My BII Project | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My BII Project

yeah I know waste of time and money, but this is all the $$ I have right now, cannot afford another $1000 for gears and install.... The good thing is I already have these gears in the truck with the 35"s so I am already used to it how it feels, I also have never drivin anything elts that has had 35" tires so I do not know the difference

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this sucker an auto or a 5 speed?

Is this sucker an auto or a 5 speed?

Its a auto at this time. I actually have one extra auto that is rebuilt at home and also a 4 speed that I am going to take apart and "try" to rebuild it myself over time. I can get all the bearings for free here at work. As far as I know I have all the stuff to turn it into a 4 speed. I am not even sure that there is any problems with the 4 speed but it was sitting out side not covered up for a few months, or could have been longer. It spins easy and all the gears shift tho
oh yeah 4 speed with overdrive.
What is the strongest trans for the 2.9?

What difference does the gears make with an auto / standard ?

HUGE difference

With a 5 speed of course you control the clutch, with the automatic, 3.55 gears and 35" tires you are killing your transmission, you are so far out of the engines powerband currently its not even funny

You should invest in a trans temp gage and a very large transmission cooler

strongest transmission is a trick question, the strongest automatic you can put behind the 2.9L is likely the C5 auto when its built up, but its a 3 speed. An A4LD can be built up to be very strong but its expensive and the builder must know what they are doing or you will only be opening a can of worms.

4.56 or 5.13 gears would be my absolute next mod for this truck, $$$$ or not, start saving.

I found a pair of 5.13 for $450 american or $520 Canadian, its not as much as I thought it would be. These were at broncograveyard.com
I am going to search around and see what I can find here in Canada, also check with the guy that is doing my swap, see what he thinks about putting them in for me :) I have checked around and noticed around $700 to install gears. I could be wrong on that one though.

ring and pinions run about $100-110 for good gears
the install kit is $99 per axle

the rest is labor and fluid
those are of course US $$$ amounts.

Try randy's ring and pinion, summit racing, jegs, etc

I would use Ford, Yukon, or precision gears

stay far away from motiv brand gears
just my 02

is there any difference in 1st gen explorer 4.0L and a 2nd, say 96-97 4.0L?
Reason I ask is because I can get a 96-97 ex 4.0L complete with transmission and trans case. Everything I need for a swap, its also a 5 speed. I know I can drop in a 91-94....
I can get it for $400, everything I need, rad etc. 100%

96-97 is OBD-II

I would use a 94 computer, wiring, ignition, MAS, and fuel rail with the 96+ OHV engine to make things easy on yourself.
Now this is with a 5 speed. You will need the BII brake/clutch pedal assembly, the master cylinder and hydraulic line to mate it to your BII master cyl to the 96-97 5 speed. You will want to get a factory bronco II 3 position clutch switch and remove your bypass clip from your factory harness that is in your auto BII right now. Basically you are not only putting in a *****in 4.0L but you are also performing a 5 speed converison to the truck at the same time.
Not a huge ordeal IMO, but it does require more parts.

What would we do with out Jamie?

I use 91 - 94 4.0L fuel rail so I do not need to change all my fuel lines? Is a 96-97 4.0L better than a 91-94 4.0L. I have the "new" style dash and have been told a 91 - 94 4.0L will plug right in, now would that be a problem with a 96-97. Is this a good deal? It has around 200,000KM not Miles, KM

OR

Should I take that $$ and put it into my gears than think about the 4.0? Not sure how many complete 97 4.0L 5 speeds I will be able to find for that price

What would we do with out Jamie?

Yeah no kidding, the only reason I paid for this site! hahaha

So did you go back to the states for x-mass? Or still here in Van?

you are creating more work for yourself.

The 97 4.0L is an excellent engine and will fit in your truck with a bit of work.
I forgot you will also need the 91-94 oil pan and pickup tube, and the engine mounts and plates for the 97 engine.

You can use a 4.0L from 91-2001 for your truck, but the ttb suspension means you need to make it fit using 91-94 OHV parts and the 97 computer is OBD II so you need the 93-94 computer and wiring.

Putting in the 89-90 style dash to me is making more work for yourself for a cosmetic gain, if you like that dash go for it, it is ALOT of work, there is a BII on this site right now that just got that done...

You need gears no matter what engine you run, removing the 2.9L and automatic in favor of a 4.0L and 5 speed is the best thing that ever happened to your BII, the 4.0L will make the BII scream and reliable, the 5 speed will save you headaches down the road from rebuilding the A4LD

These are big projects but if you prepare enough it will all bolt in.
Even with the later style dash you will still have wiring to do AND you are creating more issues to deal with, like the HVAC controls, air ducts, dashpot wiring, etc and you better get all the parts you need from one donor or you are opening more cans of worms.

I vote for gears and 4.0L conversion, the order and route you take to get there is up to you, based on the research you do now.
I looked at everything I could regarding the 4.0L conversion for almost 2 years before I dove in head first, it took me a full year of driving the truck to get it 100% correct, and then I ripped out the 5 speed and went auto for better around town driving, wheeling and most of all towing. it is a very common conversion these days.

Basically the only difference between a 91-94 explorer 4.0L and your EFI 2.9L (engine wise) is:
MAS
DIS ignition

the 89-90 BII has very similar wiring under the hood as the 91-92 Explorer, in the later years of the 2.9L they went to the later style headlights and under hood power distribution, in 90-91 they even made a MAS 2.9L making the 4.0L conversion even that much easier.

it is not difficult to convert your truck to integrate this under hood power distribution system, if you want the Gen I style dash with it, go for it, but its not required as you can see on my truck, I still have a 100% functional and 100% 1988 style dash, even with an OBD-II computer and 98 drivetrain.

my truck already has the "new" style dash, its in the truck, it was there when I got it, it also has some 1989 doors... Must have been a late production on the 88.

Yeah no kidding, the only reason I paid for this site! hahaha

So did you go back to the states for x-mass? Or still here in Van?

Still in honkouver. My last test is in 2 hours..then tomorrow at 4am i have to be at the airport.

Still in honkouver. My last test is in 2 hours..then tomorrow at 4am i have to be at the airport.

hahaha I think its actually Hongcouver... hahaha
So you are going to drive your truck back so we can go wheelin?

hahaha I think its actually Hongcouver... hahaha
So you are going to drive your truck back so we can go wheelin?

tomatoes tomotoes lol.
No, i wont be driving it up regretfully. Im currently in the hording cash mode still. I have an SAS build coming up and i plan to do it like IZwack, so bringing my truck up this year is out of my budget. Maybe next year:(

Had to get a tow lastnight, having a problem here, any ideas would be great, I posted in the 911 Thread but no help as of yet.

Driving home from work yesterday and around 5 to 10 min of driving my truck just dies out. Still have all my power, but motor just dies out. It will start back up after the motor cools down, but once it warms up it dies right back out. I had no problems before, no signs of anything. Once its cooled down it starts with no problem, runs with no problem, does not sputter before it dies out or anything.
Any ideas here?
Oh yeah Merry Chrismass to the ****** a**holes who gave me a hand lastnight. I died out in the middle of farm land and only 3 houses were around and not one of them would let me use there phone or call a tow truck!!!

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh Ignition module
thanx explorer911!
haha
lets hope that this is what it is!
Any pointers on putting this in?

Those symptoms do point to a bad TFI module, when I had a 2.9L I kept a spare in the glove box and the hand tool to change it out.

I think its a 5.5 mm socket and it has to fit in the plastic hole, you can use a 1/4" drive and get to the two bolts, I had to grind down the walls of my socket the first time I changed it so it would fit inside the plastic TFI module housing deep enough to get on the screw.
They sell a tool designed specifically for this at auto parts places, and an old Tamiya rc car 4 way wheel wrench works perfect if I am not mistaken.

It has been years since I messed with a TFI module.
You are supossed to put lithium grease on the back side of the TFI to help with heat transfer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

will a normal 5.5mm socket work? I have a 5.5 socket.... I am at work now, truck is at home, cant go check. I am going to the parts store at lunch time, they have one in stock, $75

Back