Dismiss Notice

to owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, and more! The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource on the Internet since 1996. We also cover the Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

My new 347

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by Dono, May 22, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 Limited V8
      Makes my eye twitch.
      I think on this torque converter thing, no one wants to touch it because there isn't really any money in it for them to do it. That's the only reason I can think of.

It was funny that you talked about getting a letter in writing. That is kinda how my conversation went about "Who is going to pay if the thrust bearing goes out again because you told me that there is no issue?"

And better than before is just about being reliable now. I'm going to keep boost at waste gate spring pressure (6 lbs). Once its tuned and working great, I'll introduce water/meth and see if I can get a couple more degree's of timing added. Then, I might try upping the boost slightly. lol

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      1\32 = .031 we know that.
      4\32 = .125 we know that.

Big difference. Now include thermal growth of crankshaft and thermal growth of transmission input shaft and we get even tighter.

What's normal crankshaft thrust clearance? .010 Max? (Too lazy to get my books out)

Perhaps find a custom fabrication shop that can water jet cut a thicker separator plate between the engine and transmission to get the clearance back?

I know it's expensive but with all of the hell you have been through it might be worth it.

My company truck is in the shop right now so I don't have my micrometers to tell you how thick mine is.

4. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Referencing this post on my torque converter:
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-new-347.427497/page-23#post-3607154

measuring with a flat blade across the bell housing and then measuring from from the flat blade to TC

TC pilot spec is 1/8 inch doing this. I now have .093 ( way closer to 1/8 inch than I had).
      TC to flex mount is now 1 inch. That's exactly the spec I read.

I think this should do it.

TCS was extremely concerned about shortening the torque converter. When they received it and checked it out, it was dead on spec.
      They were concerned that if this TC goes in to anything else, there will be a different issue. That and changing sizes messes with the internals of the TC.
      They ended up taking 1/16 of an inch out. Not as much as I wanted, but it will give more room. It looks like they shortened the pilot slightly more also.

TCS performed the work for me free of charge, Which is always appreciated.

5. Josh P

Josh P Shaggin Wagon Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Phoenix Az
      1991 aerostar
      Any plans to take it to the track when you get it finished?

6. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Ummmm... No

errrr,.........maybe

Maybe under a low boost condition when I'm absolutely sure I have absolutely no detonation. I can't keep breaking shit.

Right now, I just want my daily driver back. Being down a vehicle is slowly adding more stress to my family members.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I had some friends show up in their modified Jeeps/4 Runner to go rock climbing on the Canadian Shield. I opted out of going with them to work around the house and get my motor put together. They over night at my place going to/from the location. And, as luck would have it, cold and rainy. They camped 2 nights and bugged out. The rain gives great traction on the rocks, but camping in the cold and rain isn't much fun. So, I worked happily away at putting my motor back together and in its engine bay while they were beating the crap out of their vehicles.

This time when priming the oil pump/galleys I added my oil pressure gauge in the mix to make sure I was seeing pressure with the drill. 50 lbs. I'm going to call that good news.

I didn't have much luck getting the motor past that hard AC line this time. It was super easy last time. Anyway, the compressor slid down from where I has it strapped, and suddenly the tell tale hissing <Insert swear words of your choice here>.At least it was that red-tek Freon replacement so it wasn't toxic to anyone or anything.
      Tim to the rescue again. His dad dropped off a replacement for me the next morning. Thanks Tim (and Dad)!

Tonight, the front dress and rad wen't in. Then coolant. I really needed to know if the coolant was going to leak out as fast as I could pour it in. And, silence! All that could be heard was the sound of my feet on the ground doing the happy dance, Not pressure tested, but so far so good.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some more done.

crimped ac line.jpg

8. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      just dont booger that one up! its the last one we have lo!

9. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Yes!!!! It is going back together!!!!
      So happy for you, keep the posts coming!
      Good luck to you on the rest of the install!