My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 82 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Aldive 30mpg

I see no mention of exahust headers in your my truck. The obvious gain in Hp &Exahust flow= + MPG ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tire psi

Wht.stang, Dragon- heard of Purgin; nitorgen or somthing sold at ford dealers. Runs cooler no flux in psi +or- temp. Run it in my 02 ranger $35 install

I dont believe one word of the 85 pages of this post. Ive had my car more then 5 years and consistently drive as slow as humanly possible. With these habits in mind I am lucky to get the EPA of 16/20 for my 5.0 AWD model. The BEST I have ever gotten is 23 that was when doing 55 for 2 hours. I can see if you tailgate a tractor trailer you may get higher- but there is just no way you see regular 30+ mpg trips with the AC on and doing about 70. SORRY just cant happen, anyone believing this hype should get their head checked.

it sounds like you missed the parts of the SOHC being a vastly more efficient engine than the OHV. combine that with it's only 2wd instead of AWD/4WD, the under drive pulley, electric fan, less restrictive intake, larger MAF, larger throttle body, less restrictive exhaust, spark plugs with a larger gap, oh yea and the numerous custom tunes.

on a stock SOHC i regularly get 19mpg mixed driving, 22 highway with nothing more than a switch to full synthetic fluids in the engine, tranny, differential, and wheel bearings.

also living in florida where it is very flat i'm sure helps

I dont believe one word of the 85 pages of this post. Ive had my car more then 5 years and consistently drive as slow as humanly possible. With these habits in mind I am lucky to get the EPA of 16/20 for my 5.0 AWD model. The BEST I have ever gotten is 23 that was when doing 55 for 2 hours. I can see if you tailgate a tractor trailer you may get higher- but there is just no way you see regular 30+ mpg trips with the AC on and doing about 70. SORRY just cant happen, anyone believing this hype should get their head checked.

you're comparing apples to oranges, man!
how can you compare an ALL WHEEL DRIVE V8 with a TWO WHEEL DRIVE V6?
you simply cannot

I agree, you cannot compare a V8 AWD with a V6 2WD (a SOHC 4.0 V6).

As cited before, I have gotten close to the 30mpg in the best of cases, but usually get lower than that; of course, I am speaking about a 4x4, so for me getting more than 20 is already a good thing.

I nearly never use my Explorer for city driving, I have a small city car for that (as many small city cars, not available in the US; well, until recent years), but I am looking fordward to making modifications to achieve better mileage from the X.

Although not impossible, it is still remarkable to get 30mpg as an average figure from a SUV like the Explorer (even with the 2WD). Anyway (regardless of achieving the 30 mpg or not), Aldive's tips for better mileage have been very useful, so thanks for the thread, again.

Wht.stang, Dragon- heard of Purgin; nitorgen or somthing sold at ford dealers. Runs cooler no flux in psi +or- temp. Run it in my 02 ranger $35 install

Yeah, nitrogen has almost no change at all in fluxuation, very little. But most of us don't have a $5K nitrogen tire filler in our shop & majority of the people still run on just plain old fashion air. But yes your are correct, like anything else, you get what you pay for...

Two posts to your credit and you seem to be insulting not only the originator of the thread but all of the folks that have posted since Feb. of 2002.
I think you should read the forum rules and also realize that insults based on opinions by members who have no creditability, due to their lack of longevity, are not tolerated and can lead to your having a short stay on the forum.

fatboy143 headache

Take A MIDOL & log backon after your period ends &you get some. That was my 2nd post,ever in my life!!!!.Wth Stang: forgot to say it was $35 at local dealer in So. Tex. Al;no stock headers-stock exahust manifold! consult your dino guy. just an old wrench with no computer skills.

The SOHC stock exhaust manifolds are as good as any factory exhaust manifold made.

Last edited:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but there's only 82 pages so far :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but there's only 82 pages so far :rolleyes:

Actually there are.

Page 82 of 82 « First < 32 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82

^^^ not sure if you agreeing or disagreeing with me but one mine theirs only 82 pages.... see
4jkvw6.jpg

For us living in the north east or west, in the winter, wouldn't the HHO solution freeze up, rendering it useless?

Hho

Please forgive me for the link posted below, I am open minded and like to have all the facts, well, all the information (to then finally distinguish what may be considered a fact); sorry but being a science guy, I cannot help it.

The link is not intended to channel opinions towards a point of view, in fact I am not in favor or against HHO, just adding more info. resources (since I already seen almost all in favor).

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/hho.shtml

For us living in the north east or west, in the winter, wouldn't the HHO solution freeze up, rendering it useless?

The heat from the electrolysis will rapidly thaw any frozen electrolyte.

Further, I have seen folks using antifreeze as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have heard of people mixing it with rubbing alcohol

Back