It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
I have an opportunity to purchase a new 12k hydro mile marker winch on the cheap.

http://milemarker.com/wordpress/?page_id=165

Specs on this H series 12k are in a downloadable pdf in that link.

I would just like to know what you guys think on making this work, what needs to be done to make it work, and if the stock 2nd gen 4.0 ohv PS pump is strong enough, compatible enough to make it work.

If this is possible with little modification, great! If this is just way too much to bother with, thats okay as well. Just don't know enough to make a decision.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can make it work but I'm not sure the pump can meet the 3.5GPM figure that's stated on the PDF. However, even if the pump can't flow at this rate, it will still pull, just not as fast (RPM wise). As for making it "work", all you really need to do is tap the high pressure side and build a much larger reservoir (hydraulic winch will heat up the fluid much faster than the R&P will). Fortunately, the SOHC does come with a remote reservoir so you wont have to modify the pump itself. However, the challenge will be building a large reservoir in the little space you have to work with (under the hood) while making sure the pump always has fluid even in off-camber situations (which means you want to try to position the reservoir directly over the pump).

And just keep in mind that this is a hydraulic winch and as such, if your engine doesnt work, your winch doesnt work.

Thanks IZ.

So could an SOHC resv be added to my existing system? I will have extra room after the ABS HCU is removed.

The owner of it now states he used it in his Toyo 4 cyl with stock pump with no problems. Now from what I have read, the Toyo steering set ups are better than my set up any day of the week, as they can be used for hydro assist. So is comparing mine to his apples to oranges?

Thanks IZ.

So could an SOHC resv be added to my existing system? I will have extra room after the ABS HCU is removed.

The owner of it now states he used it in his Toyo 4 cyl with stock pump with no problems. Now from what I have read, the Toyo steering set ups are better than my set up any day of the week, as they can be used for hydro assist. So is comparing mine to his apples to oranges?
Yeah it's kind of hard to compare pumps just on the vehicle it came from because they could have the same or very different displacement ratings (the same pump are sometimes used in many different models from the same manufacturer). Maybe try digging a bit for the specs of the Toy's pump (displacement/flow and pressure specifications).

You could put the reservoir where the ABS stuff used to be but the fluid probably wont make it to the pump if the vehicle is trying to climb up a steep incline.. or leaning over quite a bit on the driver's side. I haven't touched a SOHC engine bay for a while so I've probably forgotten the exact layout - so take what I just said with a large grain of salt. But the important thing is that when you locate the reservoir, you have to make sure that pump is always being fed or else it will spin dry.

Honestly, this sounds like a job for someone that has all the tools (like a CNC & exotic weld) to fabricate a nice resv box and can plumb with best of them. Too many "Ifs" in this set up for me to spend this kind of Money for it not too work. Sure, I could sell it for more than I got it for maybe, but I'm out the fab time & money in the process.

If anybody wants to give this winch a try, PM me and I will give you the hook up. It really is an awesome deal, if you can make it work.

Back