My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 86 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 05 Sport Trac is bone stock (see my sig) with just under 42,000 miles on it and the original tires. On two separte trips from MA to NJ and back, I got 22 MPG using cruise control and driving at 58 miles per hour on the highway (in the right lane of course!). There was minimal traffic.

When I drive to/from work (8 miles one way, 4 miles on a highway), I still use cruise control when it is safe. I keep the RPMs under 2500 when I can, and I get 17.5 MPG.

Not too bad in my view.

I noticed no difference in gas mileage when I swapped to a 200 amp alternator ( with overdrive pulley ).
Was the idle smoother? Did it improve the acceleration 0-60 time?

I've heard these bosch plugs really do make a difference. A friend had them in his toyota minivan and when he took it to get the inspection sticker renewed. They told him that the engine/emmisions is running as if it was a brand new out of the factory... on a 9 year old car...

New guy here

The PCM tune is a massive part of saving gasoline in today's vehicles. If you have the stock programming in your PCM, then you are wasting gasoline. I fall into that category still, but not for much longer. Regards,

I have not had to work on cars for a long time and then they had a carb and not all of this new computer stuff.

SO, what is a PCM tune, and how do I get one???

This is a great site!!

Thanks for all the info

I wouldn't hit a wild dog in the arse with a Bosch spark plug.
funny but i'm talking about the FUEL INJECTORS in the link i posted that package a type three into a body that will work in the older 4.0's.at least thats what i think the economy upgrade injectors in the second row are

i trust aldive's mileage. i've gotten 23 MPG on my first gen on the highway, and that wasn't driving conservately either, and going through the mountains. i'm sure that the SOHC is a much more efficient engine (my friend's dad has one in his sport trac) and that with 2wd, he is certainly getting what he claims.

plus i havne't really had much luck with bosch plugs either. put them in my nissan once and they kept getting fouled up. they're good for lawnmowers tho. we put it in every 2 & 4 stroke engine we tune up here at work.

My '91 4 door 4x4 gets 23 city/25 highway, but then, I have a M50D and manual hubs. Mine is all stock, 235/75r15s with the roof rack and sunroof, plus a police spotlight. Not to mention my really effed up driver's side fender and front bumper, so if anything, I have increased air resistance.

im just doomed! 1st off i got the legendary SOHC...second the AT2 grabbers prolly dont help and because im a vulonteer fire fighter i have a full strobe lightbar and 2 antenia's on the roof......i guess i have to be happy with 13.4 mile to the Gal........

im just doomed! 1st off i got the legendary SOHC...second the AT2 grabbers prolly dont help and because im a vulonteer fire fighter i have a full strobe lightbar and 2 antenia's on the roof......i guess i have to be happy with 13.4 mile to the Gal........

The 4.0L sohc is actually more fuel efficient and more powerful then the 4.0L ohv

what is your gearing,maybe 3.73 or 4.10 would net you better.i get almost 18 regularly on 33" tires? all no freeway

what is your gearing,maybe 3.73 or 4.10 would net you better.i get almost 18 regularly on 33" tires? all no freeway

what gearing u have? i have no clue what my gearing is or how to go bout changing it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back