My Explorer build. | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is seeping out a puddle of about a foot around, every couple of days. It's the seams of the plastic tanks on mine, has done it since I bought the truck, but worse this Winter. I've used three stop leaks in the last six weeks or so. Mine is holding steady so far.

As long as you can keep up with it, wait until you have all the parts you want to replace.

Mine is seeping out a puddle of about a foot around, every couple of days. It's the seams of the plastic tanks on mine, has done it since I bought the truck, but worse this Winter. I've used three stop leaks in the last six weeks or so. Mine is holding steady so far.

As long as you can keep up with it, wait until you have all the parts you want to replace.

That is what I am planning to do. Not gonna stop driving her just yet :) I enjoy it to much. I have got to get another Stop leak in her and fill her up with AntiFreeze again and keep on going.

Sounds good, I'm waiting for warmer weather, and to get my 99 running.

I finally bought some distilled water for the radiator, I had to use a little tap water for a few days. I keep a jug in the truck with me since the leak got worse last month.

When you do it, just be very careful to make sure your shock is not the bump stop as it completely depends how you lift your truck.

A body lift does nothing for range of motion on the lower control arm.
A spring lift also does nothing to change the range of motion.

Lots of guys found this out the hard way.

Yup I know a lot of this. Thank you sir. I am wanting a simple lift to get thru some trails I love doing out here in Colorado. I know getting a 2" TT and AAL or Shackles will get me what I am looking for to get into the trails I am wanting. If I want more then I will look into getting a SAS and an SOA. I run around a lot with Jeeps and know what is needed to get Articulation for my Rig. Thank you sir for the info though.

Get a radiator with a solid lifetime warranty I've gone through 3 myself

Sounds good to me. I have been looking to see what I can find. So far I have found one on Amazon for about $90. Debating if I want to do that. I will still look around for one. I know getting an all aluminum one would safe me tons of money in the long run so I will keep looking. Right now I am gonna do what @CDW6212R is doing till I am able to get one to replace it.

I have a question about a TC for my EX. Debating on weather I will be getting a Manual or Electric shift transfer. I have read a lot about the issues with the VSS and I saw that the Electric Shift from an Expedition has the VSS in the tail. I know I will have to either 1 get a short fuel tank from a 2 door or totally relocate fuel tank to were Spare tire is. Wanting to keep her running good and have the Speedo and Cruse control (Nice thing to have lol) Just wanted to hear some pros and cons. Yes I know I could lose 4wd hi or 2wd on trail if I have the electric transfer. But that is something we all deal with when out on the trails. Just have to have the spare parts for it.

Thanks all.

The VSS speed sensor is in the bigger trucks until 1999, the change was for 1998 in the Explorers. I have a 98 Navigator BW4406 TOD for my truck. The electric shift TC should be almost as reliable as the stock V6 version, the shift motor and modules are the same. I don't know how strong that internal clutch is for the trails you will see.

The fuel tank is just finding a Sport model, can you give up five gallons of capacity? I still haven't begun trying to graft the 2nd gen tank top surface, onto my old 93 tank. If the steel top part can be attached well to the old plastic tank, then those could be used and keep the 22 gallon size.

The VSS speed sensor is in the bigger trucks until 1999, the change was for 1998 in the Explorers. I have a 98 Navigator BW4406 TOD for my truck. The electric shift TC should be almost as reliable as the stock V6 version, the shift motor and modules are the same. I don't know how strong that internal clutch is for the trails you will see.

The fuel tank is just finding a Sport model, can you give up five gallons of capacity? I still haven't begun trying to graft the 2nd gen tank top surface, onto my old 93 tank. If the steel top part can be attached well to the old plastic tank, then those could be used and keep the 22 gallon size.

Yeah that is the only thing about doing an electric one. The trails I go on. Will it handle the 33" tires and the rocks I will want to climb over :) I have handle losing 5 gallons I think LOL. I was thinking about getting a Fuel tank from a Mustang with the 5.0 in it and figure out how to get it installed in the rear.

There was another recent thread about swapping another tank in place of the spare. I forgot which tank they used, there are a couple of models that may work, from an F150 one was. I would follow those examples, they listed tank dimensions, and had some bracket examples etc, how to mount them. I gather that also helps with not scraping the original tank in front of the rear end.

Yeah I have read that one it was a tank from a E-150. Had to Modify the fuel pump assembly a little cause it was shorter but still a 20 gallon tank. Yeah I have been looking reading and just filling my head with a bunch of things to do to my ex. :)

If I remember right, the tank in place of spare tire idea was a 92-96 F-150 tank, but I've been wrong many times.

Well I installed some new LED lights on my bumper over the weekend and then all of a sudden I got a bad squeak some where while I am driving. Tonight I will be looking at all the brakes and make sure it is not coming from there.

Here is a picture of the lights.
Lights (Medium).jpg

I like how they added some more light to the night :) They are hooked up to my stock Fog light light switch now if I could find the thread that showed you how to disconnect it I will be doing that. Were you can thrun them on with out the lights being on.

I have a question for you all. I did my brakes last night and when I was running the Piustons bake in brake fluid came out. That is no big deal the deal I am worried about is that the Fluid was Green. My brakes are fine and the fluid did not look dirty. I just never saw green brake fluid. Just a question. Thanks.

I'd think about flushing the brake fluid thru the lines at some point. Iv'e never heard of, or seen, green brake fluid before.

I'd think about flushing the brake fluid thru the lines at some point. Iv'e never heard of, or seen, green brake fluid before.

I should have taken a picture so you all would not think I was crazy or something LOL

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The brake fluid gets slowly contaminated over time. The fluid is moving constantly back and forth through the lines from the MC, to the calipers. So it needs to be flushed(bled out) out once in a while, say every two years, depending on usage.

Most brake fluid is almost clear, which helps to see how dirty the old fluid is. Some has been made with a color like blue, to alternate with clear fluid, to help to know when old fluid is flushed out. ATE used to make the blue, they had it and clear, same fluid but two colors. Now I can only get the clear brake fluid, I liked having the two choices before.

4x4-3001-b.png

s-l225.png

These are nice to have but I agree with Dono and Don, green is not good and it needs to be flushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back