1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Discussion in 'Hybrids, Electric, Hydrogen, Bio-diesel, E-85, Fue' started by aldive, February 24, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rabbit91

rabbit91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Surrey
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 V8 lifted 33s
      One of the best posts I've read!

And I thought getting 21.5 gallons into my tank was good. Pretty sure our tanks are 21 gallons

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The tanks are all 22 gallons, as are most big Fords not larger truck tanks. I've owned about thirteen Fords, all 22 gallon tanks except the 94 Mustang I had. I've put well over 22 gallons in a few of them, obviously from poor gas pump readings. I think about 23.2 is the most I ever got in one, and that was my 91 Mark VII, stumbling as I drove into the gas station.

The 4dr's have 22 gallon tanks, the 2dr Explorers are supposed to be 17 gallons.

4. Centaurus5.0

Centaurus5.0 Elite 5.0L Fiddler

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Yessir, you are correct.

Typo on my part. I was 'drafting' a bit when I wrote it....
      :chug:

:thumbsup:

Last edited: October 13, 2016
      • Like Like x 1
      • Disagree Disagree x 1
    5. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      No, they are not 21 gallon tanks, no matter what any book says. They are 22 gallon tanks.

6. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd

:wtf:

7. Turdle

Turdle Moderator Masterbaker Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    8. MrTeeChin

MrTeeChin New Member

2013 Explorer Limited
      This is the most amuzing thread on this forum...... did i say amuzing, i meant AMAZING, because Al has defied all the rules of the big automotive corperate blood suckers. Man 30 miles per gallon. That's dope....

9. MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie Elite Explorer

'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
      FYI, When my message center says I've used 24.0+ Gallons since last refuel I am able to put it just about 25.5 gallons of gas into my 2000 Limited. This will bring the fuel right to the edge of the spout.

10. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I hope nobody is still using the message centers for fuel mileage results. Those are not accurate, every one I've seen or heard about over estimates mileage by about 10%. You have to check fuel mileage by actually writing down the amount of fuel pumped in, and doing the math, for multiple tanks of gas in a row. Checking one is also not accurate, due to obvious differences in conditions when filling, air conditions, parking being level etc. If you check it every time you fill up, then all variances balance out, and you can see accurate mileage figures.

I have on rare occasions pumped more than 22 gallons into my vehicles, each time the gauge being right at empty, not on purpose of course. The most I've seen was 23.4 gallons, and I reported that gas station here, whether it helped to do it or not. I'd never been to that one before, it was near the interstate where I got off, seeing the gauge at empty.

11. MuscleJunkie

I pump in between 24 and 25 gallons at every filling when I am at just about absolute empty. This fills to the spout end.

12. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I would suspect that gas station if you ever do get over 22 gallons in, that should be very rare. I don't want to get the tank that empty, the pump is kept from over heating by the fuel.

13. MuscleJunkie

What is the minimum amount of fuel you think the pump requires for cooling? How much fuel do you think the filler tube holds?

14. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I think a few gallons left should be enough to keep the pump at the same temperature as the gas. I've been lucky too I think, to let the tank get too low sometimes. I'm going to be using higher flowing pumps very soon also. The stock 80 lt/hr level pumps don't have much stress really, but bigger pumps need extra consideration. I'm working on my 99 V6 truck now, and the tank has to be cleaned out from lack of use, so I'm going to put a new pump in it. Not to want to spend extra money I've bought the pump I plan to use for the 306 I'll swap into it later. It's a 255 lt/hr choice I want to use in two of my trucks, maybe three eventually.

The filler neck won't account for much extra fuel, it's not easy to be able to fill the entire volume of the tank, so anything over 22 gallons points to an inaccurate pump at a gas station.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. MuscleJunkie

I run my tank to where on the Message Center it says I have used between 23 and 25 gallons of gas. Every station that I fill up at (across the state and adjoining states) I put in between 24 and 25.5 gallons of gas (which fills to the top of the filler tube)

I do "slow fill" after the pump clicks to top off.

16. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      There could be a couple of gallons of air space left after normal filling, but the time to get more gas to fill that is more than most people will do. LOL, you are too patient Jim.

17. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Now wait a minute... are you saying its a 24 gallon tank? No matter what Don says?

:laugh:

Last edited: June 29, 2017
    18. MuscleJunkie

The most I have pumped into my tank at one time with it filled to the very top of the spout is just a bit over 25 gallons.

19. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Haha! Wow, that is crazy.

I was figuring the filler tube and evap system holds a gallon. :laugh:

20. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      I drove my Explorer as close to empty as I dared. On a 1996, the 'Check Gauge' light comes on when there is roughly 2 gallons left in the tank. (+98' are more precise I've noticed) I drove another 24 miles after the light came on by my tripometer (my speedo read 6mph high). It sputtered once down a long hill coming home last night. This morning I filled up at the gas station a stones throw from my home.

[​IMG]

I fit as much as I could in. This entailed continuously clicking the filler until it wouldn't pump any more and shaking the truck to take out any potential "air bubble" in the full tank. Fuel pump was certified 2 months ago.

[​IMG]

It is indeed 'FULL'.

[​IMG]

I don't know where you guys are fitting another 1-4.5 gallons. I suspect you are getting "hosed" at the pump if your getting more than 21 gallons in.

Factory Ford Manual says 21 Gallons.
      https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals.html/

Now I don't care what anybody else says. :moon:

Last edited: September 10, 2017
    21. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I had a close to empty experience two weeks ago. I drove to work and had no issues, but I knew I was close to empty as I got to work. I regularly buy gas leaving work, at the gas station next to my work.

Unfortunately where I park at work is not a dead flat parking lot. The row along the fence where my designated spot is, slopes downward a very slight amount. That was just enough to uncover the pump inlet/sock. My engine started but only ran for a few seconds, I didn't think of the possible problem, until it sputtered, and quit.

I borrowed the mower gas can and poured a couple of gallons in. I then drove easily to the gas station and filled up, with just over 20 gallons, maybe 20.3, I forgot the exact decimal amount. I'm sure I put in about 2 gallons to get it to start, I put three back in the mower gas can, for the maintenance guy who lent it to me. My tank functions as a 22 gallon tank, as all of my Fords have done.

The tank in the 4dr is about four feet long, the pump sucks gas from about a foot from the back end. If the vehicle is parked downward(front down), it will run out of gas with plenty of gas left, say 1-4 gallons depending on angle.

I can post an exact measurement if needed(I have my 93 spare tank outside). If you were to plug the end holes and fill it out of the vehicle, it's likely close to 25 gallons of volume. But I doubt you can force much over 22 gallons in one from empty, in the vehicle. Jim has some interesting experience with his one Explorer.

22. rabbit91

rabbit91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Surrey
      2000 V8 lifted 33s
      Multiple times I've filled more than 21 gallons, sucks your tank doesn't hold as much :dunno::snicker:

23. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      :D

Yup, it's a real Debbie Downer.

I think it's about time to drop in a K&N. That should make up for the difference in my lack of fuel capacity. I hear they add 1-3 mpg!

Sucks to be me sometimes...

:laugh:

:chug:

24. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Next your gunna tell me 5.0L's are really 4.9L's and 5th Gen Explorers are reliable and safe to drive...

:D <===== mah troll face

• Like Like x 1
    25. rabbit91

rabbit91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Surrey
      2000 V8 lifted 33s
      Don't forget sound and huge power increases !

26. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I talk straight, that's just me, and yes it rubs some people the wrong way. I've never been politically correct or properly tactful, just honest to a fault.

Here's an example; the 351's, all of them are actually 352's. The displacement is identical to a 352 FE big block, and Ford decided to misname all of the 351's because of the old 352's. Why in 1969 did anyone think an old defunct/rare big block name would ever confuse people. I call them 351's because I grew up with them, but I knew the actual displacement too.

The stroker 302's with a 3.25" crank, those are all 332's, not 331's. I plan to build one soon, and I'll call it a 332. I plan a 351 for my Ranchero, but it'll be a 302 block with a 3.4" crank, and a .060" over bore, thus the same displacement as all 351's, but with 3V heads, so a 351-3V on the air cleaner decal.

Last edited: September 16, 2017