My 2016 Sport Stock 1/4 Mile Times | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2016 Sport Stock 1/4 Mile Times

need-a-cage

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Rosa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
My 2016 Sport Stock 1/4 Mile Times

I finally got the Sport to the track. The conditions were not the greatest. It was about 80 degrees when I got there with high humidity. I launched it around 2k rpm in normal terrain management mode, since everything else felt slower when I tested it on the street. 5 runs were within 0.02 seconds of eachother. The first was 0.07 slower than those but it was hot off the street. It also had two quicker runs that were over a tenth quicker than the group. Worst run hot off the street was 14.77 @ 93.45mph and the quickest was 14.56 @ 94.6mph with a bunch of 14.69 and 14.70's.

The slips are in chronological order left to right top to bottom. After I got eliminated in the 2nd round because of my horrible light and the Sport going back to its "slow" times, I ran two more time only runs and it was back to a consistent 14.70.

The Explorer is nearing 4k miles and it is bone stock. Only change is I put Mobil 1 Synthetic in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Were you running 91 or higher fuel?

91 Octane crappy Cali gas. About 1/4 tank.

Like they always say in drag racing, it's alllll about the 60' Notice that your best 60' is also your fastest time? I've not had my ExSport to the track(but have done plenty of drag racing) but I sure thought it would net a sub 2 second short time:confused: Did you try to vary the launch RPM's maybe a few hundred more with a little wheeelspin and in Sand Mode? With some wheelspin the MPH generally goes up.

Like they always say in drag racing, it's alllll about the 60' Notice that your best 60' is also your fastest time? I've not had my ExSport to the track(but have done plenty of drag racing) but I sure thought it would net a sub 2 second short time:confused: Did you try to vary the launch RPM's maybe a few hundred more with a little wheeelspin and in Sand Mode? With some wheelspin the MPH generally goes up.

Yes, I have drag raced for years and know all about how the 60ft impacts it. Yes, bog it and the mph goes down, spin too much and even with a worse ET your speed will be up. This thing did better than I expected! It is a total dog off the line not matter what. Our 2002 would kick its ass in the 60ft. My 2wd truck does as well. It is all in the tune. The stock tune will not let it launch hard. The tiniest little tweak from the front is all I could ever hear. You can't power brake it or the computer freaks out and makes it take off even slower. However, you have to power brake it a little to load the drivetrain and suspension. I was also staged as shallow as possible. It will take a tune to get a sub 2.00 60ft so you can power brake it without the computer freaking out. The tune will give it full throttle and max boost right away. I swear the stock tune has the throttle-body opening really slowly. It doesn't take off until about 30 ft out.

I tried all different launches on the street on the way out to the track and more rpm was worse, sand mode felt worse, less rpm was worse. Seemed like 2k in normal mode with TC and Trailer sway off was the best. I did launch higher than I wanted on a bunch of them. It is difficult to keep it so low when the light starts. You also don't want to powerbrake it too soon or the computer freaks out more. I was trying to wait for the tree to start, which contributed to my horrible reaction times. I am used to dropping a clutch and leaping off the line. Not so much leaping from this thing. I'll get a tune one of these days and take it back. Bring yours to the track so I can see another comparison.

Back