my tail lights and cluster lights went out, but everything else lights up | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my tail lights and cluster lights went out, but everything else lights up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Advanced does, atleast the stores by me.

well fellas, i solved the mystery!!! i was sitting here at work racking my brain about why these damn tailights werent working, then i started looking at the diagram ranchero sent me for the taillamp harness. i didnt have my miltimeter with me but i went out to the parking lot, and started testing the lights again. the brake pedal lit the light up, and the turn signals were working, so i knew it wasnt the bulb. so i started following the plastic hose from where it connects on the rear left of the frame, to where it makes its way toward the front of the car.

then i noticed a small dent in the plastic hose. it wasnt even severed, just a dent like if a rock hit it. so i cut the plastic hose and what do i see, the yellow, green white and brown wires passing through. guess which wire was severed!? the brown one! it was like a one in a million rock shot that hit that hose and cut that one wire because the rest of them were fine. so i pulled out my trusty leather mean, and reconnected the brown wire together and taped it with box tape so i can make it through the night. im going to fix it properly in the morning but at least i know what happened and now i can get home safely tonight.

just want to thank everyone again who chimed in with tips, advice and help. you guys are awesome. the one thing i want to know is how this shorted out my headlight switch which i had to replace last night as well. now on to that damn ABS light!

Glad to hear you found it. About the ABS light, does your abs kick in when coming to a stop going straight or when turning the wheels coming to a stop over a bump?

i havent tried stopping hard yet. im going to test it out this morning. i will def let you know what i find out. thanks again for helping with the electrical problems.

If it does what I described then the sensors need either cleaned or replaced. Where are the ABS sensors on the front of the 2wd's ?

the sensors are on the rear. i just got back from my ford dealer parts dept. and ordered a 20 tooth speedometer sensor for just under 6 bucks. the light just stays on constantly, and i didnt push it too hard but i dont think the abs is kicking in at all. im going to try to clean the sensors, and see if that turns the light off. even if i get them cleaned and get the new speedo sensor in and the abs starts to work again, will that turn the light off or will i have to get it reset?

You'll have to either disconnect the battery for about twenty minutes or go to the parts store that have a OBDII + ABS scanner and clear it out.

Glad you figured out the tail light issue.

thanks pup, i even looked at the plastic hose for cuts the first time but it wasnt until i opened it up where there was a little dent did i find the severed brown wire.

Back