My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 84 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

i have a 1991 Eddie Bauer 4.0L and get about 14 mpg around town 16 at the most,what can i do to get about 18 or even better i wub be happy with around 20 or so any sugestions? please

-Sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 1991 Eddie Bauer 4.0L and get about 14 mpg around town 16 at the most,what can i do to get about 18 or even better i wub be happy with around 20 or so any sugestions? please

-Sean

Buy a honda...

Read through this thread... seriously. Read through it, or at least go to the first page and see what he's done.

First step, drive conservatively.

hahah nah i love my explorer hondas cant go mudding lol

thought it couldnt hert to try but no matter what round town nothign gets good MPG

The following is a list of modifications that have resulted in the mileage reported on my 99 4.0 SOHC:
Mobil 1 5 w 30 synthetic motor oil
Mobil 1 ATF in auto tranny ( a complete change )
Mobil 1 in the 3.73 rear end
KKM Tru Rev intake
Custom cat back exhaust system
Remove roof rack
Many coats of Zaino polish
Tire pressure 40 psig
Explorer Express X Spec air dam
Amoco 87 octane gas
Secondary tranny filter ( don’t know if this helps )

Driving habits help also:
No race like starts
Windows up always - usually with AC on
Keep top speed at or below 70 MPH

I'd guess that the synth oil in the tranny and rear end diff gears probably makes a big difference.

These numbers are even better than what I got going from CT to FL, testing with/without acetone additive in my fuel. I went from 16-19 mpg on regular gas, to 21.5-24.5mpg with 3 oz of acetone added to the fuel on an identical leg. But 32+ mpg? That will take some mighty fine lubricants in the drive train. The only place I run synth at the moment is the engine.
Where do you get the synth oil for the tranny and rear end diff gears? What part numbers to order? Next time I change those, I plan to upgrade the lubricants. Seems to make a dramatic improvement.

holy wow 30+ ?? !!

thats the kinda milage that my grandmom gets in her 98' corolla lol !!!!

my 2003 explorer is completely stock, and im averaging 22.6 MPG HW
and about 18.3 city...

when im driving, i dont romp on the throttle, because im driving something bigger than what im use to now... , when im @ a red light - i dont let the RPMs go above 3,000 when accelerating + i dont use my AC ( weather has been awsome last few weeks )

my local truck store - says by just putting in a K&N filter and a TORNADO ( ring with spiraled blades in your intake hose ) he gained 4-5 HP and about 1 1/2 MPG better HW milage - anyone agree with this ?????

my local truck store - says by just putting in a K&N filter and a TORNADO ( ring with spiraled blades in your intake hose ) he gained 4-5 HP and about 1 1/2 MPG better HW milage - anyone agree with this ?????

I wouldn't touch a tornado with a 20 ft pole.

but yes, a less restrictive intake can help (slightly) with MPG and power. I'm not sure about a 4-5hp gain, though.

I wouldn't touch a tornado with a 20 ft pole.

but yes, a less restrictive intake can help (slightly) with MPG and power. I'm not sure about a 4-5hp gain, though.

+1 on the tornado... total waste of money.

Intake-Yes
Tornado- No

Also RPMs above 2,500 when accelerating? You got a heavy feet, I don't even let mines leave the 1000-2000 mark, and it picks up pretty quick for me. :D

yea i still have a slight heavy foot lol, but not as bad as i used to...

i used to have a 2002 subaru WRX ( stock, but with a really good tune )

i was used to shifting @ 4500 RPM's daily driving lol

i will try to bump it down to 2,500 RPM when accelerating off a red light, and record the mileage to look for any gains in MPG

The other day I was driving to my town from the town just south from me, about 3 miles, and I reset the instant mpg calc and without me touching the gas (going about 40-45) i was getting about 28 mpg. Pretty decent with just a stock v8, if I do say so myself.

Quick question on upgrade tune-up parts. Just needing to know good or bad + opinions.
(2005 Ex, 4.0 SOHC)
Advance Auto Parts Shopping List:
K&N OEM replacement air filter (p/n: 332207)
Fram Fuel filter (p/n: g10166)
Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs (p/n: 4458)
Bosch Wire Kit (p/n: 09460)

Thanks!
Matt

Quick question on upgrade tune-up parts. Just needing to know good or bad + opinions.
(2005 Ex, 4.0 SOHC)
Advance Auto Parts Shopping List:
K&N OEM replacement air filter (p/n: 332207)
Fram Fuel filter (p/n: g10166)
Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs (p/n: 4458)
Bosch Wire Kit (p/n: 09460)

Thanks!
Matt

I would not recommend ANY of the items listed above with the "possible" exception of the air filter ( a replacement cone filter would be better ).

I would not recommend ANY of the items listed above with the "possible" exception of the air filter ( a replacement cone filter would be better ).

out of curiosity... why not recommend a fuel filter?
is it because it's a Fram?

albeit, replacing the fuel filter will not gain any performance or mpg, and usually not necessary unless you know you're existing filter is clogged, or almost there.

and I agree about the air filter... although an AEM or any other dry-flow would be my preference. No oiling of air filter necessary = happy MAF sensor :)

out of curiosity... why not recommend a fuel filter?
is it because it's a Fram?

Yes, because its a Fram.

and I agree about the air filter... although an AEM or any other dry-flow would be my preference. No oiling of air filter necessary = happy MAF sensor :)

I recommend an Amsoil oil less filter.

A 2000 mile mileage trial will be performed next week.

Any update on the mileage from the latest run?

^ so it hasn't helped on the hwy then has it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back