• Register Today It's free!

Navigation questions

gadabout

Reaction score
City, State
Melville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
I am the new owner of a 2017 Explorer. (My 4th Explorer!) Overall, I love it, but the Navigation system is driving me crazy. I have a pile of questions that I'm looking to get answers for. Hopefully, someone can help. Thanks in advance!

1. How do I enter a POI location using latitude/longitude coordinates?
  2. How do I save my current vehicle location as a Favorite?
  3. Is there a way to import a list of Favorites from some other GPS system, like a Garmin?
  4. Similarly, is there a way to export my current Favorites to a file or something for safekeeping, in case something happens and the Favorites get lost?
  5. When I open the Navigation screen and call up the Favorites, the list is empty. But if I go back to the previous menu and then return to the Favorites list again, they are all there. Seems like a bug.
  6. When I try to edit the name of a Favorite, the selection comes up blank and I have to enter the new name from scratch. (As opposed to being able to modify the pre-existing name.) Annoying!
  7. If I've edited a Favorite name, the new name does not show up in destination lists, waypoint lists, etc. It only shows the address associated with the Favorite.
As you can probably tell from my questions, I am a bit disappointed with the Navigation system. I will chalk some of it up to me not knowing all of the nuances yet, but I'm not so sure. My ten year old Garmin, which should be considered obsolete by now, still seems to do a better job than this system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations on the new 2017 Explorer_____. Don't forget to update your profile with the trim level as well. I just got mine a couple weeks ago and haven't checked out the Navigation since I rarely use it. Have you checked out the Sync 3 section of your Owner's Manual to see if some of the answers are shown there?

Peter

Thanks Peter, will do. I did check out the Owner's Manual but I'm not finding answers to my questions there. The manual did mention latitude/longitude, but I can't seem to find a what to enter it anywhere in any of the menus.

Thanks Peter, will do. I did check out the Owner's Manual but I'm not finding answers to my questions there. The manual did mention latitude/longitude, but I can't seem to find a what to enter it anywhere in any of the menus.
I just checked my nav out quickly on a short trip and it is set up quite differently from Sync 2. I didn't see anything obvious on the screens about setting current POI so I guess I'll have to check out the Manual for sure.

Peter

I also love it but the navigation inputs are a bit different than I'm used to. Have to say though the voice command rocks. I wish you could sort the favorites. I typed them in originally in alphabetical order, but as I add new ones they're out of order and there is no way I've found to sort them. If anyone knows a way please fill us in.

Back