a 2004 with that fuel system. I believe you have a return system with a fuel pressure regulator. (correct me if I am wrong).

The Cobra Supercharger is a M112. Same supercharger as Tim has on his Explorer. It should be good for 14 lbs on my truck with a 2.7 inch pulley.
I will be starting with a 3.3 inch to see how low the boost could be, and learn more about tuning drive by wire first.

For some reason I was expecting you to say Whipple or M122. lol.

Yes, I have a return (edit...returnless) style fuel system with the sensor on my fuel rail. I don't want to loose that sensor by going aftermarket rail.

i think yours is returnless don if i am not wrong. you only have one fuel line at the frame if i am not wrong.
also, john are you innercooling this one to, or did you mill the lip off the bottom like i had to?

LOL, I'm tired. I meant to type returnless.
I edited my post, and I'm going to bed.

john are you innercooling this one to, or did you mill the lip off the bottom like i had to?
I plan to intercool this one, I wont be using the stock intercooler though and I had to "remove" some of the lip off the bottom. I have no one to mill for me close by, and I don't have the equipment to mill (but sure would like to). I used some pretty crude methods to remove what I needed, Sawzaw, hammer, grinder. LOL. I should remove the rest of it but it was very time consuming doing it the way I did.
DSC04718.JPG
DSC04719.JPG

I made an idler pulley bracket just like the one on my 1998 explorer, this will give me enough wrap around the supercharger pulley.
By the way this is on a used engine on a stand in my garage, just for test fitting.

Idler bracket.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to remove all but one of the vacuum ports from the back of the supercharger for clearance. So I needed more.
I added one to the supercharger itself, it seemed to be the only location to do this since the supercharger case is so thin in most areas plus I only wanted vacuum and not boost on 5 ports. One port will be vacuum and boost.
Vacuum Port.JPG
plugged ports.JPG
boost port.JPG

Back