Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

My 97 SOHC 5 speed sport street/drag build

Discussion in '"Serious Explorer - Sport Trac - Ranger - Street T' started by Twisted1, December 22, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      vs

Bring on the races! Hell yeah!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. delexploder

delexploder Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenwood De.
      97 ford explorer sport
      Sweet rides

4. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      I've been driving mine for a couple days now with the SOHC replacement and as of tonight I think I've got all the little engine swap bugs worked out. I did some minor intake porting while I had it all apart (nothing crazy), swapped in 19lb injectors, cold air intake instead of my K&N drop in filter and got an Electric fan on it instead of the stock clutch fan. Plus it dropped a couple lbs. I'm heading to the dyno shop at 6am to pick up my new SCT X Cal 4 and custom tune. Pulling the trans functions out, removing the speed governor and raising the rev limiter a few hundred RPM on top of the tune itself he's doing for me. Supposedly this guy is the best in New England with Ford and Mustang tuning so I'm hopeful.

It's looking more like next Friday before Adam and I can get to the track. He is waiting on a new driveshaft to be made for his now so Ill keep tweaking mine till then. I'm optimistic that ill be taking the #1 NA Explorer spot soon and with a hand me down loaner engine that I thoroughly beat in my mud drag truck! Haha

5. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      The Ex has been tuned!!!

I got my ex into the Dyno/tuner this morning before work. I bought an SCT Xcal4 loaded up with some custom tunes. We also figured out my lean run issue and bandaided it. When I "upgraded" from the stock 17lb injectors I thought it had to the 19lb injectors it currently has I actually got douped by fords random color coding system. What I took out were 24lb injectors according to the tuning print out and not 15's so the engine has been starving for fuel. This weekend I'll pull the intake again and swap in the right injectors.

As for tuning upgrades... I had my transmission functions removed for the 5 speed swap, speed governor removed, fuel and timing remapped for premium/110 octane fuel, idle speed lowered, rev limiter raised to 6,500 and tuned to run at a lower temp range since I'm running the 180° t stat.
      I had all the above features put into all 3 of my tunes but had one mapped for the current 19lb injectors to get me by until I pull the engine apart again. One set up for the 24lb injectors and a third tune set up for the 24lb injectors with all EGR functions removed. My tuner thinks my system will pass the state plug in emmisions test with both cats and all EGR items removed. It fly's now! I think I'll be ready for the track next week. Can't, wait to finally run it!!!

6. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Explorers

Those are both really nice trucks, you should get your buddy to join Explorerforum too if he has not already.
      I will be looking forward to the results of the race.
      You don't mess around, already got that engine in and tuned, keep up the good work!

7. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      I took a drive to Adams house tonight and brought him for a ride in mine. It scared him. Hahaha, PERFECT!
      IMG_20150702_202123646_HDR.jpg

This is the Xcal4. I love it, been monitoring the truck all night and playing with data logging
      IMG_20150702_075552343_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150702_075803487.jpg

These are just 2 of the 6 Mustangs that were there to be dyno'd. There's a built GT 500 on the rollers inside, another GT 500 on the other side of the red cobra and a couple of enclosed trailers on the lot. He said he had 10 to tune between yesterday and today. Guy def knows his stuff! If you need custom tuning try Pete at Performance Dyno in Loudon, NH. He does custom tune packages shipped for $399 with the SCT Xcal4
      IMG_20150702_075308432_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150702_075304170.jpg

8. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Bumper

You should change your front bumper to the one your friend has, it is 13 lbs lighter. I did the same a few years back.
      Also look at the rear bumper, there is probably a thick metal plate bolted on the underside of the bumper, it is also about 13 lbs, don't need it.

9. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      I have a skin only off a 95 limited for mine plus 2 of those 98+ sport/limited bumpers. I didn't like the way it looked with the round fogs on it. Mine wasn't on the road so I didn't stress about getting the front skin painted or rear roll pan done. Now that I'm driving it again ill start pecking away at the other stuff. I gutted my hatch last week and removed about 15lbs from the front when I had the engine out.

10. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      4pointslow, need some input!!! hit a stumbling point.

So... what if anything have you done as far as chassis bracing or cage work? After doing some hard launches the other day I noticed some dents starting on the pillar between my rear Windows. I've had it happen to me before with a supercharged second gen GTI I built a few years back. That one twisted so bad the transmission tunnel hit my shifter and locked it in first gear and creased across the roof line.
      Have you had any issues with frame/body flex? Yesterday my buddy pointed out that I had also cracked my windshield. I marked the crack with a sharpie and launched it hard again and sure enough the crack spread up the windshield. Any input from your experience lifting the tires?

11. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Crap!

I never even looked for any body twisting/damage. I have an automatic so I load everything up(stand the converter) and maybe there is less shock.
      Can you post a picture of the dents forming, I will look at mine closer to see if it is doing the same thing.

These things do have a frame under them, unlike many weaker made lighter vehicles. Maybe check your frame mount bushings to see if they are all in good shape.

As far as the windshield, I got hit by a stone driving home from a race one day, I saw the stone and heard it hit. Right smack in front of me is where the windshield cracked. Before that no problems, and after that still no problems.

Last year in December I did some weight reduction, one thing I removed was the transfercase skid plate. I raced it since then and didn't notice anything with the body. I also did not look very close either. lol.

Don't need a cage until under 12.00 in a 1/4 mile, but that would stiffen it up. It might be a good idea anyway, have you ever seen what one of these looks like after a roll over? I think I read somewhere that the second gen explorers had one of the worst rollover ratings out there. lol.

Edit: Also, since we are on the subject of safety you should look up the pictures that James Henson posted of his second gen explorer. The axle broke and he rolled it. replacement axles should be on the list of things to do. Wish I wasn't spending all my money on a roof this year.

12. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      The 5 speed definitely puts different stresses on the truck. I'm fairly smooth and quick off the line but I grab second like an Ethiopian reaching for a turkey leg. That's when you really get pinned back and it pulls.

There's my windshield, if you look in the second pic you can see the wave across the top of it now

IMG_20150705_125738999.jpg

IMG_20150705_125745782.jpg

This is the drivers side. Look top and bottom of the C pillar right between the two rear windows. I tried catching the light right so you can see the ripples and dent. (Excuse the flaking paint on my wheel, it was a rough winter and I haven't sand blasted and repainted them. Lol)
      IMG_20150705_125907039.jpg

IMG_20150705_125852753.jpg

This is the pass side, not as bad but you can still see it
      IMG_20150705_125937039.jpg

IMG_20150705_125648581.jpg

13. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      I had similar issues with my mud drag truck when this engine was in it. I would break at least one axle shaft every single time I raced it. I had the engine in a 98 reg cab short bed ranger that was formerly a 3.0l. After just one season I had gone through 6 or 7 axle shafts, 2 front differentials, had to upgrade to a Dana 60 rear, one broken tail shaft housing, bent the rear shackles and actually pulled the drivers side motor mount through the frame, bending everything in its path. Granted it had front and rear lockers, 4.10 gears and 38" tires but the way this put the power down was harsh to say the least

14. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      those dents you see are from the factory when they stamp the 1/4's. how do i know this? years ago when i was doing the bodywork on my truck, i saw them as well. my buddy even gave me shit for not fixing them. this was when i had the stock driveline in and not the one i have now.

15. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      Those aren't factory on mine 3 days ago my 1/4's were flawless. I owned a body shop for 15 years so I'm particular about where and when every ding or scratch comes from. They are more pronounced in person than I can get a pic of.

16. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
    17. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      no dents

I have no dents or marks on mine. My truck has apparently had body work done. I found out in December when I removed the rocker panel molding to install LED strips. Looks like the dog leg area was done on my truck, both sides. I could see where it was seemed together.
      If your plans include going faster than 11.99 in a 1/4 mile at the race track, you will need a cage anyway. Or maybe it is 11.49.

18. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      if you are talking about these spots in black

[​IMG]

those are from the factory stamping the 1/4 panel

[​IMG]

if you look at my truck you can see the beginning of the waves from it. those have been on my truck since i bought it.

19. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      I got confirmation on what's going on with mine tonight. My buddy with the 5.0L swapped sport was behind me and he said when I launch it you can see the frame and body twisting from the rear. I guess my rear bumper looks like it's separating from the frame so I must have broken a body mount or something else. Hopefully it's an easy fix with some urethane body mount bushings.

20. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      almost track ready!

I'm wrapping up a few more upgrades this week and hopefully....I'll finally have some track times next Friday! These bad boys will be in on Tuesday or Wednesday nt55rii.jpg I'm hoping between the drag radials and reworking my suspension a bit with different leaf springs, more rear squat ability and leveling the front, I'll be able to be a bit more aggressive off the line instead of feathering the clutch. I'm also trying to get the battery relocated to the rear and hoping to get my front bumper swapped out for the skin I have. CAT's are being deleted on Thursday and changing the exhaust a little for fewer choke points. Next week I'm shooting to upgrade the MAF and possibly the TB if I need to (mine has already been ported) then going back in for some actual dyno tuning.
      I've done a few test hits with it locally and I can't explain the confused questions and looks I get when they see it run. Lol

21. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      4pointslow

You need to get your rocket up here to one of these events at New England Dragway!http://www.newenglanddragway.com/
      They have an all Ford day coming up middle of August and a truck only event in October. Plus every Wednesday and Friday is "street night" and you can run as many passes as time allows. Your not too far away, one of my customers is bringing me a turbo Ranger from Rhode Island this weekend for some upgrades and your not much further than he is. No pressure...:notworthy. Lol

22. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      New England Dragway

It is a little over 5 hours away, kind of far for me since I have Atco Raceway about 26 miles away and Maple Grove Raceway about 65 miles away. I get to race twice a year at MapleGrove for free against my students, some of them have fast cars.
      I do most of my racing at Atco since it is closest. They have Tuesday and Friday street nights. I got 17 runs in one night. Problem is I am at work most of the time now. Starting the 20th I will be working double shift again for a week. I don't even see the light of day sometimes.

How is the weather there right now? Temperatures are too high here 85-95 and high humidity, slows the truck down. I love September - December at Atco, nice cold air temps full of oxygen!

23. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      hot humid and slow

I'm only 5 hours away so it's similar to what you've got for temps right now. Around 100 degree's today with 150% humidity! I usually pick and choose my track nights but I'm getting to the point where I just need to get some base #'s at the track and get it back to the dyno to be retuned for 7am before the air gets too hot. Ill pick up a few tenths by October just from lower air temps alone and the new tires should stick on a cold track, at least better than my 18's do now.

24. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      I've got a limited time frame at the dragway also, the last official open day for the season is October 30th. After that the track closes until April and my plow's go on my other trucks :-/ We've had snow on or by October 31st several times so this is when my race season ends. If Atco is open into december maybe Ill take a drive down to see you instead with the Explorer on my trailer.

25. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Atco

That would be awesome.
      December is awesome there as long as it doesn't rain.
      The temps are as low as 40 degrees and they put a lot of VHT on the track.
      Good stuff!

26. Sedition

Sedition Engine Repair Guy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Geelong, Australia
      98 Explorer XLT SOHC
      sub'd