my diy 4.0 ohv turbo build | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my diy 4.0 ohv turbo build

I flipped the driver side manifold so i can run a pipe under the bellhousing to Y with the outlet of the drivers side manifold there is where the turbo will be placed. Plan is low boost no more than 5 psi on a draw thru design with the recurculating bypass.
FORD40.jpg

i had built a temp down pipe to get the truck around during the build
ford403.jpg

runs good no leak from the manifold and today i pulled a garret T3 out of the wrecking yard for a few bucks
GARRETTT3.jpg

I have some digital photos for better quality ill download those when i get a chance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, I'm so happy I just came upon this thread. Can't wait to see more progress!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The red tops you have in now are 19lb injectors. 5.4L na motors also have 19#ers I would try and find 30lb red tops out of the thunderbird sc from 89-93 they will be a direct replacement. You will have to tune the ecu for that big of a change however. with the stock ecu 21lb injectors and 5psi my turck was runnning lean at 15:1 AFR. We applied shop air pressure to the FPR and the AFRs went to 10-11 across the board. I have a fuel pressure gauge on it right now and Im working on ways to up the fuel pressure to get it running stronger. Im also in the start of upgrading.

yeah i actually had the idea on that i found a universal fpr on ebay. i intend to tap the stock hole for a npt and screw the adjustable fpr onto it for better tuning that way i know atleast i can adjust up the pressure on the stockers or when i put some massive ones in i can tune down the pressure a bit so i dont run rich at idle but i get the fuel i need under boost. and i thought the yellow tops in the explorer were 19s and the reds were 30. what other options do i have injector wise so i can up the boost a bit more i want around 10psi. also who makes a mls head gasket. i found the upgraded heads for pretty cheap brand new. i guess there thicker in the high crack prone areas. im gutting the air box cus its in the way anyway and grabbing the non ac belt ifigure i can put the turbo closer to the firewall with that box gone. i guess in turn i wont have to use as much piping then. o yeah btw whats the flange inner diameter for that t2 turbo your running. o yeah with the turbo set back should allow me to have enough room to mount a longer pipe for the maf and filter. and whats the inlet diameter on the turbo also. o yeah forgot to even ask what is the stock fuel pressure on our trucks

Cut the flange out on my break tonight all ready for tommorrow. I have all the parts and tools.
DSC01236.jpg

got a quick question are the ecus in the 93s the same as the 94s cus i just found a complete tuning system for the eec1v system online. if i dont sell the truck that is

heres the new progress theres no reason why it shouldnt be running tomorrow. The hotside and new downpipe is done. Just have to tap the timing cover for another return line and hook up and cold side.
twinturbosploder008.jpg

twinturbosploder009.jpg

twinturbosploder003.jpg

twinturbosploder002.jpg

looks good so far man hey i might have a solution other then megasquirt to help you tune the beasty

http://www.tweecer.com/

full reprogrammer for the eec1V system compatable for the 92 up explorer 4.0 ohv

u got a spare flange laying around?

I made the flange at work and if Tweecer supports the EECIV which I thought they didnt Ill look into it. I still rather go with a megasquirt so i can ditch the MAF and go speed density. I experimented with compound turbo charging but it wasnt working as good as I hoped so tomorrow Ill just Y the compressor outlets together into the intake. On a good note nothings leaving so thats good.
twinturbosploder016.jpg

twinturbosploder017.jpg

twinturbosploder018.jpg

Tweecer support is 97+ in the Explorer.

Ryan

Thats what i thought. Theres not many applications that Tweecer supports for EECIV ecus.

You have room for a couple more over there.

actually i emailed them they support the eec1v system inthe explorer all the way back to 92 it depends on the ecu u have i believe i have the ecu marked any1

email from tech there
Ok, it is 1992 where our Exploder support begins. The definitions are the absolute minimum that you need to be able to tune your setup. Apparently, the Ranger & explorer shared the same powertrain during this period? You will use the W2E1 strategy for your ANY1 processor.

It now has compound twin turbos and I am installing a Vortech super adjustable fmu.

Dude, that is just plain awesome.

What is your boost level and how long do you think that engine is going to last? I have only seen things like that in pulling tractors.

How about a dyno pull video?

I'm not worthy...:notworthy

Dude, that is just plain awesome.

What is your boost level and how long do you think that engine is going to last? I have only seen things like that in pulling tractors.

How about a dyno pull video?

I'm not worthy...:notworthy

I'm not going to be pushing major boost yet. i do have an Vortec super adjustable fmu now to control fuel pressure. Eventually I would like to run about 15-18psi but some tuning equiptment is needed first. I will be at a dyno meet this weekend but my pockets are lighter than they should be so the sploder will sit it out this time.

hola

well just got the truck put back together new performance clutch i got a new lower intake mine was crap. new permadry gasket also redid the valve covers the gaskets were leaking like a b*tch. you ever get your truck on the dyno. more bad news is i snapped the output shaft in half on my transmission where it slides into the transfer case. go figure get work done where it runs great again and boom another problem. anyone know if they make an adapter plate for the t5 to bolt to the 4.0. hey turbo cat any more advancements on your project. o yeah almost forgot while i have the tranny out im going to mock up a new y pipe and the ct26 turbo i have. found a guy to sell me 3 inch pipe for dirt

I just read this whole thread from start to finish, lots of great info!! I stumbled onto it searching for info on turboing the 4.0 ohv.

I have a '91 explorer 4.0 w/ an auto, I recently ordered a .60 trim T3/T4 turbo I plan on fabbing up some tubing like you did and hopefully having as much success. So I understand from this, that my stock injectors are 19lb, and i should upgrade them to 21 or 24, and that i can safely run 5 psi maybe a little more, the bottom end is strong, the heads may need to be replaced/upgraded, and i can keep my stock maf and other stock parts.

should i put in a lower temperature thermostat (say 180) for the turbo?

Will any fuel injector from any vehicle fit? just as long as the plug is the same shape?

only a couple of your pictures (and none of the videos) show up. i'd love to see (and hear) some video footage of you're sc'd 4.0 any other tips or pointers?

i'm really excited about my 4.0 project now, and a lot more confident now that i have read about you're success. most people i've talked to only tell me how crappy the 4.0 is and that i'm crazy and should use a different engine.

Back