Navigation DVD Incompatible Disk Error | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Navigation DVD Incompatible Disk Error

kcattorney

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Limited 4.6
Just bought a 2007 LTD with Navigation. It came with a FLM Navigation System North America Map Version 4P disk. However, when I put the disk in, I got an error message saying that the disk was "invalid," that the system detected an "incompatible disk". It says that the disk may be dirty, to remove the disk and clean off the smudges. I've done that (it was clean to begin with, though), and tried re-inserting it several times on 3 different days. I always receive the same error message though. I put the DVD in my computer to see if somehow it is damaged, but my computer reads the disk fine and shows all of the files on it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe if you put an older version Nav disk after a newer one in it won't read due to upgraded files. Most likely the previous owner kept the newer disk.

Just bought a 2007 LTD with Navigation. It came with a FLM Navigation System North America Map Version 4P disk. However, when I put the disk in, I got an error message saying that the disk was "invalid," that the system detected an "incompatible disk". It says that the disk may be dirty, to remove the disk and clean off the smudges. I've done that (it was clean to begin with, though), and tried re-inserting it several times on 3 different days. I always receive the same error message though. I put the DVD in my computer to see if somehow it is damaged, but my computer reads the disk fine and shows all of the files on it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Is that an original or a burned disk? Some of the burned ones have problems. If you can read the files on your computer try just burning a fresh disk. Or, you can buy original older disks (4P is pretty old, BTW, they are up to 9P with the annual updates now) off eBay pretty cheap. Try going to 6P or 7P and get updated maps to boot.

=Vic=

Thanks for the tips!

I hadn't considered either one of these. I'll try them both & post what I find out.

Loaded 8P disk and still have same problem

OK, I bought an 8P disk today and loaded it. It accepted the disk and spent about 2 minutes going through the loading process. It gave me a message that the disk was successfully loaded and the system needed to restart to complete installation. The system shut down, the Ford logo came on the nav screen. I let it sit for a couple of minutes, then hit the NAV button to start it back up. I then got the exact same error message I got with the 4P disk that came with the car - invalid disk detected, check for dirt on disk, etc.

Has anybody seen this? Does the dealer need to do some sort of reflash? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OK, I bought an 8P disk today and loaded it. It accepted the disk and spent about 2 minutes going through the loading process. It gave me a message that the disk was successfully loaded and the system needed to restart to complete installation. The system shut down, the Ford logo came on the nav screen. I let it sit for a couple of minutes, then hit the NAV button to start it back up. I then got the exact same error message I got with the 4P disk that came with the car - invalid disk detected, check for dirt on disk, etc.

Has anybody seen this? Does the dealer need to do some sort of reflash? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, that doesn't sound good. I had the same issue on an '08 Mountaineer when we bought it last Spring, but it was fixed simply by using an original disk instead of the copy it came with. It sounds like the DVD player may be defective. If you bought your LTD at a dealer they should have a 30-60 day warranty and perhaps you can get the Nav unit replaced. Otherise they are around $6-700 on eBay.

=Vic=

Thanks. Well, I think it's time to take it by the dealer to have them take a look. I'll post what I find out.

OK, I've done some research. I found repair services offered on ebay for the navigation systems. I called a couple of them. For either $124 or $189 plus $15 shipping, they claim to repair this problem. Apparently, it's not that rare. I don't know if they replace the laser reader in the Navigation DVD drive or just adjust it, but that seems to be what happens. Either the laser gets too weak to read the DVD disk properly or it gets out of adjustment. So, I'm going to try this approach and see what happens. I'll post once I get more info.

I know its an older post, but I am having the identical issue. The OP never posted results or what was done to fix it.

I know its an older post, but I am having the identical issue. The OP never posted results or what was done to fix it.

Hi Fire488,

If you've already tried cleaning the DVD and you're still receiving that error, I suggest a trip to your dealership to get this corrected.

Rebecca

Hi All,
I have the exact same error coming up with my 2007 NAV system.
Thank you for the info on how to correct it.
I would also like to know if and how I can get the bluetooth added to my system. I had bought this NAV system off E-Bay for my 2007 Explorer and I only had a stock radio.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

CHEERS!!!

The above Error is caused by a Bad DVD clamp in the Pioneer Avic Ford Lincoln navigation units.

Only 2 solutions.

Download manual for your model number radio Avic radio from manualsparadise dot com. There is a service manual how to open radio and Technical Service Bulletin on how to repair error. Basically it is a 1 cent dap of grease that you put on dvd drive clamp. Easy to do but caree first of removing all electrical connections or you will cut them.

Second solution is find a similar system that is for sale on ebay. It should have same plugs in back as your radio be a pioneer avic and looks same size and shape. If lucky you can find a cheap one and replace the DVD module only. That is very easy.

All other solutions DO NOT WORK. Above will fix the problem. It is not the laser that is bad. Hope it helps.

The above Error is caused by a Bad DVD clamp in the Pioneer Avic Ford Lincoln navigation units.

Only 2 solutions.

Download manual for your model number radio Avic radio from manualsparadise dot com. There is a service manual how to open radio and Technical Service Bulletin on how to repair error. Basically it is a 1 cent dap of grease that you put on dvd drive clamp. Easy to do but caree first of removing all electrical connections or you will cut them.

Second solution is find a similar system that is for sale on ebay. It should have same plugs in back as your radio be a pioneer avic and looks same size and shape. If lucky you can find a cheap one and replace the DVD module only. That is very easy.

All other solutions DO NOT WORK. Above will fix the problem. It is not the laser that is bad. Hope it helps.
At it's best, the factory GPS when working is a very poor system. Buy a Garmin, which easier to use, more accurate, better resolution and many have free lifetime map updates. Cost for about 200-300.00.

At it's best, the factory GPS when working is a very poor system. Buy a Garmin, which easier to use, more accurate, better resolution and many have free lifetime map updates. Cost for about 200-300.00.

If you do the grease dap in the Technical Service Bulletin from manualsparadise dot com then it costs a few cents.

But after market systems have much more options including DVD video, SD card navigation and backup camera.

Only 2 solutions.

Do you know where to put the grease. I have a spare for parts unit that I know that the navigation worked, but now that is giving me the same error. Kind of like it is not the issue and it is something else.

Do you know where to put the grease. I have a spare for parts unit that I know that the navigation worked, but now that is giving me the same error. Kind of like it is not the issue and it is something else.

It is placed on the DVD drive Clamp once you separate the DVD module from the navigation radio unit. It is held by tiny screws and has a paper backing that is circular and attaches around the hole in the DVD disk. For pictures look at manualparadise dot com.

Basically the paper disk is worn out from heat of the car and drive running and gease increases the grip.

Hope it helps.

It is placed on the DVD drive Clamp once you separate the DVD module from the navigation radio unit. It is held by tiny screws and has a paper backing that is circular and attaches around the hole in the DVD disk. For pictures look at manualparadise dot com.

Basically the paper disk is worn out from heat of the car and drive running and gease increases the grip.

Hope it helps.

I looked up the service bulletin and they were charging me to see it so I did not download it. Thanks for the information. What kind of grease do I use?

I looked up the service bulletin and they were charging me to see it so I did not download it. Thanks for the information. What kind of grease do I use?

They specify in the manual. I downloaded after i paid but lost the location. It is a tiny amount talking milligrams probably. I would think Very high temperature grease. The dvd drive gets super hot.

Hope it helps.

Do you know which TSB it is? There are 3 listed on manuals paradise. I downloaded the manual but can't find anything other than instructions for disassembly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for late reply. It is honestly self explanatory. Once the Avec radio is out, you see 3 mechanisms each in its own module. Cd changer, dvd navigation drive. And radio computer module. They are held by tiny screws easily figured out. The ONLY THING TO BE CAREFUL is the ribbon cables, they connect each mechanism to one above it and computer so UNLOCK the cables gently!!! Do not yank or you will destroy them as i did intially. Once dvd drive is off. In center is clamping mechanism and two round center discs that you apply grease in between. Good luck.

Another way is buy the dvd mechanism of another lincoln ford avec drive even if different car as long as same size and electric plugs self obvious. Easy plug and play....Watch for ribbon cables are cut easily!

Back