My weekend SUCKED | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My weekend SUCKED

Post number 76 has been selected as best answered.

I'll get a full story up soon. Just got back. Short story - the car infront of me rearended the car infront of him, came to a dead stop while I was going 60mph. I swerved, couldn't get out of the way. I dont think damage is as bad as it looks, but my car is in SC and I'm in VA. No one was hurt, my gf wasn't wearing a seatbelt and she was ok (and yes, I do yell at her all the time to wear her seatbelt).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SVO said:
no not actually, with this lift I would snatch up a 4dr diesel dually and and move it into the shop for dismantling.

Plus how do you think I moved my junk arounf when I had the motor and tranny out? Push? You have to be outta your mind, I'm too old to push!

I was kinda pissed off when they picked it up like that.. I mean it's one thing if it's your own truck and you're being careful to line it up right yada yada yada.. but I dont think the guy cared at all when he was picking it up. I personally think that that is a bad way to carry cars around - definetly not how they were ment to be moved.

I'll get to more photos this weekend... work has been busy as hell...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Here are the rest of the pictures... makes me sad =(

I cut out the driver's side airbag for sentimental value... I also grabbed the ford emblem out of the grille =)

10058P1010010_Medium_.jpg

10058P1010009_Medium_.jpg

10058P1010008_Medium_.jpg

10058P1010007_Medium_.jpg

10058P1010006_Medium_.jpg

10058P1010004_Medium_1.jpg

10058P1010003_Medium_1.jpg

10058P1010002_Medium_1.jpg

10058P1010001_Medium_.jpg

Those make me sad too.. Found a replacement vehicle?

I think you made the right decision. That looks pretty messy. Is the frame rail bent? Just looks like the body mount is a little rough.

sucks, hate for that to happen, but glad u all were okay as good as u could be! what's the new set of wheels your looking at?

Here is a question...why does it look like all the fender bolt mounts are either ground shiny and then rusted or just rusted?

Crankcase said:
Here is a question...why does it look like all the fender bolt mounts are either ground shiny and then rusted or just rusted?

I had my dual compressor truck horn mounted on the frame there... I had sprayed the mounting hardware w/ rustolium after I bolted it on.

as for new wheels - I have commute 95 miles a day for my co-op (basically extended internship while you're in college where you take off a semester of school and do work related to your major). So right now I'm getting a 1989 Civic that my uncle was getting rid of.

I dont know what I'm going to do about new wheels... I can't stand not having a nice car. I could buy another explorer w/ the money I make form my co-op, but I think it will be a more financially good idea to stick w/ the civic for a while, save money, and then once I have a job after school - get a car then.

I *really* want to save up and buy a 1968 Shelby GT 500... I would be the happiest man ever - but they are like $70-120k so......

Anyone have some wisdom as what to do w/ my money - get another explorer - or save it away.

Also - I sold my box to someone on the forum... dont know what I'm going to do w/ the wheels. They're so beat up I dont think I'd get the money for 'em that I want to get...

You probably should save your money away.. But I just bought a new Explorer. I have buyers remorse lol :(

hydroxy said:
I had my dual compressor truck horn mounted on the frame there... I had sprayed the mounting hardware w/ rustolium after I bolted it on..

I mean the 10 or so bolts on the top edge of both fenders....The ones right where the hood lowers over.???

hydroxy said:
Anyone have some wisdom as what to do w/ my money - get another explorer - or save it away.

Pat, The civic will get you there and back for cheap, and you wont care about putting miles on it. So really, why do you need a nice ride? You already have a gf and do you really want to park a truck you care about in the fraternity house parking lot or down town?

I can send you the prospectus for an Evergreen mutual fund that I invested alot of my co-op money from last year in.

Allow yourself a "splurge budget" and put the rest in a fairly aggresive mutual fund and let it work for you. Trust me, when you see the earn potential/trends in just 3 years for a $5k investment, you'll wish you would've gotten in earlier... I do

hydroxy said:

As Hokie said, put it away in an agressive fund and let the dividends roll back into the fund. You'll be amazed at how quickly a $5k investment can start piling up. I was willed $10k in Exxon stock about 11 years ago. I did nothing except plow my dividends back into the stock. 4 years after that, I had $20k in stock. That made a nice down payment on my house. I have since re-invested and hope to retire at 55. If you stay disciplined and keep re-investing the dividends, almost anyone can retire early.

JDraper said:
I have since re-invested and hope to retire at 55. If you stay disciplined and keep re-investing the dividends, almost anyone can retire early.

Wow, engineers can retire at 55? I need to get a job where you work, are they hiring?

My dad turned 55 today.

Hokie said:
Wow, engineers can retire at 55? I need to get a job where you work, are they hiring?

My dad turned 55 today.

Actually we are hiring engineers right now. We need mechanical and electrical engineers. Company is GE Inspection Technologies. We're a subsidiary of General Electric.

JDraper said:
Actually we are hiring engineers right now. We need mechanical and electrical engineers. Company is GE Inspection Technologies. We're a subsidiary of General Electric.

Doh, I have another year of ME classes to go. I remember researching your company before when I was looking for co-op's, definately looks interesting

cars can be fixed, people can't. That's all that matters... Hey, the rim's are ok...

BauerOnDubs said:
cars can be fixed, people can't. That's all that matters... Hey, the rim's are ok...

Indeed; if you can fix it with money, it ain't broke.

wow i love ur truck and that just sucks! as other ppl have said it is probably a write off by the insurence company but you could fix it up, find a good body shop with a frame stretcher for cheep (mine was very very cheep!)
just wondering but what fraternity are you and hokie in?
well gl with everying and if you do end up totaling it....well theres always switching over to a sport : )

Back