My power window motor bearing went dry. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My power window motor bearing went dry.

don-ohio

Reaction score
City, State
jackson,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Aerostar extended
Just took off the motor on passenger side and only rust,but no grease on the worm gear shaft bearing. Still,since it IS 24 yrs.old,a 94, I ordered another assembly from Advance Auto for only 46.99. Is this a great country or what?
Had to drill 2 access holes to get to the motor mount bolts,but pretty easy to remove. I'll post back if I get it fixed tomorrow. The lil wifey has to have her window over there. LOL! don-ohio :)^)
00303_89NM0SGvTAR_600x450.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well,not so great today...............they gave me the wrong motor/gear. The drive gear did not mesh correctly with the regulator teeth.
A lot of work and had to remove it. Taking it back tomorrow and they SAY they'll have the right one at noon. Not too sure about this.
don-ohio

I found that Rock Auto has the right parts and reasonable prices, In most cases $5.00 or more lower than Advance. The shipping is pretty low too, the only downside is the one week wait.

Yeah,they're okay. But like you said,the wait time. I had to get this fixed by today so I can tear into the moonroof leak on my wife's Lincoln LS. Drain hose must've broken loose. Have to drop the headliner a coupla inches and put new hose or reattach hose.
The Aerostar is finally fixed.they got the right part. #83998 is the correct part from Adavnce Auto,has the correct sized gear.
Window is all lubed up, plenty of grease on the sliding parts,etc. Works great! don-ohio

Glad you got the right part. What did you use to lube the window tracks? I have tried silicone and it just doesn't seem to work very well.

No,no core,Brooklyn. Just 42.99 (got a discount for having to go thru all that. Was 46.99. The lube I used was all I had for the glass sliding in the felt...............silicone spray.
Anything else would be hard to clean off and keep on smudging, wouldn't it? I used wheel bearing grease on the mechanism(regulator) and sprayed lithium grease where I couldn't reach.
That thing is perfect,like new now. Makes me wanna tear the driver's side down and lube it,yannow? Thanks. don-ohio :)^)

Maybe I didn't use enough silicone spray, yes anything else would keep smearing. Lubing the drivers side sounds like a good idea. Then you might not have to worry about the motor for a while. The passenger side motor was the original one? And it lasted 24 years, that's pretty good.

Most people use white lithium grease on the slides.

I tried that once and all it did was smear all over the glass. Maybe I should try putting some on a small putty knife and spoon it in the slide.

Back