My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 81 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

30 mpg is an unreachable number for me. I have a 96 xlt 5.0 thats 4 all-time 4 wheel drive that needs new o2 sensors and I get 11 mpg:(

30 mpg is an unreachable number for me. I have a 96 xlt 5.0 thats 4 all-time 4 wheel drive that needs new o2 sensors and I get 11 mpg:(

wow. even with 4.10's I get 13.5-14.5

Aldive,
Could you make a "in a nutshell" post for us on what you did to obtain 30 mpg+? Perhaps make a list from most important to least important mods? I want to do this prior to installing HHO

Aldive,
Could you make a "in a nutshell" post for us on what you did to obtain 30 mpg+? Perhaps make a list from most important to least important mods? I want to do this prior to installing HHO

you really just need to take the time and read the whole thread. sooo many people ask, and the sam ething comes up, look in his sig, he has a list of what he's done. he's also said that underdrive pulleys were one of the best mods he's done...

Aldive,

Its all in this thread.

you really just need to take the time and read the whole thread. sooo many people ask, and the sam ething comes up, look in his sig, he has a list of what he's done. he's also said that underdrive pulleys were one of the best mods he's done...

Who wants to take the time to read 81 pages of posts?

That being said, Afboy, I'd just look in aldive's signature for what he's done and then if you have a specific question, ask.

Who wants to take the time to read 81 pages of posts?

That being said, Afboy, I'd just look in aldive's signature for what he's done and then if you have a specific question, ask.

Sure, seems like a lot. But it's the best source for better mileage I've seen to date. So after having been someone that did read 74 pages at once, I can say that I'm glad I did so I know what's been covered and don't waste Aldive's time asking questions that have been covered time and time again. Specifically "Al, what have you done to get better mileage?". Um... read the thread? It's covered.

(long)Do you remember a time before www(dot com)

I would like to thank all of those involved in bringing this forum together and also to those who have contributed to its continued success. The information that is posted here is beneficial to all owners of these vehicles. I have learned so much about my 96 explorer that I can't imagine how I got along without this group when I had my first generation explorer. There is a wealth of knowledge available here that will allow us to keep our explorers running well beyond the 100-150K mile mark or even further. I know that I have only scratched the surface of available information in this forum. I remember when there was no internet, and we didn't have this access to amount or quality of information. Flipping through a book. Looking through microfiche. This forum is a tool, and it is just as important as a screwdriver, wrench, or a hammer and it will save you money if you use it. From Al's fuel saving information to DIY information, it is all here if people will take the time to read it and learn from it. You will learn what works for our vehicles, and what is a waste of time and money. If you think about it, isn't it nice to be able to do this from the comfort of your home?

:thumbsup:

I would like to thank all of those involved in bringing this forum together and also to those who have contributed to its continued success. The information that is posted here is beneficial to all owners of these vehicles. I have learned so much about my 96 explorer that I can't imagine how I got along without this group when I had my first generation explorer. There is a wealth of knowledge available here that will allow us to keep our explorers running well beyond the 100-150K mile mark or even further. I know that I have only scratched the surface of available information in this forum. I remember when there was no internet, and we didn't have this access to amount or quality of information. Flipping through a book. Looking through microfiche. This forum is a tool, and it is just as important as a screwdriver, wrench, or a hammer and it will save you money if you use it. From Al's fuel saving information to DIY information, it is all hear if people will take the time to read it and learn from it. You will learn what works for our vehicles, and what is a waste of time and money. If you think about it, isn't it nice to be able to do this from the comfort of your home?

:salute:

Uhm.... Holy {vulgar term for feces}.... My eyes have gone square.

I'm gonna start with better parts on an upcoming 50,000 mile tune up. Plugs, wires, filters, etc etc.

A few things I need clarification on:
Al, did the HHO kit give you enough of a mileage gain for you to give it a strong recommendation to the rest of us?

Since there's not a dyno shop that I can get a recommendation for, anyone tell me if an on the fly programmer is worth the price tag, and which one is the best for a 2005 Ex 4.0L V6 2WD?

Al, your list of mods is outstanding, but my biggest question is seeing that you and I have 2 different styles of Ex, do you think I'd have any problems, or get better results with anything on your list?

If you all got together and opened up a custom Explorer shop, ya'll would have Ex's from around the world gettin brought in for mileage and performance mods. I tip my hat to all the Explorer Experts on this site.

The door panels may say 32, but I doubt your tires are only rated to 32.. Most are rated to at least 35. I believe the tires aldive is running are rated to 44psi.. Those are Max pressure ratings to get the max load carrying capacity. As you increase pressure (to the max) you usually get less rolling resistance but depending on the tires you can end up with bad wear or harsh ride. Its a trade off but with as heavy as the explorer is, I haven't noticed bad center tread wear with higher tire pressure on our X.

~Mark

Remember that that is a MAX psi rating, understanding that if you check your air pressure cold before driving it may be at 32psi, but I have done several road test on many different tires on trucks & cars with some tires gaining as much as 6,7, even 8 psi after driving interstate for 3 hours & checking them when they are hot, like right after pulling into a rest area or gas station, just like being at a drag strip, you can pull a car off the trailer with 18psi, do a burnout & one run down the track come back to the pits & you may see 21-22 psi, constantly having to adjust pressure during your first 5-6 runs to get the tire to stabalize PSI at a specific tire temp.
So with saying that if you put 44psi in a tire with a MAX rating of 44psi, you may actually be running 50psi going down the road under heavy loads or hot temps. We typically use a rule of thumb of the MAX psi minus 8 PSI and thats what we set tire pressure at. It still amazes me the amount of people in the world that think ALL tires should be set at 32psi & how many quick lube shops i see using 32psi in every car. Take an E rated truck tire, its max is 60psi usually
, setting that tire at 32psi and you might get 10-15K miles out of it & the ride is horrible.
Just some FYI information on tire pressure...

Remember that that is a MAX psi rating, understanding that if you check your air pressure cold before driving it may be at 32psi, but I have done several road test on many different tires on trucks & cars with some tires gaining as much as 6,7, even 8 psi after driving interstate for 3 hours & checking them when they are hot, like right after pulling into a rest area or gas station, just like being at a drag strip, you can pull a car off the trailer with 18psi, do a burnout & one run down the track come back to the pits & you may see 21-22 psi, constantly having to adjust pressure during your first 5-6 runs to get the tire to stabalize PSI at a specific tire temp.
So with saying that if you put 44psi in a tire with a MAX rating of 44psi, you may actually be running 50psi going down the road under heavy loads or hot temps. We typically use a rule of thumb of the MAX psi minus 8 PSI and thats what we set tire pressure at. It still amazes me the amount of people in the world that think ALL tires should be set at 32psi & how many quick lube shops i see using 32psi in every car. Take an E rated truck tire, its max is 60psi usually
, setting that tire at 32psi and you might get 10-15K miles out of it & the ride is horrible.
Just some FYI information on tire pressure...

oh, keep in mind that the MAX psi rating is the MAX psi COLD meaning the tire can actually handle more than that since it will increase as the tire heats up. It is funny though how some people thing 32 psi is what should be in every tire and never read the side walls. I work for a commercial truck tire shop...the tires we work with hold 110 to 130 psi cold but it's still the same concept.

I am now pretty sure 30 mpg per gallons is a realistic figure, specially for 2wd explorers. In my own experience my best mileage has been 28 mpg, exclusively on highway driving, with low traffic. Equipment all stock for a 2000 XLT with a 4.0 V6 SOHC, a L73 axle and command track 4wd system (auto).
The tire pressure is a key issue, I have noticed a difference up to 10 mpg from 26 psi to 33 psi (all terrain LT tires with a max. of 50 psi cold, 285/75 R15).

I am always aware of speed but put a lot more attention to revs and acceleration ratio (or how deep you are sinking the gas pedal to gain speed fast); at the end I must agree, below 70 mph; around 65 average.

About city driving (and offroad)...11-15 mpg (traffic jams), the average highway mileage, around 23 mpg.

Thanks Aldive for the thread.

Here's one way to save gas: http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/plug-in-hybrid-conversion-kit/20080729104209990001. The problem with this system is that the amount you will save doesn't justify the cost of buying it.

Isn't this what they were talking about accidentally exploding when they put it in a Prius?

If it doesn't cut my ability to pull a trailer, or get down the beach, or impede any other usual function of my Explorer (other than impeding how much gas it sucks up), it would be very worthwhile.

Lithium Ion batteries are being used in everything from laptops to cordless power tools, so they can't be that dangerous. Even many cell phones have them. I've never heard of a cell phone explode before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lithium Ion batteries are being used in everything from laptops to cordless power tools, so they can't be that dangerous. Even many cell phones have them. I've never heard of a cell phone explode before.
With the exception of the Dell Battery Recall which resulted in Lithium Ion batters catching on fire...

I know that was an isolated case related to a problem with Sony but just throwing it out there.

Back