Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

EGR and Tube

I used a 2005 ranger EGR tube since it ends up higher than the 1998 explorer one.
I also decided what EGR valve I was going to use. Its off a 2002 explorer I believe. I had it on my M90 set up and it was mounted upside down. The lightning set up had a bigger mounting bolt spacing.

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 297
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 297
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 291

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

your just not going to give andy and i a break are you lol. its killing me because i a still waiting for my mount to come back from the guy looking into doing a cooler!
the line going to the egr valve is from a ranger? or the one coming off the manifold? i know you where asking me about bending the tube i have in my thread, but i cant because its a solid one from TMH, but now looking at that one.....
any wow, do you ever have a lot of room behind the blower.

egr

The one from the Ranger is the one on the JBA header.
The flexible one on the EGR valve is from Moddbox, bought it off eBay. There are actually two flexible tubes in the box I received, one is too short and two is too long. That's one of the things I still need to overcome. The IAC, egr solenoid, and battery relocation are the others.

More pictures

I made a trial air intake last night. Looks like it will work. I will make it look better at another time when I have more time. I also made a coil bracket last night, I just used two pieces of angle iron and bolted them together to form an "S" shape, then cut and drilled to be able to bolt the coil pack to it. Tim's coil bracket looks stronger and better I think.
I did not have time to take pictures so I took them today.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 291
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 293

Battery relocation and hold down

Today I did not get much done.
I started making a battery hold down to relocate the battery to the passenger side.
It sits straight, the pictures make it look like it doesn't. Optical Illusion.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 289

Very nice!

Today I did not get much done.
I started making a battery hold down to relocate the battery to the passenger side.
It sits straight, the pictures make it look like it doesn't. Optical Illusion.

Well done on all of it.

Get the battery bracket just the way you like it, and then have Jon powder coat it. It needs that kind of protection from corrosion.

Running

It running, pulled it out of the garage to put my broken down 4 door in there.
This is for Tim.

M122

Underhood Picture

Attachments

• M122 done.JPG
    M122 done.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 276

Awesome!

motor

HAHAHA!!!!!
Funny, I knew what it was going to be BEFORE I clicked on the link!
Nice job john. I now have to bow down again. I was going to start a poll thread on how long it would be until you can look inside the motor without taking it apart, but I don't want to jinx you.

lol,
I can not believe this thing lasted this long. It defies all logic.

Ex

That's great John! Stuffing an M122 in the engine compartment and being able to close the stock hood is a huge accomplishment. Well done! And it even runs.

So I drove it to work today and nothing broke. WOT was close to 11.3, a little off but a tune or two will correct that.
Some things I noticed.
I am using a 2.8 inch pulley that I acquired with the purchase of a Cobra M112 a year or so ago.
It just happened to fit rather well with this set up and I figured it would be a small margin of safety for the engine to start out with. I wanted to see how the GT500 M122 would effect boost. At WOT it was dead on 15lbs of boost. I do have the 2.7 inch pulley I was using on the Lightning set up, so I will probably get an increase of boost with that but don't know how much.
MAF counts hit 824, up from what it had been doing which was around 816 approx. The best runs I had last December the Maf counts hit approx. 832 and that was in cold dense air, so this December I hope to see an increase over that.
IAT's maxed out at 132 under full boost at WOT, down from the approx. 194 I have seen previously. I have to think that it might be from the location of the IAT being slightly different now and maybe a little from the efficiency of the M122 and porting. But interesting none the less.

you thought you had problems keeping the front tires on the ground before (like how many people can say that with a second gen explorer), you probably wont touch ground past the 60ft now. make sure you get lots of video at the strip.
once again, awesome job john!

Sweet, fun fun fun.

Iac

Tomorrow I will start working on my 4 door explorer to try to find out what happened to my transmission. Tonight's job is light, post some pictures.
Here is what I came up with, when looking for a place to find for my IAC. The M122 is off a 2012 GT500 that had drive by wire so it did not have any provision. I used some scrap aluminum plate left over from the adaptor plate for the M122 and a piece of angle iron from HomeDepot.

Attachments

• IAC.JPG
    IAC.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 219

Battery Hold Down

For racing tech inspection they always check my battery to make sure it is tight. I read about NHRA rules stating that battery hold down bolts have to be 3/8 inch minimum, so I changed my original bolts sizes to bigger ones.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 216

Cables

Here is my cables ran along my bent up radiator and what I did to join the cables together. It works for now, I may make it look better at a later date. I was kind of rushed to get it out of my garage to get my 4 door in.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 227
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 223

Back