Solved - My charger said that the battery is 75% charged while it's connected to the van. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved My charger said that the battery is 75% charged while it's connected to the van.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

joshhemming

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Aerostar 2wd 3.0L
My van's battery is only a year old. I forgot and left the lights on overnight so the battery didn't have enough juice to start the van yesterday. A digital voltmeter showed only 3.5 volts. Instead of jump starting it, I hooked a Schumacher SC-1200A charger to it and charged it in-vehicle (with battery cables still connected) overnight. This morning the charger's digital display showed only a 75% charge and the green CHARGED/MAINTAINING light was not on yet. But the engine started fine. I drove it for about 8 miles, making a total of 3 stops. Each time it restarted fine.

Does charging a battery while it's still hooked up to the engine prevent it from charging to 100%? Or is my problem more likely a bad cell?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would give it a few more cycles to try and recover before I would say it's bad.

Best thing is to charge it and then let it sit for a day without charging so you get a more accurate result.

Did you check the voltage of the charging system with the engine running? The reading on the charger might be off since it's connected to the van. There's a constant current draw from the computer, and the radio memory circuits. Check the voltage with the engine on then take another reading with the engine off a few hours later.

I didn't do any additional checks because after driving it a couple more times over the past several days the battery is fine. The alternator has built its charge back up and is holding it.

I think the 75% reading that morning was due to it just needing more time to charge, since it was really drained.

Glad it worked out.

Remember an alternator is not designed to recharge a completely dead battery.

It's best to put a good charge on it overnight, let it cool for several hours and then test.

Back