my diy 4.0 ohv turbo build | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my diy 4.0 ohv turbo build

I flipped the driver side manifold so i can run a pipe under the bellhousing to Y with the outlet of the drivers side manifold there is where the turbo will be placed. Plan is low boost no more than 5 psi on a draw thru design with the recurculating bypass.
FORD40.jpg

i had built a temp down pipe to get the truck around during the build
ford403.jpg

runs good no leak from the manifold and today i pulled a garret T3 out of the wrecking yard for a few bucks
GARRETTT3.jpg

I have some digital photos for better quality ill download those when i get a chance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok so basically i can take the turbo i have a boost controller and a upgraded fuel pump and run up to 5 psi but if i want to run more i need larger injectors and a fpr. where you get your injectors from. also what psi a stock explorer run anyway. should be like 45 or something right. if so i might look into a rising rate regulator and wh carries a walbo 255 for the explorer

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

even 5 psi may push the limits of the duty cycle of the stock oem injectors ever setup is different. tuning is going to be the biggest battle. Turbos are more unpredictable than blowers due to the fact that they respond to load, heat and exhaust velocity rather than rpms. Most likely i will just drop in the 255 also that is the plan anyway

yeah i know depends on air charge and so on and so forth heat expansion all that good stuff. mine will be a pretty basic setup standard to3 like ur using plus clipped wheel manual boost controller 2.5 exhaust straight pipe. fm intercooler maybe methonol injection later. i was actually thinking of using a cold start injector or 2 in the air tube with a hobbs switch had good results on chryslers. each injector allowed for extra 2-3 psi on these turbos. other then that anyone know the flow rate of the stock 4.0 injectors i might just use my t2 chrysler units there bosch injectors. and i know the mustang injectors were able to be used in the chryslers with the 3.0s. or if anyone knows a good upgrade injector and where to get em let me know cus im tired of this na explorer i miss having a boosted car

im running 30#ers (bosch red tops) and there doing great even without the tune. I have no info such as duty cycle but the truck is running great it hauled a 500lb motor for half of a 5 hour trip. You can check the wrecking yards for thunderbird sc's (supercharged v6) they run 30#ers and for some reason ive seen some stock 4.0 ohvs with red tops and i still dont know why??? also lincoln mark8s with the 4.6 dohc have 24#ers (light blue tops)

ok this is completely out of this topic but wtf is the black box inside the drivers side rear fenderwell in the removable panel. i thought it was the amp then later found the amp in passenger side. anyone have any clue? also my injectors have red tops wow so im guessing all i need now is to drop the turbo in. o and simple question what fpr should i use

I'm not completely sure about the fpr thats something to search for ask around if anyone makes an aftermarket fpr for the ohv. Also I havent but if you have the cash tune the truck

Some of the first pictures aren't working anymore. I love this thread, is it still going strong?

Also, I want to say I remember a picture with your boost gauge coming through the radio area? I found a thread on a Mitsubishi Evolution forum on how to make your own A-pillar gauge holder. It's an interesting read, and if you've done this you can definitely make it.

well the truck is still cruisng dow nthe road. the heads and headgaskets are leaking and im losing water. I now work in a friends 3 bay repair shop on the weekends and he has hookups on discounted ramnufatured heads. Ill probally be doing the heads next weekend. As for the boost gauge i just stuffed it there for now because there is no radio in the truck which sucks :D. I still plan to go stand alone oh and heres sopme new videos...

here is uphill at 5psi

and here is 15psi on the gauge you can see how quickly it builds boost

and i cant lay into it hard at 15psi or it will detonate. I still plan to build a fuel system and tuning...posibly megasquirt maybe just not sure yet

Im also currently trying to push and get my cougar turbocharged

terrible videos....very unsafe....get a friend to hold the camera

Well, I was wondering how long your engine would hold together with 15 LBS of boost. If it's just the headgasket then that's good, seems like the crank, rods, and pistons are holding it....but for how long and what kind of conditions will push it past the limit.

All and all, very good.

Well, I was wondering how long your engine would hold together with 15 LBS of boost. If it's just the headgasket then that's good, seems like the crank, rods, and pistons are holding it....but for how long and what kind of conditions will push it past the limit.

All and all, very good.

i bought the xploder a couple of years ago. It had a blown hg and when i was driving it up a long hill it stated detonating furiously ("the death rattle") when i tore the motor down the gaskets were blown out in between cylinders and out the sides also. The heads were cracked severly to the point where the middle combustion chambers were pushed in and the valves were smashed into there seats and cracked. Yet the pistons barley had any specling and the bottom end was fine. This is how i first learned that the early 4.0s had strong bottom ends. The cheapest solution was a junkyard 92 motor with who knows how many miles and i dropped it in. And of course we all know about the early 4.0 heads prone to cracking they always do. One time at a wrecking yard i pulled many 4.0 heads to find them all cracked. Once i bol the reman heads on i should be good to go and i need to get it tuned and fueled properly

oh and ive only pushed it to 15psi a few times i keep it turned down to 5psi usually
heres a pic of the boost controller location. i still need to upgrade some things like the 90* elbows and paint the kit
DSC00032.jpg

I'd be willing to bet with an electric fan and modified position for hte radiator, you coudl make that entire setup look stock.

What I mean is lowering the radiator in the front a little bit, and putting the electric fan on it so it's encased, you'd have more room to run up front.

By the way, what'd you do with the washer fluid and cold fill for the radiator? Just get rid of it all together?

i still have the washer tank when i get around to it ill just relocate it somewhere and ill find a smaller overflow tank

all to come eventually. I plan to make some upgrades when i get a chance but i will have a overflow soon. eventually i would like to go stand alone, aftermarket radiator, water to air intercooler, build a battery box to shield it from heat, maybe a electric fan, and so on. also eveentually build a custom intake manifold as i have a spare sitting around to cutup and or work off of. i will build a custom upper to bolt onto the oem lower. I now have access to a tig welder and Ill be doing some practice soon.

man the whole time im just impressed with that you have done so far, I want to do a setup just like this so bad, but I have a 1993 ford explorer xlt (auto)

man the whole time im just impressed with that you have done so far, I want to do a setup just like this so bad, but I have a 1993 ford explorer xlt (auto)

the 93 engine bay is the same as my 91 so you have the same exact setup. the only thing different is that you have egr and an auto. a automatic is actually better for a turbocharged setup as you dont have to lift to shift thus keeping the turbo spooled. however for durability i would warn you about getting it tuned a set of new heads (my ex is getting new heads in the driveway soon...) and build the trans to last

yeah I did some more thinking about having a turbo auto explorer, and I said "what the hell it would be something cool", but instead of a front mount turbo. I'm thinking about doing a rear mount turbo, so under the hood it will look stock. The only thing I have to worry about is the explorer not blowing up while my dad drives it like a diesel(heavy foot) and tries to haul everything he can with it. In the mean time best of luck with your set-up and I hope soon you get some numbers on the dyno and at the track.

The only thing I have to worry about is the explorer not blowing up while my dad drives it like a diesel(heavy foot) and tries to haul everything he can with it.

Lol, that's why I took the hitch and ball off of mine. It became "what are you talking about Dad? i never had a hitch...."

yea hhopefully someday ill get some track results and still need to get some tuning hardware and software for now its my DD so i try to keep the boost turned down to 5psi. Im finishing up my single turbo cougar
th_MOV00161.jpg

Back