My exhaust is falling apart | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My exhaust is falling apart

That's not the point, the cats aren't bad, at least I don't think they are, I just want my exhaust system to be new...including the cats. The rattle I was hearing is my muffler, that is what's bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want a poll to see what kinds of exhausts people have put on their 1st gen explorers. I have a choice between stock, flowmasters, dynomax. I think that's all that's available. I want a nice deep sound, even though I know the 4.0L motor isn't very big, I know that I can still get some kind of nicer sound than stock on my rig. Since I've lost my mustang, I need to mod my ex.

Flowmaster 40 series has a deep albeit loud rumble to it. If you want something a tad quieter, then the 50 series would be a good choice. Dynomax mufflers usually have more of a "mellow" sound and aren't as loud as a Flowmaster and I've heard that they flow more than a Flowmaster.

When I had my J**P, I had a local exhaust shop put on 2.5" pipe from the exhaust manifold back with a high flow cat and a generic version of the Flowmaster 40 series and you could literally hear that 4.2L straight 6 idling a good 50 yards away. That was 8 years ago and I don't think that I'd subject myself to that kind of noise again.

I'd go with a Flowmaster 50 series or a Dynomax SuperTurbo if you're looking for a mix of aggressiveness and quietness.

machgirl I used to live in Boise and I also have a 1st gen explorer. I can tell you it has been well worth the bit of fixing it has needed and with the winters in your area and the crazies that drive on 84 having a 4x4 is a good thing and one that is built like the explorers of the first gen is also a plus I found . as for the cat back system I had it done but when I moved to Calif and yes even here back then (2000) I could and did go from two cats to one so I bet you can there also as your smog check is nothing to what it is here and to this day I still pass smog with my one cat its just you can no longer do that here any more. I will say I would fix whets wrong and then do maybe a 2 inch lift and also add a heavy duty front bumper and brush guard not so much for the deer and elk and or cattle but for the crazy drivers in the winter . Any way that’s just my personal opinion. One last thing you can find a bench seat for your X as a bench seat from a ranger will fit they also came with 60 /40 seats with a fold down arm rest in the middle some were only an arm rest and some like mine were arm rest and storage. Yes the explorers did come that way as mine is still stock and I bought it used when it was 4 years old from Peterson motors on Fairview ave in Boise so I have had it now for about 13 years of it life and it now has over 200,000 miles with many more still in it I hope! It also made a great hunting rig when I lived there same with fishing and also a good boat hauler too.

Man I wished I still lived in Idaho but as long as my ex lives there I will not it’s a personal safety thing!

I live in Kuna. I love it out here. I used to live near Idaho City.

Well, this isn't exhaust related, but I DID find rust on the 'side panels'. Rocker panels, whatever they're called, and its B A D.
DSCN3655.jpg

DSCN3654.jpg

DSCN3653.jpg

What am I going to do about this? This is the LEFT side, the right side isn't as bad, yet.

I guess I'm going to HAVE to use the dual-cat system for my ex. Damn it. Was hoping I wouldn't have to. Guess I'll be saving my pennies for that one. Gonna have my catback replaced next week, it sounds horrible.

The right side is probably worse than you think since they're the same metal on same truck exposed to the same environment... so you have at least 4 panels to cut away and replace for both sides.

If you pay someone to have it done it'll probably cost roughly double the book value of the truck... but book value doesn't mean a lot IMO if you look at long term costs to own one vs repeatedly buying a newer one.

I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. It's my daily driver. I need it to be a sound vehicle. I wouldn't be able to afford a newer used X even if I wanted to.

Dang, oh yeah and the tops of the wheel wells in the rear are starting to rust as well. How bad of a job is this to do? I know nothing of welding...not sure about the husband tho.

On a four door Explorer, you can just cut off the rocker panel. There's no interior access (like on the Sports), so it's fine to cut it and leave it.

You can also cut it and weld in a piece of rectangular tube (1/8" thick 2x4" works great, but you can go thinner if you just want it for cosmetics and can find it.

Most expensive option is to buy new rocker panels and have them welded in, not to mention the cutting and bodywork involved as shown in the thread.

But you might also be able to just cut out the existing rust and have patch panels welded in place rather than replace the entire rocker, though if it's rusted, it's best to replace EVERYTHING ...AND get rid of the tupperware, since the holes the retainers use in the rocker is what lets water and salt in there and rusts it out to begin with.

As for the exhaust, the stock converter is fine. There's no point in an aftermarket one unless the factory converter is clogged up or something. They are $200-300 new, which is hella expensive for something just to have a shiny one. The Dynomax catback works fantastic with the stock manifolds and converters. The only thing I'd suggest is a KKM True-rev kit, or at least a drop-in K&N filter. Keep the MAF sensor and throttle body clean and it should be more tourquey than ever. Don't forget the throttle cable 'mod' for proper tension on the gas pedal, too.

Sad to hear about the mustang, but your X should serve you well.

Ok, that's what I figured, most expensive way is the full panels. I've seen lots of older x's with no side skirt...just flat all the way down. But wouldn't I still have to fix it for it to look right? I can deal without the side skirts if necessary, but would it look funny? I don't want to go the cheapest route, but will if I have to.

Ok, throttle cable mod? I guess I need to search for that one lol.

Yeah, the guy who bought it called me last night to let me know she arrived. Put his phone to the exhaust.....man I miss that sound :(

The rust is just the thing to help you put on rock sliders and to also cut open the wheel wells for larger tires LOL. I removed my plastic ground trim things long time ago and the holes look bad but no rust at all so far! now some day I plan to get a welder and then look out bumpers front and rear sliders and who knows what other things I can come up with after all when its no longer my DD its going to become a trail rig but still be street legal .

By the way Kuna is not as nice looking as Idaho City but it sure gets a lot less snow and the roads are better and more choices for getting to the big city LOL. If you can call Boise that. but I do have to admit last time there a few years ago I could not believe how it had grown fact is it had turned into a place I no longer would want to live. Boise that is not Idaho but as long as my ex lives in Idaho I stay away for my own safety!

So if I just cut that whole panel off, leave off the plastic side skirt, can I still put steps on it? Or is that entire piece necessary for that?

I can't make this truck a trail rig. It's the only vehicle that I have now that I don't have my stang.

I like Kuna. It's flat, yes, but it's still far enough from Boise that we still live in a 'small town'. I know, I've lived here 22 of my 32 years and its just exploded, haha. I DON'T miss the mountain snow that's for sure!

Do not know about the steps but if you start working now on making it a trail rig by the time your done I bet you will have another DD also. kind of like my planed if I fix it I do it with that mind set of it some day being a trail rig but for now its my DD also but a DD can have bigger wheel well openings and tires along with rock sliders ya know (WINK WINK) fact do the rock sliders and then add to them a side step tub gaur thing and if any one slides into you on 84 well there lower then you!

I just use a bad thing like a repair or fix to make it one step closer to what I want later.

Look at where your step, (running board?) mounts, it is possible that area is rusty too. If you don't replace those panels, only cutting away the rusty ones, the whole area is less structurally sound. If you aren't going to replace them I would not cut them at all, instead putting some of that rust converter paint on both sides, everywhere you have access to which might require drilling some holes and using a wand to apply the paint... and of course throw some fiberglass and bondo over areas where there metal has gaping holes... just be sure to remove as much rust scale as you can or the body filler will fall off later... or of course there is the other DIY cheap option of just taking some sheet metal, beating it into a shape you are happy "enough" with and riveting it on...

I don't know your skill level doing body work nor if you can weld or pay someone to weld if you are able to cut it away and do the rest, buying the panels and painting it after seams are filled. Basically whatever you can do yourself you can find someone to do the other parts of the work and save some money, especially if you aren't picky about the paint job as that area isn't very noticeable at all with doors shut, skirt and running boards, except that piece in the front of the wheel well.

The plastic side skirt things are all that is on my rig. I'm going to remove them, and assess the complete damage to the panels. I don't want to have to replace the entire panels, but will if that will make it easier.
How would removing the flimsy pieces of metal on the sides of the truck make it not structurally sound?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I SHOULD RENAME THIS THREAD LOL.

PIX of the left side! YEAAHH, the whole damn thing is bad. Got rust starting in on the inside panel as well. Right side is prolly just as bad.

DSCN3662.jpg

DSCN3668.jpg

DSCN3666.jpg

DSCN3664.jpg

What's my next move, how long can I leave my truck like this before it becomes a severe problem? Winter's on its way, and I only have this vehicle to drive now that my stang is gone.
Why would removing these panels on the outside make the whole thing not stable? I don't have the money to take it to someone to have it done. Yet, I don't have experience with welding yet. What is the cheapest and easiest way to fix the problem, if even only temporarily until I get more cash?

Back