My temperature gauge was fluctuating on a long trip. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My temperature gauge was fluctuating on a long trip.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
today after many spraying of permatex I'm sealed. I thought I had the pin hole leak but it was discoloration. I gave it 2 more coatings and no leak from transfer case. That thing was stress cracked like an egg and a hole in it from the original owner the side of a baseball. Curb or rock most likely. They towed a 24 foot holiday all over the country.
Anyway I replaced the original 215-70-14 with 235-75-15 truck all season mud and snow. Also this dropped my 3:73 rear to 3:33. My truck rides like it has air suspension so soft because of the thicker side wall of a truck tire. The ang at big o knew his stuff because I was going for cheaper bfg ta not a truck tire and he said the van is 4,000 pounds today's SUV are maybe 2800-3200 and are just station wagons.
Anyway I attached the iPad under the rv mirror turned on the gps ran cruise control for 25 miles out 25 back. The factory old spedo is 5 mph slower with the new bigger tires. I set it at 30 gps 35 40-45 50-55 60-66 70-76. Not bad.
But like any hot rod there's allways something I suspected bad water temp sending unit. My temp would hold in normal mode for 10 miles then bounce like a tack swinging back and forth for 5 seconds then normal. 20 minutes repeat up and down normal then the last 30 minutes normal. Got home parked it open the hood no hot smell no hiss so eather I buy a new compleat temp unit with a true temp setting or just replace the sending unit. I really don't want to do a true gauge package water,oil,. It's allway something with the pug shuttle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now you can cruise to Tucson with the van.

Now you can cruise to Tucson with the van.
Do you think factory sending unit or a elec temp gauge sending unit.and elec oil pressure I'm Leary of true temp I had a sun unit in my firebird the hose broke and it was a mess inside the car.

Factory cluster gets the job done. Change the sensor and call it a day.

Check the coolant level, and the thermostat. It's possible that the coolant level was a little low or that the thermostat might not be good.
Thank you.

Back