My 93' Explorer Restoration Project | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 93' Explorer Restoration Project

Tex> I would start by checking on the primary systems and wearable components first, (i.e. 4x4 systems, battery connections, u-joints, TRE's, filters, fluids, etc) then move on to maintenance and body-work (like checking under the rocker panel tupperware for cancer).

If you want to get more specific advice, why not whip up your own build thread? It's a great tool for keeping track of your projects, getting advice without having to explain the vehicles full history for every new problem, and makes you a bigger part of the community. I honestly wish that I hadn't waited 6 years to make mine. ;) And you can share pics of your ride without hijacking!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Texasryan, I usually post every evening with some sort of progress on my Ex, however, I'm going to use the working late card on this evening and try to weasel out of working on it due to a 12 hour shift.

As far as where to start, start with something comfortable and plausible. I would like to rebuild the motor at some point, but I am not confident enough to tackle that yet, so I am starting small. Tomorrow I am torn between washing my Explorer or replacing the front bumper and starting on the new one (or working on the rear bumper, rear undercarriage, spare tire, etc....). Just pic something that you think you can fix and go for it! This forum is awesome and I guarantee you will find what you need on this site!

Hey Texasryan, I usually post every evening with some sort of progress on my Ex, however, I'm going to use the working late card on this evening and try to weasel out of working on it due to a 12 hour shift.

As far as where to start, start with something comfortable and plausible. I would like to rebuild the motor at some point, but I am not confident enough to tackle that yet, so I am starting small. Tomorrow I am torn between washing my Explorer or replacing the front bumper and starting on the new one (or working on the rear bumper, rear undercarriage, spare tire, etc....). Just pic something that you think you can fix and go for it! This forum is awesome and I guarantee you will find what you need on this site!

I hear ya, they're making me work every day even during the weekends so i don't really have time to work on it, I'm gonna start by Changing my oil, oil filter and what not.
I do have these lights that do not work on the bottom of my truck and i would like to get them working. Pics will be up soon of my wonderful ride. I plan on taking it out Sunday washing it, and finding a suitable place to take pictures of it. Thanks for the help! You and Nassu.

Hey guys, I'm going to be buffing and polishing out the last corner of my truck this evening and then the sides will finally be finished. Just the roof left... Before I start though, I thought I would finish my spare tire and get it ready to go. I got the rust restorer on and filled in every nook and cranny.

341101686.jpg

This evening, I got the cans of Rust-Oleum Rubberized Undercoating and realized I was out! So a quick trip to Auto Zone. Turns out they were out as well. Someone had placed a can of 3M Rubberized Undercoating on the shelf where the Rust-Oleum usually is. It was about the same price so I went ahead and decided to give it a shot. HOLY @#$% the stuff goes on GREAT!!!

341101816.jpg

This 3M Rubberized Undercoating was: A. Easier to mix. B. Went on extremely consistent. C. Stayed well mixed during application. D. Had much more Ka-Pow when spraying (not this light fluffy mist you prayed would land on the metal). E. Looks great and durable!

341101886.jpg

I will test it a little compared to the Rust-Oleum brand, but I think the 3M stuff is going to win out! I will keep you guys updated.

341101922.jpg

I would recommend it to anybody who is looking to preserve or protect metal from salt or road grime!

*Edit*

I have found that it is a good product, however, due to the considerably rubbery nature of the 3M brand it is prone to scratching off :( I think for anything that will skid or get scratched I am going to stick with the Rust-Oleum Rubberized Undercoating. Pain in the A$$ to apply (shake the crap out of the can, and shake the crap out of it as you spray), but the durability of it seems to surpass 3M.

Finally! Got the rear quarter all polished up! Here are a few before and after pics. Hopefully I can get a picture of the whole vehicle tomorrow at work. (Then on to the bumper!)

341107391.jpg

341107421.jpg

341107462.jpg

341107503.jpg

Thanks Again guys!

I will test it a little compared to the Rust-Oleum brand, but I think the 3M stuff is going to win out! I will keep you guys updated.

341101922.jpg

I would recommend it to anybody who is looking to preserve or protect metal from salt or road grime!

Where'd you pick up this stuff at??? Haven't noticed it at any of my local auto part shops.

Get that rust taken care of on that quarter panel! :p:

Believe it or not it was on a shelf at Auto Zone. They cashier had never seen it before, but it rang up in their system. As far as the Rust (cancer) I am going to address that right after the bumper. I didn't even notice it until I started polishing it this evening!

Well I finally got a chance to get a picture of my truck so far. Still stock, but starting to look a little better. I can't wait to go for the suspension and lift!!! However, still a degree of rust that needs to be taken care of underneath and some other cosmetic things I would like to take care of first.

341212392.jpg

Thanks to a spider bite and really messed up sleeping schedule, this morning i was able to finish off the spare tire and finally roll that little project off to the side.

341212290.jpg

By the way, the Rust-Oleum Undercoating is Great! It is durable, and I mean DURABLE! I would recommend this to anybody looking to make some piece of metal a little more rugged and rust resistant.

Tomorrow's project (...er today's?) will be getting the new front bumper on.

341212341.jpg

I am just waiting on the bolts which have all been sprayed down with the 3M Undercoating. Once those are dry it will all be ready to go on. Then I can start modifying the old bumper with headlights and all the other fun stuff. I originally planned on getting a front bumper to modify, but after I ended up with this Pick N Pull bumper I realized it was in nearly perfect condition (better than mine!). So I am going to eventually get this Pick N Pull bumper re-chromed so that I can have and around town clean bumper and the original will get some off-road upgrading!

Well plans are finally in the works!! Not this weekend but the following weekend I plan on attempting a 4 inch lift on my explorer! The minor set back this evening is what's pushing the project backwards :( I just gave myself 6 stitches in the left pointer finger (ouch) so I will be buying parts (and hopefully a new camera) to keep things rolling. Looking forward to getting this project finally under way!

Alright, I got the old bumper off yesterday. Rust filled as I suspected...

342393142.jpg

And on to a shiny new bumper (straight as an arrow to boot!)!

342392491.jpg

All bolted on and ready for a drive

342392558.jpg

The old bumper will become an off road bumper. Lights will be the first to come and bars/winch/cow catcher/light covers/push bar, you know the drill.

IT FINALLY CAME!!!

343523585.jpg

I'm so stoked to get working on this thing! Especially after seeing Adamsbro make so much progress and get his truck looking so mean!

On a side note, (this may be a stupid question) does anybody happen to know off hand what these two parts are for or go to?

343523745.jpg

The big a** washer appears to be a coil spacer perhaps? Although I only received the one washer pictured, not a second one. As for the plate...? Still have yet to read the instructions, just unpacked the kit. Thanks!

Can't wait to see your truck lifted! Now I'm going to feel like I have an undersized truck when I go wheeling with you and adamsbro.

From everything I've seen the second Gen's really hold their own off road. More so than a stock first gen, but either way, it's going to be a blast man!

Nice And Shiny James Duff , Coming Along Quite Fast And Looking Good !!

just a guess, maybe the washer is to correct caster, a spacer for the left RA??? like I said, a guess.

I'm thinking along the same lines, tweak. I don't know about other peoples X's, but the couple I've worked on have all needed a single extra spacer on the driver's side (probably due to the extra gas tank weight)

Also, GRATS!!!!

Just tuned in - impressive work! Your Explorer looks absolutely great!

I do like the grill painting modification, have not seen that before. Pretty cool.

Eurika! You guys were pointing me in the right direction Naasau and tweakedlogic. It is a spring spacer shim that is meant to correct any body lean recorded before the lift is installed. In other words... If the truck leans to one side you simply install the spring spacer shim on the side it leans towards. As for the black plate, it appears to be an adapter plate for Toyo-Koygo transmissions (these are denoted as a code X or 5 on the door sticker).

Thanks Again for the help guys! I can't wait to get this thing started! Also, make sure to check out Adamsbro's thread, I saw his Ex in person and it is AWESOME!!!

Ahhh! I got some Ex-cellent literature in the mail! I'm sure I will find a use for these!

343700696.jpg

I plan on starting tomorrow!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome! I got mine as reprints from Helm, and I couldn't be happier with them, I'm sure yours are even better! Good find. :thumbsup:

Back