• Register Today It's free!

My BII Project

SBJ420

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Okay a few days ago I got this 1988 BII 2.9 V6 auto. SOA, lift coils, and a body lift. I am just going to post my questions under this thread. SO this is what we are looking at here.
DSCF4051.jpg

DSCF4050.jpg

So a few things need to be done to get it in good shape. Here is a list
#1 Rear ABS Light - Its always on and I can feel the ABS grinding
#2 Gas Gauge - Does not work
#3 front U-Joints
#4 New Shocks
#5 Timing needs to be done
#6 New plugs and wires
#7 Larger Battery - The one in there now looks VERY small
#8 Get the CB radio to work!

So can I disable the ABS untill I have time to take a look at it? Because I know in my explorer when I go off-road my ABS light comes on and it feels like ****. Just like this one does, but the BII is all the time. Can I take a fuse out or somthing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can unplug the ABS computer and bypass the RABS valve on the frame rail (d side above rear axle) RABS SUCKS

I believe you can also pull the fuse but I just completely removed my system when I went to 4 whee disc brakes.

Nice truck welcome to BII's!!

Can't wait to see :thumbsup:

Last edited:

410Fortune said:
you can unplug the ABS computer and bypass the RABS valve on the frame rail (d side above rear axle) RABS SUCKS

I believe you can also pull the fuse but I just completely removed my system when I went to 4 whee disc brakes.

Nice truck welcome to BII's!!

Okay I am going to pull the fuse and see what happens, is it under the hood or down by my feet? Also, does these trucks come with hard straw like gas line? Had a gas smell comming from the truck so we looked around and found that the gas line wore down in one place and was leaking, so we cut it and added a rubber gas line. Now should I just get the whole thing replaced with the fac. line or should I pull the whole hard tube and use the rubber gas line? Or will it be find how it is? We started to look for a leak because my truck is hickuping at low RPM, but after fixing the gas leak this did not fix my hickup. Going to change the fule filter today to see if that may be it, than wires and plugs.

I cannot find the fuel filter, Manual says its on the Drivers side back near the gas tank. I can follow the line all the way up to the fuel pump... Does this mean my truck is running with out a fuel filter?

no the fuel filter is on the frame rail under the drivers seat.
Your truck actually has two fuel pumps, one is in the gas tank (boost pump) and one is mounted on the frame rail just behind your newly located fuel filter (high pressure pump)

the factory fuel lines are nylon, if it has a leak I suggest you replace the entire section, one line is the high pressure side and the other is the return line, which is low pressure. I am guessing your leak is on the low pressure side because a piece of rubber hose would not hold on the high pressure side (80+ PSI)

To determine if your run ability issue is fuel system related I would do a fuel rail pressure test.......a fuel filter issue would typically result in poor idle, low fuel pressure, and loss of power, not a hiccup.

With the 2.9L you should check the cap and rotor, wires, plugs, base timing, fuel pressure, and look for any bad wiring in the wiring harness first...
It is likely your used truck needs a full tune up.

sooooooooooo thanks for the info! Id give yeah some beer if you were in BC :)
so keep in mind I am new to the 4X4 stuff. SO with that said, I got a fuel filter from a auto parts store it looks like this
DSCF4059.jpg

I asked for a BII 1988 fuel filter.....
But when I am under my truck looking for a fuel filter this is the only think I can find that I think may be it. and if not what the hell is it!
fule.jpg

I am here to learn! so be nice hahahaha

that is the water seperator, you will never have to touch that thing.
Mine has 290K miles on it.

That fuel filter is the correct one
As I said LOOK UNDER THE DRIVERS SEAT (actually would be life your left knee area)

engine side of the fuel pump
its held in place on a metal bracket, about 10" upstream from the pump

I have had problems with Fram fuel filters, jsut FYI, I actually installed one and it would barely idle, put in a Motocraft and it idled fine.
I am not saying this will happen, but I have to tell that story every time I see that Fram fuel filter

also you can ignore 50% of what your Haynes or Chiltons book says there, especially if it is th4e one that covers Rangers and Explorer's too, there are quite a few differences with the BII

well no ****. I have FORD ranger & Bronco II 1983 - 1992... That would be it!
Thank you very much, this is what it says and I quote "Locate the fuel filter on the left side of the frame rail, near the fuel tank"

way off. I figured that the gas would be filtered before it got to the pump.

What sorta bearing is that filter sitting on?

no gas is filtered after the PUMPS and before the engine....

remember you have TWO pumps.....one in the tank
The filter on your BII is just behind the front wheel, inside the frame rail :)

Section that is no BII bearing if thats what you are thinking, the filter is like 3" tall

hahahaha no that is no car / truck bearing, its a Tapered roller bearing, HR32315J its my cup holder here at work! hahaha, I work for NSK we are a bearing Manufacture. I am at work at my desk trying to figure out this truck!

so I found the fuel filter... And guess what! It was bypassed. A very old filter was just sitting there with nothing running in or out. Just around. So this may be why its hickuping? Think the fuel injectors may be blocked?

So after taking out the bracket for the fuel filter I found this bolted on top of the wheelwell. It comes from the distributor to this box, but it has some wires comming out of it and it is not pluged in. This is what I am looking at,
DSCF4064.jpg

DSCF4060.jpg

thats your coil
It seems whoever had this truck before you removed the fender liners and re-located a few things.

No fuel filter = NOT GOOD.

Have you considered a 4.0L conversion for this truck yet?
Its a natural fit and can be cheap...will really motivate the BII

no no hhahaha that was me, I was taking off the fuel filter and than took of the fender liners and found the coil, it was bolted on top of the fender liner.

I was thinking about doing the 4.0L but I need to get a few things out of the way first.

Think that some thing could be clogged from having no fuel filter?

yes

we have no idea how ling this thing has run with no filter.
Did they add a filter anywhere else in the system?

No fuel filter = BAD BAD BAD
Although my gas tank looked perfectly brand spanking new inside after 270K miles (replaced it when I went 5.0L) there is still alot of crap the filter stops..well this truck had no filter, injectors need filtered fuel, any particles are now stick in the tips of your injectors = CLOG

previous owner needs a kick in the balls for that one.....bypassing a filter that costs $4 and requires a flat head screwdriver to replace = retard.

how do I test to see if the injectors are clogged? Also how do they get cleaned out? I am going to check to see if they have one elts were but I dont think so.

I just put in a bottle of injector cleaner in we will see how that works, and just got some new plug wires and Dist. Cap. and plugs.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so the bottle of injector cleaner worked very well. 15min after I put it in all my hickuping stoped. Last night I put all the wires and cap on. But now when I got to put a new fuel filter on this thing how do I go about clamping it? I noticed looking around on this site with the EX's they have those little clips, it also looks like my filter came with these same clips. So can I just cut the fuel line and stick this filter in and clamp it down good with some hose clamps?

I think I might pick up a bush Guard today, its cheap $150 its off of a 88 ranger.

I think I am going to get rid of the uggly light blue trim. I also got the spare tire off the back, who ever thought it was a good idea to put a 35" mud tire on the back hatch is a dummie, deffently the same guy that bypassed the fuel filter. The latch on the back door was starting to crack the door its self.
also could not see jack **** out of the back when driving!

Any good ideas on what to use the old tire latch for?

Back