My 5.4L 3v Adrenalin engine swap | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 5.4L 3v Adrenalin engine swap

look good

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure you're way ahead of me on this idea, but I'll throw this in just in case. My 6R60 performed like **** UNTIL @ 30,000 miles I had the tranny fluid changed. Shortly afterwards, it gradually righted itself & now @ nearly 35,000 miles, it works flawlessly. If you haven't already, you might put in some top quality fluid & see if that makes a difference.

I've got that stupid tranny bump. The service advisors explanation after they reset the trans computer; "it's basically too smart for it's own good".

You know there's a TSB for the tranny bump. I had mine done, and it's perfect now. $0.

Joe can I ask how much you payed for your VI Saleen Blowers from Brenspeed? Dont know if I want to drop that much. Thanks.

I took it into the dealer with the complaint of the tranny bump, and they reset the trans computer and gave it the latest software version. Outside of that I don't know what else can be done on their part. I will urge them to replace the trans fluid and see if that corrects the issue. It mostly happens when I turn off overdrive, and am not pulling my trailer. With the trailer, it doesn't happen much. Regardless, it's pretty annoying to have newer truck with this kind of issue. One of my biggest worries with buying a ford was the possibility of a famous "ford transmision." Otherwise I love the truck!

Steve, any updates?
Yea, I've got 250 miles on the new motor now. Will have the fuel pumps updated later this week to give me enough fuel flow. Moving the IAT (intake air temp) sensor from the MAF to the intake manifold so that it reads temps after the blower. I bought a threaded IAT sensor to install tommorrow in the manifold, gotta take the blower back off to do it. Forgot to do it beforehand.

Getting the exhaust system upgraded by next week. Then it's time for some dyno testing and more driveability concerns. This 6spd trans is a bear to figure out and may take awhile to perfect in the tuning since there's no one with experience doing so yet.

For what its worth, I have had excellent results from Torrie at Unleashed Tuning providing custom tranny tune for the Sport Trac when using the SCT xCal PowerFlash tuner.

Cost of just the Saleen Supercharger kit that I have, as listed on the Brenspeed website is around $5800. Conversion kit and labor would get added to that. Chandler at Brenspeed would be glad to give you a no obligation quote based on the specs of your ST and what you might like to do. There is some minor fab work and hose\line rerouting that was needed for my setup. It has been welll worth the added payment for me. Good luck.

Cost of just pizza Saleen Supercharger kit that I have, as listed on pizza Brenspeed website is around $5800. Conversion kit and labor would get added to that. Chandler at Brenspeed would be glad to give you a no obligation quote based on pizza specs of your ST and what you might like to do. pizzare is some minor fab work and hose\line rerouting that was needed for my setup. It has been welll worth pizza added payment for me. Good luck.

I got a quote for 8000.00 to put it on my STA from Brenspeed

Is there a transmission fluid cooler on the 4.6 V8 equipped w/the 6-speed transmission?

A few new high quality photos! Got the filter shroud on, but it's still pulling hot air. Got to devise a way to pull fresh cooler air in. (which means cutting a hole in the fender well. Blah)

enginefinished5.jpg

enginefinished6.jpg

adrenalin_emblem.jpg

54emblem_closeup.jpg

I'm glad you didn't listen to me and went ahead with this swap:D Hope to see what she dyno's at and it should pull that trailer a little easier now!

I love the badge additions! This should command some respect! Imagine if Ford would have done this in the first place.

Very nice job! At least you're not just another poser -- with fake badges.

A snorkel would work to get you some cooler air for the intake (but that would probably contradict the look you're going for). On that same note, adding a hood scoop over the intake area (and turning or removing the filter shroud) would probably get cooler air in better than a hole in your fender. To keep your engine compartment clean/water resistant, you could have some filter device to fit in the hood scoop to clean the air that's coming in towards your filter and stop any water.
Also, having a hood scoop over a hole in the fender/wheel well avoids any issues that might arise with water getting into the hole and on your filter (or maybe I just splash too much).

Just a thought.

WOW!! Steve, you took an awesome vehicle and turned it into a Monster!! Cannot wait to see some vids once you have it all tuned etc. Truly Amazing.

You know maybe a hood scoop off a Mustang Bullet would work, Now that would look so sweet! I like your thinking FLOffroad!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW!! Steve, you took an awesome vehicle and turned it into a Monster!! Cannot wait to see some vids once you have it all tuned etc. Truly Amazing.
Thanks! I'm as eager as everyone else.

A snorkel would work to get you some cooler air for the intake (but that would probably contradict the look you're going for). On that same note, adding a hood scoop over the intake area (and turning or removing the filter shroud) would probably get cooler air in better than a hole in your fender. To keep your engine compartment clean/water resistant, you could have some filter device to fit in the hood scoop to clean the air that's coming in towards your filter and stop any water.
Also, having a hood scoop over a hole in the fender/wheel well avoids any issues that might arise with water getting into the hole and on your filter (or maybe I just splash too much).

The hood scoop only allows some of the the intense heat from the blower to escape thru the hood, but it doesn't allow cool air to hit the filter which is far more important. I'm seeing 140 degrees IAT readings sitting still at a stoplight meaning i'm pulling 140 deg air into the engine instead of 85 deg air. So the only way I can work this out is a hole in the inner fender. That comes out inside the fender but water doesn't get to it because of the fender liner. Just allows for cooler air to be drawn in. Will also have to shield off the entire corner where the filter is to block the high heat from the headers.

Back