5.0 Coyote Adrenalin engine swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Coyote Adrenalin engine swap

I moved the transfer case questions to the proper section, HERE. I'd like to keep this on topic and not clutter it up with questions/comments on other applications.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope this works out! I'd love to do this down the road.

Perhaps use the mustang cluster and modify the dash to accept it. Seems like a strange solution to us old timers but if the harness for the new drivetrain is series wired, aren't they all now, that may be easier than trying to make it "talk" to the old Explorer cluster. Sometimes the computer actually uses one of the gages as a sensor instead of directly reading the sensor output. Seems crazy but decreases wiring and complexity for the manufacturer.

Perhaps use the mustang cluster and modify the dash to accept it. Seems like a strange solution to us old timers but if the harness for the new drivetrain is series wired, aren't they all now, that may be easier than trying to make it "talk" to the old Explorer cluster. Sometimes the computer actually uses one of the gages as a sensor instead of directly reading the sensor output. Seems crazy but decreases wiring and complexity for the manufacturer.

That is an interesting option! With the right trim bezel, that would looks slick! (and eliminate the network headache.)

Funny, I remember back in 1999 when the mechanics were swapping an SVT contour V6 into a Focus when I worked at SVE. That is exactly what they did to simplify the process - AND - that was before the rediculously integrated networks!

That just might be the ticket.

as I watched all the struggles you were having with plan A I was thinknig to myself a coyote swap would have been better. Good luck those engines are strong even stock. Tunes really get them movin.

Just some more research and mapping out all the wires on the PCM connections. I just received my new trans harness from the ford dealer, for a 2011 mustang. I'll have to integrate it into the truck, but it gives me a great starting point. The O2 sensors, starter wires, and some other key sensors are on that harness instead of the engine harness, so I needed it for simplicity.

Trying to figure out how to make a special mounting bracket for the power steering pump. Since the new mustang uses electric PS, it doesn't have a place for the PS pump to be belt driven. I've seen some fox mustang guys that made a bracket in their coyote swap, but I'm not sure exactly how they placed it with the OEM alternator being in that spot.

I have a master plan for the PCM issue, but its totally hush hush until I can begin installation. I don't want someone else stealing my idea before I get a chance to do it. ;)

what about 2011 F-150 V8 5.0L 4WD PCM and harness, I think it would be less headache for your application

what about 2011 F-150 V8 5.0L 4WD PCM and harness, I think it would be less headache for your application

Its basically the same thing. I'm going to have a custom tune put into the PCM anyway, so it wouldn't matter which one I'm using. Planning to get the Ford Racing PCM kit which already is made for a hotrod application, No PATS security to worry about, no VIN integration, and much less sensor inputs. It's what everyone's using for their Coyote swaps in other cars right now.

Also just discovered a PS bracket kit that allows me to use all the accessories and the explorer PS pump, it's costly at $600 but it will make it pain free.

I have been considering this myself but it would be way down the road. I don't have any issues with the power of my 4.6L 3V and 6-speed auto. I use mine to tow an enclosed car trailer every now and then and, although a stick would definitely be more fun, I would rather have the auto for towing. Since Ford doesn't seem to have any plan to offer anything smaller than the huge-arse F-150 I will probably be keeping my Sport Trac for a while and doing a swap like this would give it new life.

I would assume the F-150 PCM programming would be a bit different than that for a Mustang GT due mostly to differences in cam timing for the TiVCT. Please work out the bugs for the rest of us. ;)

I have bookmarked this thread. Keep up the work. Like a few guys before me, I'm curious how you got the motor and tranny. Then again, I've lived near you and know that motors seem to flow freely around there.

I'm sure there are already a few Coyotes and Getrag 6-speeds showing up in the salvage yards. Afterall, we are already into the second model year of production in the Mustang GT. The engine is also available as a crate motor from your friendly Ford dealer's parts dept. As a matter of fact, so is the Coyote based Boss 302 with it's forged internals and 444 hp. They even have a version with lower CR that is more compatible with forced induction.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/category.asp?catID=56&catdesc=Complete Engines

Well, I'm getting closer now. I'm actually glad I waited as long as I did to start it, as more aftermarket parts are showing up that will help out in this swap, such as a 40% reduced throw shifter that just came out. That should help tremendously with the long reach in the sport trac so it doesn't look like I'm rowing a boat. LOL

Here's a couple pics of her. All dressed for success in her new PS relocation kit, and the blue valve cover upgrade from Ford Racing.

Looking at the headers, its going to be a TIGHT fit on that passenger side, so I may have to do some customizing over there, but won't know until D-Day gets here.

eng showroom1.jpg

eng showroom2.jpg

showroom1.jpg

Who makes that accessory drive kit? I may be able to get a swap like this through the referee station here in CA since it is a 302 and my Explorer was available with a 302 from the manufacturer. Still several "loop holes" to nail down. Cost the same as my NA SOHC modifications and still make 140 HP more. All with factory drivability.

Please keep us posted on how you finally integtrate the electronics.

Who makes that accessory drive kit? I may be able to get a swap like this through the referee station here in CA since it is a 302 and my Explorer was available with a 302 from the manufacturer. Still several "loop holes" to nail down. Cost the same as my NA SOHC modifications and still make 140 HP more. All with factory drivability.

Please keep us posted on how you finally integtrate the electronics.

I seen a power steering bracket that was just released....can't remember where or how much now....

Got the dual electric fan conversion completed today in preparation for the 5.0 motor. No more clunky mechanical fan! And hopefully frees up some hp. It reads off its own temperature sensor that fits in the stock block's coolant plug hole.

Ignore the dirtiness, the engine is coming out soon, so I haven't bothered cleaning it up.

Radiator was a PITA to remove though. Glad that's over with. Whew.

First pic is old fan setup.

Attachments

• oldfan.jpg
    oldfan.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 6,975
  • fansinstalled1.jpg
    fansinstalled1.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 6,358

What fan setup is that? Does it sit flush to the radiator? I would be concerned with how many of the air paths seem to be blocked by the "flat" area of the shroud, but hard to tell from photo.

How soon do you plan to start the big part of the swap? Have you squared away all the electrical interface details?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What fan setup is that? Does it sit flush to the radiator? I would be concerned with how many of the air paths seem to be blocked by the "flat" area of the shroud, but hard to tell from photo.

How soon do you plan to start the big part of the swap? Have you squared away all the electrical interface details?

It looks like the flat areas of the shroud are rubber flaps. They would open when there is enough airflow.

Back