Need advice on driveplate and oil pan shims 96 2wd 6 cyl OHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice on driveplate and oil pan shims 96 2wd 6 cyl OHC

jammor

Reaction score
City, State
Conyers ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer XLT
I forgot to mark the exact of torque converter to driveplate when I removed my auto trans, 1996 explorer, 2wd OHC engine.
One transmission mechanic says driveplate (four "bolt holes") can ONLY be installed on one orientation- but I don't think that's true.

I only have four holes in driveplatea--no holes cut out to balance it, etc.

My mechanic says I can just put in back in in any or the four possible positions if there are no CLEAR punch marks or other indicators on driveplate.

There is a bit of whiteout where someone clearly marked the driveplate where it mates with the spacer between palte and end of crank---but this only has 6 driveplate bolts and they are symetrically drilled through the plate as well (meaning I can install plate to spacer to crank any way I wish!

I think I'm overthinking this.

One more question--Do I really need those stupid shims that go between oil pan and transmission when I put it all back together? Took oil pan off and lost one shim--Advance Auto staff's minds are blown "I've never heard of that kind of shim".....they come in colers, yellow, blue,red. The one I have is yellow.--missing one--Its either .01, .02 or .03 inches in thickness. I cant believe that could matter in mating trans to oil pan and avoiding future leaks..Comments?

Thanks all

Back