My 5.4L 3v Adrenalin engine swap | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 5.4L 3v Adrenalin engine swap

The plan is to order the S/C kit right after christmas. Still have to upgrade the fuel pumps and move the battery. Figuring the engine should be running by early Feb. Will get some break-in miles on her, and hit the dyno by mid-Feb. Hopefully I can keep that schedule.

If you need a modular engine built, that's what I do full time now. This STA build will help me promote my business long term.

A 5.0 stroker 3v mod motor in an aluminum block would be NICE. Big weight savings too. And you can still use your 4.6 intake.

You da MAN !!!! ... waitin' patiently to hear about your final results. :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Battery relocation completed. I had to modify the stock battery tray and mount it with new hardware, but it will look factory when I get it done. This will make room for the new F150 intake that hangs on the driver side.

Also ordered the 5.4 Whipple kit! Should be here in a week or so!

bat_relocation1.jpg

Isn't she a beauty?! Just showed up this past week. Can't wait to mount it on top of the 5.4 3v motor... now I just have to find the time to do it.... Hmmm...

whip1.jpg

whip2.jpg

whip3.jpg

Very nice I love that whipple

you know if that whipple will not work for you, you can just send it my way for the f-150:p:

looks great so far:thumbsup:

The 5.4 motor is complete! Well almost... I have to swap over my red painted valve covers. The ugly ones on there now are just to keep dust out.

Not sure if the tubular headers will fit, but I'm going to try it. They don't exactly make a 5.4 Sport Trac header so I have to experiment a little. If all else fails the stock headers go back on.

Here's the new CNC ported Fox Lake heads. They are beautiful! I had a set of bad heads with damage and they were able to repair them successfully. These puppies should flow like a ****. Topped off with Comp Cams Stage 2's will give it a VERY noticeable rumble at idle.

intakeports.jpg

exhaustports.jpg

combchambers.jpg

And here is the final mockup without bolting down the blower. Zabteck throttlebody hanging off the side as well for more air flow. Thanks Todd!

mockup1.jpg

mockup2.jpg

mockup3.jpg

looking good keep up good work

I am really interested to see how all the front engine accesories and blower drive works out. I hope all factory parts from some vehicle other Ford can be used. A swap using all factory Ford parts would be killer.

Subscribing!!

Thinking about picking up an AWD Adrenalin.....subscribing to this one! :thumbsup:

You don't have a awd adrenalin right so what are you doing to the drive line or do you think it can handle the power?

You don't have a awd adrenalin right so what are you doing to the drive line or do you think it can handle the power?

It's RWD only. I knew I'd probably do something big on power down the road (although didn't expect I'd go quite this big). AWD is great for launching, but when you do it on massive power, it's likely not built to handle that kind of torque, which means more chance of breakage with AWD. Since there is ZERO aftermarket for these trucks, I'm taking a lot of chances. I did go buy a spare 6r60 transmission, spare axle halfshafts, and rear end assembly "Just in case". I found it all for cheap in a totalled Explorer.

So this will be the true test to see exactly how strong Ford build the drivetrain. I'm usually the one that likes to push the envelope and see what it will hold. I call it "fun". lol

I'm still running a stock transmission in my '99 Mustang with 660 rwhp. People said it couldn't be done.

I don't care how much **** you bust your ride will be bad ass until you do.

those 2 make a nice pair and nice build btw

sorry double post bad computer at work.

awesome build can't wait to see the final product...I am curious what the drivetrain will handle. Do these trucks have the 6r60 or 6r80 I read some that 08 and newer have the 6r80 trans in there. Also with the axels could you find anything beefier than stocks? I could see those being an issue before the trans simply if you just hook to hard off the line. Also if we do have the 6r80 trans would that be the same as the 09 f150s so any upgrades to that would work in ours....just some food for thought........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why do you persist on teasing us like you do? I want one!

Back