Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

My 97 SOHC 5 speed sport street/drag build

Discussion in '"Serious Explorer - Sport Trac - Ranger - Street T' started by Twisted1, December 22, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      I'll never knock you for going above and beyond while salvaging OEM parts where able! That is a pretty nice set up I'm just going for clean and simple with mine. The intake set up is being completely redesigned over winter with my other upgrades so I'm trying to keep things as simple and cost effective as possible for now. I just want to get the 1/4 mile time slip to get my name on that NA list with a junkyard engine before taking it to the Power adder list.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      I'll definitely upgrade to the aluminum housing next time I'm in need. Do you have a part # on that piece?

I'll try and get some better pics of the battery box mount today once I finish installing everything and running wires

I've still got a lot more to clean up in the engine bay. Over the winter I want to separate my harness and remove all the now obsolete wiring and re route things as hidden as possible. The coolant overflow bottle and washer tank are the next to come out in favor of a small aluminum bottle I can tuck in somewhere out of the way then I'll be removing the ABS pump, computer and all wiring and lines. We're making equal room on both sides of the engine for the upgrades ;) it should look very symmetrical when it's done.

As for the sideways pics... lol, I've been here till midnight or later everyday this week working on the truck then back here to punch in first thing in the morning. I haven't even seen my computer this week nevermind have a chance to upload and edit pics. Haha, cell is the best I can do until Tuesday

This is the best I can get right this second. These are pics he sent me a couple days ago. They sit in a good ways but have clearance on the leafs and they sit out about where mine do (minus my flares) he did use a 1/4" spacer behind them also.
      IMG9501731.jpg

IMG9501721.jpg

IMG9501741.jpg

4. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
    5. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      Thanks 4pointslow. The upper may work for me also depending on what I can come up with for an aluminum intake manifold. I want to get rid of the plastic before I put boost to it and delete the IMRC plate and all vacuum lines that aren't a necessity. As of right now it's looking like it may be getting a smaller pair of turbo's at lower boost instead of a larger set up. It should spool quicker and be easier on parts and wallet this way

6. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Two turbo's

Having two small ones would be desirable. Like you mentioned they will spool up faster, and with two they will still be able to carry the volume of air needed for each bank.

Something interesting I came across, thought you might like it.
      One guy put these on a mustang 3.7 V6 = 400HP 450 TQ.
      http://aerocharger.com/

His thread
      http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t361208/

7. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      I took it for a short test drive earlier, about a 3 mile loop, just to see how it ran with the new injectors and 70mm throttle body. The stumble seems to be gone so I was most likely maxing out my 24lb injectors. There is definitely a noticable power difference now. I can Roll into the throttle at 30 mph now and it easily breaks the tires free and the wheel hop gets bad. Tomorrow I'm going to install the walbro fuel pump (even though that doesn't seem to be the issue now)

I was able to make one hard pull on my test drive and data logged it. My MAF numbers jumped to 990 on that one test run so the new MAF was needed also but I need to wait until I get it to the tuner and recalibrate it before I can swap it on. I tried, it won't take any throttle as it sits with the 90mm so I'll have to swap it once it's on the dyno.

8. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      Dyno numbers are in!

Worked my ass off on the truck this week and it all paid off today. 91° air temp with 25% humidity. 220 hp and 256 tq! Dead on my guestimate. Couldn't be happier right now. The tuner said he was impressed with the homework I did and specific parts I chose to use.

I was maxing my injector flow and he said based on the data log I was pushing farther than the MAF could account for so the 90mm LMAF was needed. Runs awesome now!

Now it's time to get it to the track and take that #1 All motor spot ;-)

20150810_160351.jpg

20150810_163557.jpg

20150810_172811.jpg

20150810_172912.jpg

9. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      Dyno sheet

Dyno sheet from the final pull

20150810_185003.jpg

10. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Surprising results!

Congratulations on your excellent (and surprising to me) results for an engine that I think still has stock internals. My engine with stock internals and 6 psi max boost is only 7 rwhp greater than yours. I noticed the pulls were on a Dynojet as were mine. Looks like an AFR of about 12.5:1 from 3,000 to 6,000 rpm. Outstanding! Did your tuner change the ignition timing from stock before the 218 rwhp pull?

11. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      No he left it at 20° for the first pull, went to 27° on the second pull, which it did not like. Then stepped it back to 25° on the third pull. The last pull he decided to try taking one more degree out and see how it reacted. So now I know between 20-24° of timing is where the engine wants to be so I can play with it a little in those parameters at the track now. It's still got a few more ponies left in it from the dyno. Once the Temps drop down I'll pick up a few more horse and he also told me to try fattening up the fuel for the track.

I'll be over 230 whp once I'm done my next round of upgrades and changes and yes its still 100% stock internals and heads. Next up is some head work and an aluminum intake manifold but that will probably be winter work. I'm happy with it for now

12. GRNMACHINE

GRNMACHINE Well-Known Member

City, State:
      IL
      95 Sport 4x4
      Very cool and impressive!

13. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Dyno

Nice dyno numbers for N/A, keep up the good work.
      Can't wait to hear what it does at the track.

14. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      I'm shooting for low 14's, my tuner thinks it should run in the 13's. Shoot for 14's and if it dips into 13's it's a bonus.

15. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
    16. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      looks like im eating crow here. there was no way i thought that you would pull those numbers. you v6 guys are making us v8 (forced air inducted at that) look real bad!
      nice job

17. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      what gear?

Was that pull in the video in 4th gear? What is your rear axle ratio? My tires distort a lot more than yours at 140 mph.

18. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      Yes, 4th gear pull. 3.73 rear, 4cyl ranger gearing in my transmission and a 26.5" tall tire

19. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      Murphy's law.....

Well the truck may not make it to the track this year at all. My timing chain guide decided NOW would be the perfect time to let go with no warning. The engine has 118,000 miles on it so it's right in the ball park of needing them. No gradual noise like usual though so I'm afraid of the life expectancy with it. I'm torn if I should just get to the track and run it till it let's go or pull the plug for the season and start on the winter work early. I have no intentions of pulling the engine to do the chains just to have to pull it again over the winter to freshen it up and port the heads. Plus I've already hurt the M5OD transmission pretty bad and have some major bearing noise and sloppy shifter feel so I'd rather not put it back in once it's removed.

20. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      And it's official, truck is going away for the winter already. Jumped timing on my lunch break and has no power. So close to getting the time slip and numbers I wanted just to have a stupid plastic tensioner screw me over. I'm going to go beat my head against a wall for a while.

21. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      sorry about the bad news

One reason I've avoided investing a lot of money in my engine internals (high flow heads, performance pistons & rods, etc.) is the marginal reliability of the cassette guides. If a guide fails and a chain slips enough catastrophe occurs.

22. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      Yup, nothing made contact so my engine is fine at least. I'd had them on the "to do list" for the winter already but damn it... lol, would have been nice to have gotten one night at the track under my belt before tearing it apart again.

23. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Timing Chain Guides

Two weekends and a little captain morgan, I would have them done.
      Just saying.... lol.

24. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      It's not a matter of doing the timing chains, it's the fact that the engine is coming back out over winter anyways so I can port/polish the heads, do the updated chains and swap the tranny. I've rushed and given up sleep all summer to get where it is now and I don't want to pull the engine two more times this year. Ill just have more time to squeeze a few more hp out of it naturally aspirated.

So far I've been right on track with its progress and where it sits compared to my original goals. I think I can get another 50+ hp out of it before I start messing with turbo's which puts me close to my 12 second goals. Unfortunately I won't have any track data to work with over the winter so I can only go off of numbers and educated guesses as to what it "should" have run. Assuming my tuner and I are correct it should have run mid to high 13's on a perfect run. Add another 50hp to the equation, a better trans, new chassis and 8 months to diet and 12's look like a very Achievable goal before any forced induction. It is going to kill me having to wait until spring to get any solid track times!

As much as I want the twin turbo's I think this engine has a lot more potential than where it is now, I feel like I'm in a good position to see where I can push things to.

25. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      It's running! Sorta

So I messed with the truck a bit and got the timing chain to free up (it had gotten bound and locked the engine) I actually even drove it home tonight from the shop since the exhaust is all off my daily driver and it seems to have most of the power back again. It still sounds like a typewriter on steroids but it's running at least! I may still be giving a run at list before it comes back apart for the winter! Even though it's hurt I still think, as long as it holds together for a pass or 2, that I've got enough in it as it stands to grab the #1 NA spot. Between family weddings and my daughter going back to school it will probably be another 2 weeks before I get it to the track but as it stands now I'm going for broke. My buddy with the V8 sport is going to run the same night so we will have those side by side runs for you soon (I hope!)

26. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Explorer

If it is one thing I noticed about you it is your determination, you will never give up. That is how to accomplish things! A great way to be successful.
      I think a lot of us here have the same frame of mind. We meet all kinds of challenges and face them and keep going. Those who give up are the ones that never accomplish things and live with regrets.

Even if you do not do anything else with it this year, I know you will have it up and running like you said by next year. If you do go racing, that would be an awesome time slip to have. Two Explorers, side by side.