and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

My vehicle shakes when I go above 60 MPH.

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by pwally1981, July 11, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. pwally1981

pwally1981 New Member

City, State:
      Alvordton, Ohio
      Year and Model:
      1994 XLT
      Just wanted to say hi, I just joined. I have a problem that I have not yet been able to solve. I have a 94' ford explorer, 4x4, 4.0. It's a great vehicle, but heres the thing when I'm driving and get up to 60mph it's great, but as soon as I try to speed up, the whole truck starts shaking. It doesnt do it all the time, but it does it a lot. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. rileyrs

rileyrs Active Member

Year and Model:
      2002 ranger
      welcome!

id start simple with an alignment and balance.
      good luck

4. fixxxer

fixxxer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Aurora, Co.
      Year and Model:
      93 XLT 4X4
      Do you feel the shaking through the steering wheel?
      I'd check all the fluids, especially the differentials, check all of your u-joints, especially the main drive shaft. Inspect the flywheel for cracks, missing teeth, loose or missing flywheel bolts, harmonic-balancer. All 4 tires the same size and pressure? Have the wheels been balanced recently? missing any lug-nuts or have any broken wheel studs?

5. Sams01XplrSprt

Sams01XplrSprt Southern Cali Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
      Year and Model:
      2001 Sport (sold)
      welcome

6. pwally1981

pwally1981 New Member

City, State:
      Alvordton, Ohio
      Year and Model:
      1994 XLT
      I resently had to replace the rotors and noticed the hub was not tight to spec. I replaced the bearings just in case and tightened them to spec. It reduced the shaking a bit, I've checked tire pressure, it's good. The stearing wheel shakes a lot, but only if i hold at 65mph if I reduce speed it goes away or if I want to speed at like 85mph it smooths out. The next thing on my list was to dis mount the tires, clean beads, remount and balance. I bought it used it never realy did this til I started tp drive it full time.....Thanks for the info I will definantly check that out while I'm working on it.

7. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! I've renamed, and moved your thread to the stock 91-94 section. I had this problem once on my 88, and it was a slightly bent driveshaft. Check your alignment, and the tires to see if they were properly balanced.

8. v_bayne03

v_bayne03 New Member

City, State:
      Bloomfield, MO
      Year and Model:
      2006 Ford Ranger
      I got a 2006 ranger. i got a slight vibration in the rear end somewhere. when i turn left it gets worse. when i turn right it stops completely. Think this is a rear wheel bearing or you think its the driveshaft or u joints?

9. runningred92

runningred92 Active Member

City, State:
      Nashville,TN
      Year and Model:
      '92 XLT
      I thought all first gens had a little shake and shimmy from about 65 to 80 but from what you are saying its worse than normal. I would definitely check the u-joints and drive shaft first but it may be as simple as just needing an alignment.